ARIAN ET-2255 Budget Player

Goof

Established Member
Reaction score
I spotted this little player yesterday whilst browsing for a progressive scan player - coming in at under a ton, this player claims to do PS...can this be true?

I've also seen another couple of budget players for just over a hundred that also feature "direct digital progressive scan output" - are these players true PS or is it like having a digital out for DD5.1 but they don't actually have the capability?

TIA.

And where in the details does it say it does PS.? Not on the page you linked to.

Looks a great little machine but doesn't say it does PS and would be doubtful as to the quality of output etc for that price. There just comes a point when you get what you pay for. I don't mean paying for a name but how can the internals be great at that price?

I bought an arianet 2255 a month ago. I didnt look where you linked but its the most expensive one they do, like £90 ish i think all inc.

For £90 (i got it for £80 delivered on special :)) there is nothing that can touch it.

OK when i got it, i had to tap it (ok well kinda hit it) to get the remote sensor to work, and last time i plugged it in the display flickered (not the output, just the track info on the actual unit) - but it seems fine now. I have grown to love it's quirks!

Yup it does have full 5.1 decoding, + optical, + co - ax output. Multiregion, prog scan la la la la mp3 cds too btw

It even has progressive scan output to a VGA monitor - I can just plug it straight into my computer monitor, and the quality IMO is astounding. Im sure there is better out there, but i am a videophile, and cant fault it, it really is quite impressive.

I havent tried the composite outputs yet, but they are definitely progressive scan.

If you have any questions dont hesistate to email me, or post here. I really think that this player is an unheard of bargain.

That said, if you need a DVD player that can never fail you, this isnt the one for you - that said, an £100 goodmans won't be either!!!

stu

Well it says progressive scan on the front. Not sure what the digital reference is for though.

Messiah, see the top of the page "Progressive Scan
Multi-Region DVD player".

Stu, sorry if this is a dumb question, but how can you tell for sure it does full PS? Is that PAL PS and not just NTSC PS?

I stand corrected. Read that page about 6 times but only the full descriptive details. Silly me. Didn't read the title. Surprising they don't put it in the spec details.

Sorry everyone :blush:

S'ok Messiah ;) Agreed it's bit strange they didn't put it in the details...

well im going to have to bow and say i didnt even know that there was a a difference :blush: - so much for mr videophile stu. Anyway you should know not to trust me, i only have 2 posts to my name!

Is Pal PS better than NTSC? This confuses me, i thought that they were pretty much the same thing.

Is there any test i can do to find out - ill give it a go for you - though i dont have anything i can use with component inputs.

All i do know that is relevent is that using a small sony TV, the picture quality looks best using RGB ouptut (as opposed to s-vid or YUV - as an option in the output options dialog - all pumped through a scart cable). If the Progressive scan button is pushed, the TV displays a black and white image, off centre, that looks like something the adobe photoshop emboss filter does! (you can see outlines mainly, in B&W) - so the TV cant handle that option.

Sorry, i feel really useless here, i can assure you im not stupid, i just dont know about this!!!!
D'oh!

Stu

HI Stu

Progressive Scan is only available via component connections on any device. i.e. You would have to be using the component outputs on the player to component inputs on the viewing device (only found on plasmas, projectors and some of the latest Tosh big screen TVs).

Stu, that's ok, relax :cool:

I'm new to most of this too but basically I think PS uses the full resolution of scan lines - interlaced is what basic players use and is half the scan lines which will give a 'jaggies' effect but will only be noticable on large screens (32" and over). Some players out there will use the PS for NTSC (the American picture system) but it's mostly only expensive players atm that will also use PS for a Pal picture (the UK picture system) which is why I was surprised with this player at the price.

However, I didn't realise PS was only available through component connections. My Pj doesn't have component and I currently connect through s-video. Does that mean a PS player will have no benefits for me Messiah?

You'll get no benefit whatsoever from the PS feature via any connection other than the component outputs.

Basically, a standard interlaced picture is made up of two images. The odd numbered lines (1, 3, 5......575 - for PAL) are drawn first then the even numbered lines are drawn. This redraw happens 25 times per second (hence the 25fps [ frames per second] and 50Hz figures).

Progressive scan effectively doubles the frame rate by drawing all lines in one pass reducing flicker and other artefacts such as jaggies.

Unfortunatley, if your viewing device does not have component inputs you will not be able to benefit from the additional picture quality offered by PS.

Have a look here

Messiah - yup that is exactly what i thought PS was.

