Argh, not the shots I wanted

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by midtones, Mar 21, 2006.

1. midtones

midtones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi chaps,

So I went for a bit of urban shooting last night (only managed a few before Prison Break) :rotfl:

The kit-lense would have been ideal inside but I had the 50 on, (lots of zooming with my legs)

It was in old flats on an estate, would have made for interesting B&W shots, but anyway the colour scheme in there is a nightmare!

Inside it was quite dim, had big circular lighting, almost like cyan walls, and orange and brown floor tiling! Doors were orange!

I tried autoWB/flu/tungsten, iso cranked to 800 and took a handful of shots before leaving.

Checking the pics off the camera, the shots are not too bad, but as soon as I try to resize, very bad noise is apparent and the edges of details gets a very choppy look. I am using ancient PSP5 but dont think it's that.

I didn't expect to see so much noise when doing a resize, the original image looks fine! Converting to B&W for the look I want is a definate no-no.

Maybe I could have gotten away with a lower ISO and flash, or shot RAW then let DPP handle it!

edit: exposure was correct on camera, aperature was around 2.5, I was focussing on a black board with white writing, its the white writing that gets a really bad digital zoom look when I resize.

Any ideas / workflow tips?

Cheers,

K.

2. Peakoverload

Peakoverload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    What camera are you using? If it's something like a 5D, 30D, 20D, 350D, D70, D50, D200 then I'm suprised you are getting excessive noise at ISO 800. These cameras perform extremely well at high ISO's and usually if you are still getting excessive noise using one of them is because you have underexposed your shots. Noise LIVES in the dark areas so getting the correct exposure is even more important at high ISO's.

As it is you are now left with shots that are noisy so without re-shooting you are going to need some noise removal software. I personally use Neat Image but Noise Ninja is also excellent (some say better). If this is out of your budget then you could try opening your photos in your editor, selecting (typically) the red channel and applying some gaussian blur to it. This can help reduce the noise if its coloured noise but it's nowhere near as good as using proper software (or getting the exposure correct in the first place).

3. midtones

midtones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, it was with my 350d+50mm. It's the surrounding very cyan looking walls that get the noise when I resize, and the focus point (black board/white writing) gets very choppy detail.

I'm using the same bicubic resize method I do with other shots and they turn out fine. Some test shots in the office yesterday were fine at iso400.

The shots look fine at original image size, I guess I'll have to play some more with the colour channels in PSP5.

K.

4. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,632
    How are you viewing it in PS, fit to screen or actual pixels?

5. midtones

midtones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's in a window zoomed out x4. I can zoom right into the original size and the image appears fine, (original image)

K.

6. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,632
    Because you are reducing the resolution so as to view the entire image on screen (original is much larger) then compromises are made to the appearance hence the jaggies.

The trick is to work with as large an image as possible, if you are rezing the image for web publication then resie the original to say 800x600 and then view at 100%.

7. midtones

midtones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ay yeah that's what had me confused, I did resize to 800x600. Soon as I got to 1:1 magnification it was really jaggy! I then tried doing a 50% reduction and had the same thing.

Surely if it was anything to do with exposure, or high iso/slow shutter I would notice the problems on the original image.

K.

8. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    Why not post the original size image somewhere so that we can see it for ourselves?

9. midtones

midtones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think I have it sorted, although exposure was showing correct, the lighting
    conditions and high ISO coupled with not ideal shutter speed would have
    caused the noise I think. I don't have the images anymore but I plan to
    shoot again tonight perhaps in RAW too.

If it still comes out bad I will have the RAW images to show you guys :)

Cheers

K.