Ariel Help!!!!

H

holla2006

Right now in my house we have one arial, obviousely on top of the house lol. The problem is this only run's to the living room!!!!!

Im looking for a alternative so that i can get a single into my bedroom. Ive just purchased a Sharp Aquos Aquos 37" Widescreen LCD (LC37XD1E), which has freeview. So can someone please post a link to the best portible arials avaible, or give me some other option that i can do!!

Thanks for any help people.

Since you are using an outside aerial for your main TV the chances of getting a good reliable signal using a set-top aerial indoors are slim.
You would be best to get a 1 in, 2 output booster amp.

Since you are using an outside aerial for your main TV the chances of getting a good reliable signal using a set-top aerial indoors are slim.
You would be best to get a 1 in, 2 output booster amp.

could you give me a link to such a device on ebay!

If you're in the UK you can buy them in any hardware outlet such as Argos, B&Q, Homebase, Maplins etc.

If you're in the UK you can buy them in any hardware outlet such as Argos, B&Q, Homebase, Maplins etc.

Ive never seen one of these devices before, can you please show me a link to such a product!

So how does it work, i just plug this baby into my living room arial plug, then feed this into my bedroom??

So how does it work, i just plug this baby into my living room arial plug, then feed this into my bedroom??

Unplug the aerial from the TV, plug it into the aerial input, get a male to male flylead and plug it in to one of the outputs...the other end in to your TV, plug the other output by a longer length of coax in to the TV in the bedroom.

Right now in my house we have one arial, obviousely on top of the house lol. The problem is this only run's to the living room!!!!!

Im looking for a alternative so that i can get a single into my bedroom. Ive just purchased a Sharp Aquos Aquos 37" Widescreen LCD (LC37XD1E), which has freeview. So can someone please post a link to the best portible arials avaible, or give me some other option that i can do!!

Thanks for any help people.

Have you not thought about installing a separate aerial in the loft if that is possible ?

There are negatives with installing in the loft, ie. interference from surrounding objects & materials in the loft but this is usually more so with analogue reception. With digital for most of the time you can get away with it.

Just a suggestion.

You'd stick the aerial in the loft, then make a small hole in the corner of the ceiling to run coax cable into the bedroom for the TV.

can you use an existing main roof analogue aerial to receive digital or would you need to in the future upgrade arial to digital.... how does an anologue aerial pick up a digital signal.... also as an anologue aeriel picks up digital, does the digi box just convert the signal into pure digital?? (if that all makes sence).

Could you not just run a separate cable from the main aerial to the upstairs tv, or otherwise like alrady pointed out run a long lenght of coax from downstairs to upstairs.... although wont this weaken signal and be no point, or is that what the digital booster is for??

Also if you instal an aerial in the attik is it not just as well running another cable from the main aerial on roof for the upstairs... or does it not work like this??

Thanks

how does an anologue aerial pick up a digital signal.... also as an anologue aeriel picks up digital, does the digi box just convert the signal into pure digital?? (if that all makes sence).

You are making the assumption that there are analogue and digital aerials; in fact there are just aerials that differ in various ways. e.g. some can only pick up some frequencies and some can pick up more; Some work over longer distances; things like the height can effect this also.
They all receive UHF signals; the UHF frequencies used by digital will be different from those used by analogue on any particular transmitter so you may need a different aerial that can get the frequencies being used by digital in your area.
These frequencies are different from different transmitters.
For instance if you are in Guildford UHF 41 is used to carry a range of digital stations (called a Multiplex) but if you are in Tunbridge Wells 41 is used to carry analogue ITV1.
So with digital the one UHF channel can be used to carry multiple stations but when used to carry analogue it can only carry one.

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/tx_lse.html

The blocks of digital channels (Multiplex) come in the same groups all over the country but using different UHF channels.

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/dtt_channels.html

Hope that makes some sense. :D

As you say the TV or STB converts the UHF signal to digital (or analogue).

Richard

There's no such thing as a digital aerial, i think the word "digital aerial" was made up for people to tell the diffenece between a wide band and narrow band aerial, you would class the narrow band as anologue and the wide band as digital.
I have two aerials in the loft one wide band and one narrow, they both pick up freeview just fine although i get a better signal of the wide band one, this is because it as a wider coverage of the band and picks up the digital channels that are spead across the band, anologue signals are transmitted in one section of the band rather than spead across it for a selected region so the narrow band aerial is better for anologue.
Wide band "digital aerials" tend to have less gain due to the amount of band they need to cover so they tend to be much bigger.
Hope this clear things up a little.

Whether or not you need a **different** aerial for digital transmissions depends entirely on your transmitter.

Using mine as an example - there is nothing AT ALL to be gained by me replacing my group C/D aerial with a wideband one; my transmitter transmits all the analogue and digital material within group C/D frequencies.

Whether or not you need a **different** aerial for digital transmissions depends entirely on your transmitter.

Using mine as an example - there is nothing AT ALL to be gained by me replacing my group C/D aerial with a wideband one; my transmitter transmits all the analogue and digital material within group C/D frequencies.

In fact there is often much to be lost by installing a wideband aerial in the above example

The original group c/d aerial will get all the channels available from the transmitter

A wideband aerial may also pull in unwanted signals from other transmitters and, in periods of high pressure weather systems, from as far away as European transmitters

so it should be okay to use current aeirel (which I don't know it's type, all I know is it is old!) should not need upgrading, as a normal roof aeriel can pick up digital signals and be converted to the tv by stb as obviously without the stb the digital tv frquency could not be viewed.

so you don't necessarily need to change your aeirel, because I tried an old stb in the front room and it worked fine.... so why the need for all these fancy aeriels mentioned above??

this same stb however does not work at my friends brothers house or upstairs in her house..... which is strange..... any suggestions why??

also it sounds like you would need a roof full of aeriels to pick up all these different frequencies!!

The only need for these bigger better aerials is because the signal just isn't good enough for digital , with digital you just don't get a picture if the signal isn't good enough,with anologue it doesn't matter so much you still get the picture just not as good.
One wide band aerial will do.

3223.jpg

this same stb however does not work at my friends brothers house or upstairs in her house..... which is strange..... any suggestions why??

When you take an STB to a different location you need to rescan or do a "First Time Installation".

When you take an STB to a different location you need to rescan or do a "First Time Installation".

I had tried it in the past at another location but when I hooked it all up the menu screen appeared on the tv, but it flicked down the screen so fast it couldn't be made out! what are you meant to do in this situation....

also, do these digital signal boosters really work, as mentioned above? as I saw one in wilkos for £12....

can you not run a second coax line from main aeriel?? I mean, isn't this what an aeriel person would do if you paid someone to come out and hook up a second main aeriel input?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom