1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Argos Scart Swtich Problems

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Jon Boardman, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Jon Boardman

Jon Boardman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having some problems with one of the Scart Switchers available from Argos. After reading several good reviews on this site I decided to go for the Hitachi Scart Switcher.

I have a Sony DVD using some reasonably prices Ixos scart cable and an XBox using the Advanced scart cable. At first I thought the job was done. The picture quality on both was first class. However, after doing some tidy-up on the wires at the back of my system I noticed a load of white lines moving from right to left when using the XBox. The DVD is fine.

These ghost lines seem to be dependant on the position of the wires but I haven't yet worked out what the exact problem is. It is possible to get rid of the ghost lines by moving the wires around, but it is hard.

I noticed that unplugging the dvd scart cable from the switcher sorts the problem out (I get the problem even with the dvd player turned off). I also tried a mates xbox cable to see if it fixed the problem but it didn't.

Sorry for the long winded text. Does anyone have any clue about what may be causing this, or any advice. I am now thinking about getting another swicther (unfortunately the 14 days return is long gone).

Ta,
    Jon.

2. schmeegle

schmeegle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get a similar problem with my PS2 and a JVC 5 to 1 scart adaptor thing, from what I've read here it could be to do with signals not being seperated in some poorer quality scart cables (the ones connecting console to TV, rather than DVD), to cut a long story short. The post is in the console gaming forum.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the Xbox scart has all pins even tho you only need 8 pins for RGB Video and 12 pins for RGB video and Stereo audio so removing the unwanted pins may help

4. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get a similar thing with scart from my ps2, but it's direct to the TV, *no* switcher involved. I don't think shielding on console scart cables is up to much.

If I separate the ps2 cable from *all* other cables, e.g. power, speaker, other scart then the lines go away.

Does anyone know of (cheap!) external shield you could put over existing cable, some kind of metal braided sheath? Or is this just a bad idea?!

5. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Some of the quality cable manufacturers also make cables for consoles - I believe IXOS are one such company.

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I think you'll find that it has more to do with some devices (e.g. DVD players) "looping through" signals from input to output. Removing unwanted input connections on scart pins should do the trick, but note that if you do that, it's advisable that you mark the cables, should you ever get them mixed up during re-organising.

7. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting, hadn't thought of that (obviously!). The only other scart device is the Sky box as the DVD is connected on component and there's no switcher...ps2 and sky are connected straight to back of TV...could the two sockets interfere within the TV? I'd have thought Toshiba would have designed for this?

8. schmeegle

schmeegle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at the ixos scart cable for PS2 as I bought one of their cables for my DVD and was very impressed. Apparently Monster make a good PS2 cable, that is a bit cheaper than IXOS.

Am I likely to get a good picture plugging an RGB device & cable into the S-VHS socket on my TV? Or would it be better to invest in a proper (ie, switching & mains powered) splitter box for my 1 RGB connection?

Such a headache!

9. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    If you connect your PS2 to your TV via an S-VHS socket (I assume you mean S-Video) you won't be displaying an RGB signal. To get the best quality image, I think you'd be better to go for a decent scart switcher. I use a JS Technology Master Scart Controller, which costs about £40, and am happy with its performance.

10. schmeegle

schmeegle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and that doesn't affect DVD performance either?
    I just want to check because the JVC one I bought has caused a few problems.

11. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  12. schmeegle

schmeegle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0