1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Argos / Comet - Best TV for £1100?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by ParmMann, Apr 18, 2005.

1. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Hi,

I currently have a 40" Toshiba Rear Projection TV. I bought it in around 1998 (ish), and recently had a little accident with it. :rolleyes:

Our TV model is: Toshiba 40PW8
    We bought it for around £3000 at the time.

I've been in touch with our insurance people, and they've offered us the following:
    A replacement consisting of:
    Toshiba 42PW33 TV
    Sony HTSL500 Dolby Digital Kit

Alternatively, they can give us a voucher worth £1080 for either Argos or Comet.

I'm really not sure what to do, whats the best TV I could get from Argos or Comet with that voucher? I wouldn't mind going slightly over the vouchers value, I could throw in the extra.
    This TV goes in our sitting room and is moreso for everyday TV viewing, our main room has a 50" Pioneer PDP505XDE plasma, moreso for movies and such.

Open to all suggestions, what would you do?

Thanks,
    Parm

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    depends how much you are willing to add an extra £3-400 will get you 42" plasma for that room, Comet are doing the panny PE50 veira with free DVD-R but its over £2k..... there choice is very limited, would the insurance company not make out a cheque to someone like AV-sales where you would have much better pricing and choice???

3. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I'll give them a call tomorrow, but somehow I doubt they'll give me a voucher or cheque for elsewhere.

I wouldn't mind adding like another £200 myself, but ideally not too much.
    I'm still saving for a HD DVD player and a sound system for the other room. :rolleyes:

4. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Yup, as I thought, they weren't too keen on giving vouchers for elsewhere. The vouchers at Argos/Comet were sufficient to replace my TV so thats pretty much all they need to offer.

Anyhow, I went for the vouchers option, so I now have £1080 worth of Comet vouchers.
    I think I'm going to try and purchase 2 smaller LCD TV's to go in other rooms.
    *edit* Zip a de do da, zip a de day.

5. JohnW14

JohnW14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the insurance company has paid out on a policy, the damaged item belongs to them. If they have paid out as a write-off and discover you've had it fixed (presumably for less than they paid out) they WILL come against you for fraud.

Without condoning your actions, I strongly suggest you don't advertise your intentions too widely.

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I'm at a loss to understand how anyone could be accused of fraud if the insurance company are happy to leave the set with the original owner after settling a claim. By their actions at this point they are obviously not interested in what you now do with the set and tbh i doubt they would care less if you went ahead and managed to repair it on the cheap. Where is the criminal intent in doing this ?

7. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    If they declare the item is beyond economical repair and send settlement they have the right to claim title to the salvage (ie it becomes their property) but in many cases an insurer does not want the salvage and so will leave it with the policyholder or where the salvage retains some value they may deduct this value from the settlement if the insured wishes to retain the salvage.

eg - policyholder has an at fault accident in their car and an engineer from the insurer inspects it. He estimates that the repairs will cost £5000, the car is worth £4000 and as scrap it is worth £400. The insurers write off the car as it is beyond economical repair but the policyholder says they want to retain the vehicle and so the insurers send a cheque for £3600 (£4000 - £400) and the car is the policyholders to do with as they will as is the cheque. When I used to be a claims technition we would often get people with old cars who would then take their car to a back street garage and use 2nd hand parts which would come under the £3600 settlement.

I missed the bits which you cut out of your post about what you were doing but as long as:

a) The original quote was genuine and you have just found somewhere that is cheaper to do the repairs or

b) The insurers apointed their own repair company to inspect the item

then there is nothing wrong with getting it repaired.

Personally to cover your back I would ask your insurers to confirm that they do not want the salvage as whilst it wouldnt be illegal or fraudulent to repair it and then they decide to recover their salvage you wouldnt be entitled to 're claim' the cost of the repair.