ARGHGHGH Yamaha AX620 problem!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Ewok, Jun 15, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK I got me a set of KEF HT2005 speakers and a Yamaha AX620 amp. I also got me an optical digital cable thinking it would be the best possible quality for connecting my DVD player to the amp.

Now according to the F***ing manual for this AX620, you have to use the same output connector as input (i.e. if you use s-video input you have to use s-video output). So what it's saying is you either need a set of speakers and a TV with optical input, or the optical on the amp is totally ****ing useless because you cant use it!

I was using a scart cable and RGB mode to get the video to my TV and since this is the way best quality I dont mind doing that, but surely the F***ing thing will let you use the optical digital input for SOUND and output it using the same connections all speakers use, i.e. speaker wire?!?!?!?!

I dont mind putting the video direct from the dvd player to the tv, I really dont see the point having it going through the amp anyway, but gimme a fukin break how can it expect you to use a optical digital connection from dvd to amp AND optical digital to your speakers and tv from the amp?

I bought a £50 Van Den Hul optocoupler just to get me the highest quality (and easiest connection, i.e. 1 wire for all the audio from the dvd player rather than 6 wires) and it now seems to be useless.

I have 2 questions, is it ok for me to connect the dvd player directly to the tv using a scart cable in RGB mode and bypass the amp completely, and is it possible for me to use the optical digital from the dvd player to the amp and actually get some sound out of the thing without having to use an optical digital output from the amp to the speakers?

2. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK so I just run the video direct from dvd to tv like before?

Only diff is I dont get on screen display from the amp right?

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    If you have a spare scart socket you could use a svideo-scart cable for the amps on screen display. I would only connect it up as and when its needed. You could even go for a mixture. Say DVD - TV via RGB scart and amp - TV via svideo-scart and connect any other stuff to the amp. Sky digi boxes are usually best connected straight to the TV via RGB scart. Always try to get the best possible type of connection. Scart is just the type of connector and can carry composite (worst), svideo (bettter) or RGB (best). Svideo cables normally can only carry svideo. The amp can only switch svideo or composite so RGB capable devices are best kept off it. Your TV might only have 1 RGB enabled socket anyway, often people have to choose to connect DVD player or Digibox oto the RGB socket. If you buy a svideo - scart cable remeber that they are directional so a scart - svideo is not the same as svideo - scart.

Jeff

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My set up is like this....
    DVD - AMP(AX620) Coaxial
    DVD - TV Scart(RGB)
    AMP - TV(for OSD purposes) (yellow)Video Phono lead

The OSD works a treat this way ;)

5. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It all seems to be working apart from 1 thing.

My dvd player is connected to the amp via optical digital cable. My dvd player has a single phono socket for subwoofer so does the amp. My subwoofer (KEF PSW2000, art of HT2005 set) however has connectors for left and right speakers (2 connectors for each speaker) and it has a left and right line in which are both phono.

Currently I just stuck left and right phono's on the left and right front speaker outputs of the amp and stuck that straight into the left and right line in on the sub but the bass is very boomy and I think this might be because I am connecting it to the left and right speakers rather than the subwoofer phono.

I set the crossover to 80hz, as this is what is reccomended in the KHT2005 manual when using the 2005 speakers.

The question is this, what is the best way to get the single phono subwoofer output of the dvd/amp to the left and right phono input of the sub? Should I just get a single phono to double phono lead and stick that on the left and right line in phono of the sub? And is this the best way to connect my sub?

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    You should just use a single phono to double phono, from the sub out on the amp to the line in's on the sub. If you can't find a cheap single to double phono lead, then just use a single to single and not worry about it.

Rick

7. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Single to single wont work I tried it, it wants both left and right connected to work.

And I cant find ANY single to double phono leads at least not online

8. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Err :confused: it should work.

9. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I think I got the optical working now, still dont think the video will work through it though :(

10. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Calm down!, See it wasn't that hard,you got there in the end. :) Don't bother trying to switch video through the amp, you will only end up with lower quality video and sound.