This unit definitely uses PS - both Pal and NTSC.

I know this becasue I used the progressive scan on my CRT monitor. I agree that PS is only really used with component signals, but this system's VGA output uses it too.

If you think about it, a monitor doesnt use interlaced signals, so it must use PS to display the image, else it would flicker like hell - and it sure doesnt ;) - this was playing a PAL DVD, Attack of clones, so must PS with PAL too.

To sum it up. this unit is PS, pal, and NTSC on both VGA (15 pin D connector) and Component video outputs.

It can output RGB video, or s video through the scart.

composite through a composite out

5.1 through pre outs, or digital coax or optical.

phew......

GOOF - I still think that this is a really decent player for the money, and I think it will be a while until it would become the bottleneck in a system - it really punches above it's class.

stu

BTW I looked at your link - I bought mine from ARIA.CO.UK go there and follow the link from the 1st page - it's cheaper there!!!

Stu

I wasn't doubting your knowledge just commenting that you couldn't use PS to your small Sony TV over the SCART connection.

You seem a bit tense tonight ;) , I was only attempting to clarify a few things.

:D Messiah you jester - I didnt mean to come accross like that at all - my apologies!

stu.

You're right Stu. You can have progressive from component or VGA connectors. It's unusual for DVD player to have VGA output though.

Originally posted by stuthemong
:D Messiah you jester - I didnt mean to come accross like that at all - my apologies!

stu.

No apologies needed. I guess people are still winding down after the night before.......:p I am :D

just orderd one for £96.00 intrested to try the vga out for my plasma if i dont like it i will put it in another room or sell it on.
for progressive scan and a vga output cant fault it for £100 unless it dont work or doesn`t turn up.
will keep you posted

Top class!My Pj has VGA input so this is probably the only player on the market I can get PS with my PJ...and at £100 this is what I now look like: :D

Thanks for clearing that up Stu :)

How is the vga output? If you look at the rear panel pic it does not show a 15 pind d type connector. Is it output via phonos (phono to vga cable required) or is the vga connector elsewhere on the machine?

As stated messiah - if you would take the time to read my previous posts :)grin: )

it's just a standard 15 pin D connector, as you will find on the back of your PC going to your monitor (unless you have a digital LCD, in which case sod you)

I had some issues with the red channel bleeding when using the VGA output on my 10 Yr old CRT (gateway 200 triniton) - but I think that that can be put down to the amount of abuse the screen has taken - though it may be (and is entirely possible at this price) - that the PS on this unit is absolutely uselss)

Lets see how jMack, and Goof get on with their VGA's quality wise before you all go out and buy one ;) - aria are really good delivery wise actually, so we should fid out tomorrow.

I think that jmack will have more luck with his plasma than goof, as the ouput resolution is something like 834 x 453 (i really dont know, its in that ball park, and not a standard 800x600 or so), to his projector may struggle to take the weird resolution scalin wise - i think the plasma will have more pixels to play with. We'll see anyways.

LMK anyway boys, Im intruigued - and good luck!

stu

Hi stuthemong

I've also been squinting at the rear of the box shot in the product info page on the Aria site.

Can't see the 15 pin D output. It's a bit of a dark picture though. Is it in that middle(ish) section under the single yellow, or over on the RHS next to the scart?

Who else has tried a direct link from this player through VGA input to a CRT. The plasma's AFAIK can do this with less bother than on a CRT, where you can have more difficulty with the aspect ratio problems.

I don't have a plasma, so it's the CRT performance through VGA that interests me. Any feedback ......... anyone?

BTW Stu, you're doing well to have a PC monitor that's 10 years old and still working, - if you've been giving it loads of use that is. But then it's a Gateway, who, so the story goes, pulled out of the UK rather than compromise on quality.

Which leads me back to the Arianet 2255. Is everyone with this player happy with their purchase? Would you, time over, buy it again? After all, even £90 for a player is a lot of dosh if it ****es you off most times you use it.

Messiah, Stu's right about the VGA out (of course) - I found another picture which shows it to the right of the scart.

Stu, thanks again for the info but I wish I had known about the resolution before ordering :(

My pj is 1024x768 so doesn't look like it'll be using full resolution...was that resolution official figures from the manual or just what you managed to get?As you said, I should get it by tomorrow so worth a try anyway - if it doesn't work well I just hope Aria are good with returns!

Will keep you all posted.

I wasn't doubting Stu fior a moment, just looking for clarification. I'l have to be careful with my questions in future as there appear to be some touchy people on these forums at the moment :p

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom