Arghhh So Close!!!!

RyanK

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Earlier this week i placed my order for the Panny LXD500 with empiredirect. They said it was in stock and would be delivered friday.

Imagine my annoyance when i phone home from work to see if it has arrived to find out that empire has phone to tell me that it won`t be coming. They have NO stock and won`t be receiving any until 24th October at the earliest and this isn`t gaurantieed.

In the end i asked if they had the LXD52 in stock and could they deliver tomorrow Saturday.

They said that they can, so hopefully i will be receiving my LXD52 tomorrow.

I will let you know

Bummer!

Guess what I checked my Curry's order for the 500 today. They have bloody cancelled it and no email telling me so!

I popped into JL today. Waiting for the underwriters to get back to me on a price match. They have already said no to a walk in off the street, in a shop price because they haven't got the price displayed :mad:

Anyway...so, so, sorry to hear about the 500. You (and I) had your heart set on it. Let me know how you get on

Dave

DaveAnderson said:
Bummer!

Guess what I checked my Curry's order for the 500 today. They have bloody cancelled it and no email telling me so!

I popped into JL today. Waiting for the underwriters to get back to me on a price match. They have already said no to a walk in off the street, in a shop price because they haven't got the price displayed :mad:

Anyway...so, so, sorry to hear about the 500. You (and I) had your heart set on it. Let me know how you get on

Dave

i am gutted.

However i see a few more people have got and seen the 52 and say that the picture is as good as the 500.

If they are right i have saved £375. Fingers Crossed

RyanK said:
i am gutted.

However i see a few more people have got and seen the 52 and say that the picture is as good as the 500.

If they are right i have saved £375. Fingers Crossed

they are the same. Panasonic confirmed it and I have compared these side by side myself. I know they told you differently. If JL don't price match the 500. It'll be the 52 for me too, cos I'm getting sick of the whole thing

sound and vision do the 52 for £1095. should have got it from them earlier in the week but i gave into the 500 at the last minute Doh!!!

P.S Congratulations to Daniel Craig on becoming James Bond No.6

DaveAnderson said:
they are the same. Panasonic confirmed it and I have compared these side by side myself. I know they told you differently. If JL don't price match the 500. It'll be the 52 for me too, cos I'm getting sick of the whole thing

The bummer is i was quite looking forward to using the SD card on the 500

Also had to take some flack from my boss when i told him i can`t work tomorrow :eek:

Spoke to Panasonic Yesterday and actually got somebody that appeared to know what he was talking about... i know unbelievable i know... anyway...
He said there was a bit of concern from the marketing department re the 500 vs the 52.

They are the same panel and electronics the only difference is the PC input, 2 extra speakers and the SD card.
They were having issues with the extra £300 to £400 for such a small deference and the only thing selling the 500 (If you didn't NEED the other bits) was the styling!

The 52 looks fine to me and if i am saving around £400 i will have a EH60D recorder for "Free".

Still Looking at the Tosh WLT58 though... Choices Choices.

AB-P

ABP said:
Spoke to Panasonic Yesterday and actually got somebody that appeared to know what he was talking about... i know unbelievable i know... anyway...
He said there was a bit of concern from the marketing department re the 500 vs the 52.

They are the same panel and electronics the only difference is the PC input, 2 extra speakers and the SD card.
They were having issues with the extra £300 to £400 for such a small deference and the only thing selling the 500 (If you didn't NEED the other bits) was the styling!

The 52 looks fine to me and if i am saving around £400 i will have a EH60D recorder for "Free".

Still Looking at the Tosh WLT58 though... Choices Choices.

AB-P

it was the styling and the SD card that was doing it for me. but it does finally lok like the 52 is the same as the 500.

So as long as empire delivers today i will be happy

just spoke to empire. TV is on its way :clap: :clap: :clap:

RyanK

Please tell us all what you think.

I am sick of looking and the 52 looks like a bargain!

AB-P

ABP said:
RyanK

Please tell us all what you think.

I am sick of looking and the 52 looks like a bargain!

AB-P

will do.

i won`t have it set up until this evening or even tomorrow morning.

Hi

I too have been debating the 500 or 52 Panasonic and have been following the various threads regarding the differences. Decided to go for the 52 as 1) It was available (don't like ordering something then having to wait) and 2) was cheaper.

Good to hear it is internally the same inside as the 500, it sort of makes sense it would be, as isn't it cheaper to use the same design and leave out a few extras to sell at a cheaper price rather than design a whole new LCD with different systems? Probably might be cheaper to redesign a new budget model if they were shipping millions, but not on the numbers currently sold I imagine.

Anyway it has arrived this morning and is sat in the hall waiting to be unboxed, will let you know how I get on.

Regards

Phil

PhilipL said:
Hi

I too have been debating the 500 or 52 Panasonic and have been following the various threads regarding the differences. Decided to go for the 52 as 1) It was available (don't like ordering something then having to wait) and 2) was cheaper.

Good to hear it is internally the same inside as the 500, it sort of makes sense it would be, as isn't it cheaper to use the same design and leave out a few extras to sell at a cheaper price rather than design a whole new LCD with different systems? Probably might be cheaper to redesign a new budget model if they were shipping millions, but not on the numbers currently sold I imagine.

Anyway it has arrived this morning and is sat in the hall waiting to be unboxed, will let you know how I get on.

Regards

Phil

where did you buy yours from.

still waiting for mine to arrive :( will give it 20 minutes more before i ring the courier

Great news, RyanK.

Hope your enjoy your shiny new TV! Be sure to tell us all what you think of it!

I've been spending lots of time on this thread in the hope that it might help me narrow down my HD LCD choices. This is one of the TVs on my shortlist so I'd be interested to here your views on it.

Any chance you will be playing games on it at any point? Can't see a games console in your equipment list so perhaps not. I've been wondering how games consoles look on the Pannys and haven't been able to find much info on this. Thought you might be able to enlighten me/us on this particular aspect of the 52's performance.

Anyway, have fun... :)

Well...Curry's have done it again. Cancelled my order for the 500 and hiked both the price of that and the 52. Swines.

Ryan, let us all know what you think of the 52. I have almost decided to give up and wait for SED

Dave

Hi

Well have had a few hours playing around with the Panasonic 32LXD52. First off you get zero in the box cable wise, but generously you do get a plastic cable tie! There is a recess on the back and a cover for the all the cables, however my expensive SCART cable has the wire coming directly out and not angled so I can't get the cover on (something to bare in mind if buying a new SCART cable). Took a few minutes to find where the aerial wire went as well.

On first switching on it tunes in for a minute or so, and sets up analogue and Freeview channels, no problems there. I have upgraded from a 4:3 29" Panasonic set so my main comparisons are with that.

Immediate impressions are how bright and in your face the picture is and not in a good way, with Freeview looking particularly horrible, contrasty and blocky (they keep adding rubbish channels and degrading the quality to make room and it shows). However a delve into the picture setup menu shows it is set for "Dynamic" which boosts and over processes everything in my opinion with contrast also full up, obviously set to ensure the brightest picture for demo's in shops but horrible to watch for any length of time. Setting the Panasonic to Auto (this should mean it adjusts based on the light level in the room according to the manual) and knocking the contrast down a bit and things were 100% better, once my eyes had recovered that is! Freeview pictures improved a lot now the set wasn't over processing although it still looks very compressed, this isn't a problem with the Panasonic just Freeview and a big screen. Analogue has more detail and no blocking, and turn on the 3D comb filter and analogue can still compete well with digital terrestrial if you get a good signal. I really think turning of analogue and giving us digital terrestrial is a big con?

Playing DVDs (via RGB, non progressive yet for me) and the Pany loves it. After the 4:3 29” that not being wide screen meant an even smaller letterboxed picture for wide screen films/video, then now to see a full 32” diagonal is a real pleasure. It really is very cinema like and I suppose LCD working in a similar way to a projected film (big bright light shining through colour filters) just adds to that feeling.

The sound quality, well I was actually very surprised at how good that was, I was expecting something average thinking it must have small speakers to fit into the slim profile, however looking behind the set there is some extra thickness in the case where the speakers must be so they are more substantial than it might appear, and so gives a pleasing sound and a decent bass response. A friend had thought the sound was coming from the amp and speakers rather than the TV, although not a patch on a good surround sound system of course.

Other observations, the heat that radiates off the LCD panel is amazing, you can feel it on your face from a foot away, of course this must be from the back light and I bet the heat pushed forward through the LCD panel is deliberate to speed up the response times by warming the LCD. What are the backlights in these things? Can’t be cold cathode like LCD monitors, as LCD monitors never get hot like that. As for ghosting or blurring, seen none at all no matter how fast the action is.

A niggle, its a shame the Pany doesn't have individual picture settings per AV input, that would have been very useful.

So very impressed with the Pany 32LXD52, I bet it is super with high definition!

What sort of settings are people using with these sets? Currently I have set Picture mode to Auto, knocked down contrast by a quarter from the top, turned on colour management (not sure what that does exactly as seems not to make any difference), put MPEG filter on Mid, turned on 3D comb filter for analogue channels, and left brightness, sharpness, colour at mid settings.

Regards

Phil

DaveAnderson said:
Well...Curry's have done it again. Cancelled my order for the 500 and hiked both the price of that and the 52. Swines.

Ryan, let us all know what you think of the 52. I have almost decided to give up and wait for SED

Dave

Dave,

Forget the 500. Go for the 52. It is awsome!!!

I have posted a report plus have uploaded some pics.

Its funny, on friday when empire cocked up my order i was fuming :mad:

I am now smiling :D

Got a bloody great TV and saved £375 as well. Lets see how long it takes them to refund the difference.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom