1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Argh!!!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dAvE6, Dec 19, 2001.

1. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was moving one of my new B&W 603 speakers into position.

Oh God, then i glanced over at the speaker before going to bed and saw the bass driver had a substantial indentation in it! About an inch squared in size and 3 mm deep. ********!!

I called B&W who advised getting a new driver. However, this was unfeasible so i had a brain wave to use sellotape on the alluminium bass driver and try and suck it back out.

To my ammazement it worked quite well. It's far from perfect, as you can see a mark still and theres a small (5mm squared) dip which i can't get rid of, but its very shallow. Overall it's a big improvement.

But will this impede the sound at all? Or noticibly? They advised checking to see if they sound different. But it's so hard to tell.

Does the driver have to be IMMACULATE to function properly?

2. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,333
    If you had had these speakers ages and ages then I would say see how it goes, but seeing as they are fairly new I would check out getting them fixed, maybe under warranty.

I know when I first got into HC all those years ago a similar thing happened to a pair of speakers I was using. They never sounded the same again and seemed to deteriorate over time. Now this could have been in my head, but once you know there is something wrong it tends to stick there.

3. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Duncan. Overall though it would cost around £75 for the whole job. I can't spend that money anymore.

When i told B&w about the condition they are now in they would say it would probably be fine. It's mainly just a mark now with a slightly uneven surface. Pity i also have greese marks over both of the aluminium drivers. I think its grease but it won't come off. Any ideas how to clean aluminium drivers?

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I wouldn't worry if I were you. We've had loadsa dust caps popped in on speakers and it doesn't affect the sound. The only ones you should be worried about would be the tweeters, since the metal ones can crack if pushed in.