Ariel Help Please

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by HemTT, Dec 29, 2006.

1. HemTT

HemTT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    We have a ariel socket downstairs. W used to use this for freeview that was inbuilt on my Sony TV. The pic signal was perfect.

We now have sky downstairs therefore i went into the loft and cut the ariel and dropped the lead into the bedroom for a cheap asda freeview box.

The box picks up no signal at all.

Can anyone help as the ariel used to power all channels on the downstairs TV.

The upsatirs freeview works ok with a small ariel but doesnt work with the loft mounted one.

Thanks

2. andykn

andykn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    Can you get the analogue channels on the set in the bedroom? Sounds like one of the connectors on the lead isn't fitted properly. Freeview is more sensitive to poor quality connections, especially the sort of connector where you just poke the cable in with no screw or solder for the central core connection.

3. HemTT

HemTT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks for your reply.

Terrestial channels are ok but not perfect, but no digital signal at all, when you change channels it shows the picture briefly then the signal strengh just drops.

You might be right as ive just used one of those cheapy plugs from B&Q that you push on.

Downstairs i have one of those plates in the wall are these powered or is it just simply an outlet for the arieal?

Can anyone reccomend a good connector for the end of the coaxial cable?

I also noticed that there wasnt much copper braid left when i fitted the plug could this have an impact

4. andykn

andykn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    The braid shouldn't be as important, but a good connection for the centre core is. You could try Maplins or I think Homebase might do connectors with a screwfor the centre core - these are fine.

The wall plates aren't usually powered - its just for convenience.

5. Derek L

Derek L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The other thing to watch is that you haven't got any stray wire filaments shorting the co-ax - it's easy to do and wrecks the signal.

The only other thing to watch is that you don't have a masthead amplifier do you? If so it will need to be powered from somewhere.

Good Luck

Derek

6. HemTT

HemTT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks for your help guys.

Finally sorted it was the braid touching the core, picture is perfect now.