1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aria - 2nd hand TFT palmed-off as New

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by rimmep1, Aug 2, 2005.

1. rimmep1

rimmep1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I received a Dell 1905FP TFT from Aria.co.uk today. On opening the box discovered invoice and RMA paperwork for it's previous owner dating back to February. It also had finger smears and marks on the screen plus had been packed with the VGA cable pressing flat into the TFT.

I bought it under the impression that this was a new item; it wasn't on offer, in a 'Bargain Basement' or advertised as otherwise. I paid good money for it and am slightly miffed (to put it mildly).

On ringing Customer Services to complain, the chap I spoke to simply said "Yes.... and?".

Has anyone else had experience of this - Aria reselling RMA'd goods as "new"? Were they legally entitled to do this without highlighting the screen as 'Previously Owned' or 'Open Box' etc? What would you do now if in my situation - return it or try negotiate some money off?

Pete

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    If it wasn't advertised as a refurb I'd demand a refund. And don't get suckered into paying for postage tell them to send a courier.

Are you sure it wasn''t advertised as a refurb.

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    I'd also complain about the customer services. No way I'd have taken that sort of nonsense.

4. rimmep1

rimmep1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Keith, thanks for the thoughts.

No, I'm certain this wasn't a refurb deal or not clearly stated as one anyhow.

Doing some further digging; according to the engineer's menu, this 'unused' monitor has had over 100 hours use. So the previous owner did more than just open the box.

Well, I've got my RMA number - they'll be getting it back on Saturday.
    I certainly won't be using Aria again...

5. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I've heard about this before with Aria. It's a shame that their damaging their reputation in this way. They are not clear on whether the units they sell are refurbished and at times have stuck to their new story when there is clear evidence to the contrary.

It's surprising that they can't simply be honest about what their selling, many would be willing to buy the displays at a discount knowing their would refurbished.