Jeff

11. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Ewok, I think we gotta go back to the very basics here:

Digital connection (optical or coaxial) between DVD player and AV amp/receiver will only carry sound (PCM for CD-Audio and DD/DTS bitstream), never video.
    Since the AV amp will handle the audio one optical connection is enough, the speakers are of course connected to the amp with speaker wires.
    No audio connection to the TV is needed.

As for the video: what the manual says is if you decide to use S-Video connection from source (DVD, S-VHS VCR) you must also connect S-Video from the amp to TV.
    The amp cannot convert S-Video to normal video (composite) or vice-versa.

That means if you add a standard VCR (not S-VHS) and it would connect via composite to the AV amp for the convenience of video switching you wouldn't see a thing.
    Or in other words you have to find the common nominator, in which case you must also connect the DVD via composite.

However as mentioned above it is recommended to make a direct (video) connection from DVD to TV via SCART using RGB, given that DVD and TV support it. This will give the best quality.
    Note that RGB signals normally cannot be routed through / switched via the AV amp (though in some cases the component video switching can be used if equipped).

The subwoofer should connect via line level (RCA/phono cable) only from the amps subwoofer out to the line level input of the sub, if necessary use a splitter (Y-adapter cable).
    Should be available from your dealer, electronic stores or "hifi" sections of department stores.

12. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    did you actually read any of the manuals?

It clearly shows a single phono supplying the sub woofer on the 2005s

13. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    Oh, and single to single DOES work, contrary to your earlier post.
    I know cause that's what I have.

READ THE MANUAL
    Like the FIRST diagram - A1
    How clear does it need to be? :rolleyes:

14. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well if you used a little brainpower you would realise I am infact not making it up, hence the diagram in the useless manual is meaningless.

I used 1-1 and it didnt work. I now have 1-2 and it does work.

15. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    Sorry if I was a bit condescending in my replies.
    Glad you have it fixed.
    However, it does still kinda imply something is wrong, either with your wiring or your equipment, as it should work 1 to 1.
    The amp only outputs a single mono sub woofer signal, and the woofer only mixes the two inputs into a mono signal.
    Two inputs are provided to connect so it can derive the bass signal from a normal stereo source where there is not sub out.
    I would double double check that it wont work 1 to 1 to make sure you dont have faulty equipment seeing as it is brand new.
    As the manuals, and my own experience show, 1 to 1 is all that is required. I am glad you have a fix, but you should ask why isnt doesnt work as designed.

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased the KHT2005 package.

I also thought the instructions were very un-clear.

However, I went with a single phono to phono (used left in on the sub), and everything seems fine sound wise. It's quite amazing how much difference the sub makes to the whole package!!!

One thing that is anoying me though, and I have mailed KEF for an answer, the little switch on the back is set to Auto, so the sub is meant to turn on when it detects a signal, but I have noticed that is does not always work. Any ideas? I hope it;s not faulty !!

I might try and get a single to double phono and see if it makes a difference.

Is there any harm in leaving the sub an manual and never turning it off?

Cheers

db

ps. if there are any Toshiba experts out there, please answer my post in Televisions.

17. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    It says the switch on the back is auto muting, not auto on/off. Though I guess that might be the same thing.

I have the same thought as you. Can I just leave it on?
    At present I don't.

18. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Leave the sub on all the time, you'll do less damage to the amplifier and the drive unit in the sub that way. Also the sub will perform best when it is at operating temperature, which it will be at if left on.

Rick

19. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    to add a little more to this, I had a reply from KEF...problem sorted. :)

Dear Sir,

The white RCA (left) input is mono as in all audio signals.
    This is the input to use when you have only one output on your amplifier.
    You can use a Y lead but it is not necessary as the White input will send
    all available signalling to the MONO amplifier in the Subwoofer.
    Your Subwoofer will only turn on when a suitable signal level reaches it.
    The amplifier will only cut in when a bass frequency is live.
    At very low volume levels the sub is designed to activate only with large
    sounds like explosions etc so just turning your amp on will not activate
    the sub unless it is amplifying a sound.

Treat your subwoofer like any other amplifier.
    You can leave it on standby or just switch it on or off at its mains
    outlet.

Best Regards

Ben Pettit

KEF Audio (UK)