1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Argh, why cant they just stick to Keep Cases

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by GarethH, Mar 19, 2001.

1. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I really do hate Snappers and the new cardboard box DVD cases. Firstly they do not fit in my DVD Storage unit and i can tell they will start to tear or break in a few months time.

Anyone else hate them? I prefer Keep Cases myself and why cant Studios just use the Gladiator type case for 2-Discs.

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi Again,

Gareth's right! I have purchased many R1 double-disc editions, (T2:UE, Se7en, etc), and they arrive in trendy, double-thickness Amaray cases. They fit in alongside most other DVD cases, and look nice on your shelves.

Then, when you walk into any R2 retailer, you see that companies like Fox and Warners insist on using cruddy cardboard sleeves, or ripping-off British customers with excellent double-DVD sets in bloody cardboard boxes that look like cow-dung, and give the discs zero-protection.

Why, oh why, oh why???!!!! All I can say is stick to R1 discs!! This has put me off buying the R2 version of the new "The Terminator: Special Edition" double-DVD. I think I'll wait till it comes out on R1 instead, and give the Yanks my money! At least they give Home Cinema fans what they deserve.

Pooch

[This message has been edited by PoochJD (edited 23-03-2001).]

3. graham_ew

graham_ew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MMMM must say I quite like the double cardboard stlye cases eg R1 Seven se, Fight club, Buffy, Rocky Horror picture show etc etc I think they look better than the keep cases and as they sit on the self most of the time and dont get throwen around the sitting room i think they will last must admit i dont like the WB Snapper case. I like the special card board cases (gatefold??) as they can show the art work off better similar to LPs compared to CDs, just be careful with them by the way the R2 of Seven se is in a keep case and looks cr*p

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

The gatefold (aka digipack) look a lot better than Warner Tacky Snappers. The gatefold case can also hold a standard amaray case (R2 Braveheart, keeps those that dislike the gatefold cases happy). MGMs Terminator R2 disc gatefold case is made of a slightly thicker card and looks better.

Would be even better if they used semi transparent plastic (like Brazil Criteion Edition) as it could have the same cover art printed on it and it not damaged as easily.

5. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like carboard, me.
    Remember Warners excuse when they started doing them,
    "It allows film fans to see the artwork without it being distorted by plastic"
    I really do not see where the hatred aroused by the type of case your disc comes in come from. I bought T1 and very good it is too. The us release will possibly have the same sort of packaging a la Seven, fight club, so why wait? Doesn't fit in storage unit? Crappy storage unit.

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi Again,

As many people here have already said in this or other threads, including myself, the reason we hate the cardboard cases is they offer no protection to the disc; they are easily damaged through shop-display, handling by purchaser, or transportation through the postal system, etc; they look sh*te; and lastly, don't fit in alongside the majority of my other DVD's.

Cardboard may be slightly more environmentally friendly, than plastic, but boy does it look awful!

Pooch

7. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I agree 100%,Warners are the worst for doing that!!

8. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    If your interested the region 4 dvd of terminator 1 comes in a keep case, which I have ordered and is in the post (can't wait).
    PS I also hate the Warner snappers they sometimes don't survive the post, lets start a campaign to Warner Brothers to ban these cheapo cases!
    cheers

------------------
    And the monkey flips the switch.

9. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    BTW you do get some R1 discs in the totally cr@p snappers ...
    My R2 Terminator came in a fold out cardboard P.O.S. with the second disc floating around out of its spindle ...
    As we all keep saying why not keep to the ones that do a good job of holding the disc like the Amaray ...

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

10. cussycod

cussycod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i hate the cardbord cases also,when a new dvd arrives i cant wait to see what type of case it its,total dissapointment when its cardboard.just doses not have the same feel about it.
    cod

11. cussycod

cussycod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    forgot to say i dont mine the special editions like seven,fightclub etc.they are totally differant.
    cod

12. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True story. I recently got Death Wish (plastic case) and Wag the Dog (cardboard) in the same package. The package was damaged. Death Wish was cracked and the disc was loose and suffered extensive scratching and refued to play. Wag the Dog's box was a bit crumpled but the disc was fine. mmm?

Look closely at the spindle that holds the disc in place in a carboard casing. See? it keeps the disk playing surface a good 2 or 3 millimetres away from the plastic cover and is essentially "hanging" in space. very good. plastic keep case? normally very tight fit, allowing for all sorts of nasty contact between playing surface and case.
    I guess I am in the minority in that I do not give two sh*i*ts about how "good" my collection looks on the shelf as long as I can watch them.

13. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I'm 'with' you desade.

The only damaged discs I've had have been in single 'Amaray' cases. Normally one of the 'Ying & Yang' centre pieces has broken off leaving a whole load of scratch marks on the discs' playing surface. Never had a problem with cardboard snappers. (Maybe I just know how to 'deal' with them [​IMG])

------------------
    K'ung Fu-tse (The poster fomerly known as PeteH)

14. Brigadeer

Brigadeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Columbia TriStar's Men in Black & Bridge on the River Kwai both have those nasty cases - which looks like the discs will split if forced out!

15. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Desade,

Once again, you offer some really useful criticism! I think not!

When you say: "I guess I am in the minority in that I do not give two sh*i*ts about how "good" my collection looks on the shelf as long as I can watch them.", does that mean you'd also be happy to acept DVD's in plastic or cardboard sleeves, ala some CD music singles as well?

Whilst you may not bother about how the discs look, many of us are bothered about how the discs are kept. Putting it simply, cardboard doesn't do the job! It's cheap and nasty, and as for protecting a DVD, give me a break. One accidental amount of heavy pressure on the front cover, and the disc bends and gets crushed into the plastic surface it is held upon. At least with the Amaray case, they can withstand a reasonable amount of pressure, PLUS if the box is damaged, it can be replaced! Have you actually ever tried replacing a cruddy cardboard Warner's case?! I doubt it!

Either offer something reasonably constructive, or don't bother saying anything at all!

Pooch

P.S. If Spectre's around, is Desade exempt from the swearing rule, or what?!

16. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    You seem to have a real downer on desade Pooch, chill out a little [​IMG]! He's just as entitled to an opinion as you or I. As for asterisked swearing, check out your own posts before damning the censors [​IMG]

------------------
    K'ung Fu-tse (The poster fomerly known as PeteH)

17. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Confucious,

You're right. It's not that I meant my words to come out sounding like it was a direct personal attack on Desade, but just from a glib comment he made to one of my other posts in another thread. Anyway....

As for the asterisked swearing thing, you'll notice that Desade didn't actually delete anything, he simply placed asterisks inbetween each letter of the offending word. Therefore, he wasn't actually self-censoring.
    Hence, my comment at the end of my previous posting. I admit that I do use swear words, may be a little too often, but I do try and use them appropriately, and in a reasonable context.

Despite this, it seems Spectre is not being just in his actions. He should either censor anyone who uses certain language, or no one, rather than selecting specific individuals, which is how he appears to be doing this particular task at the moment. Therefore, if I'm going to get a slapped wrist (so to speak) then everyone who does the same thing, should as well, and not just me.

Apologies if that sounds childish, but discrimination is not something I appreciate, regardless of what it is I am being discriminated against or for.

Pooch

18. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, I have never tried to replace a warners case as there is no need. I have never broken one and do not expect to. They do not suffer much abuse on the way from the shelf to the player and I have never had a cardboard case damaged in the post.
    Sorry about the swearing.
    Yes, I would be happy to accept a DVD in any sort of case as long as the disc was good.

19. karla

karla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, Im with desade on this one. Plastic cases look rubbish and offer no protection. At least the warners and fox ones show some imagination and dont simply look like stripped down video cases.
    I think desade made a good point when he/she/it pointed out the gap between disc surface and case. Leave alone, Pooch, or Ill come and sort you out!
    (JOKE JOKE JOKE!)