1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

argh - I think my pana pw6 is dying!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by alexcook, Mar 12, 2005.

1. alexcook

alexcook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

The last week or so my pw6 has started going blank and emitting a quiet high pitched whistling. The green led is going out and is flashing red. has this happened to anyone else or has anyone got any idea what is wrong? The unit is about 18 months old now - and has a fine picture when it is working. It is mounted normally on a wall ( so shouldn't be overheating etc ). thanks for your help - alex

2. fatherted

fatherted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Talking in general (power supplies), rather than specific (panny plasma) - it sounds like a fault with the switch mode power supply to me.

These can whistle, or chirp when they have a fault. Does the whistle turn to a chirp or rapid ticking sound when you turn the power off?

If that is the case, it might be something as simple as a dry joint - or a faulty transistor.

Eitherway, you are best getting it looked at as soon as possible before the fault gets worse causing more damage to that board.

3. alexcook

alexcook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply. The whistling sounds just like a camera flash charging. There is no other sound but the picture flickers, becomes vary faint and distorted and then the screen goes black as though the power is off. The led then starts flashing red. I'll give panasonic a call on monday.

4. fatherted

fatherted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, that describes the sound perfectly - a camera flash charging.

I'm sure you have a power supply fault.

5. chienmort

chienmort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Call 08705 357357 to discuss.

Is FatherTed from Edinburgh on the forum? If so let me know how your single fish is.

6. Pete58

Pete58

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My PW6 decided to intermittently die about 5 weeks ago. I put up with it as i am a bit technical and tried all the normal things like cooling the psu, removing cards, giving it a swift slap, etc all to no avail. As the beast is still under warrenty i had it picked up and away it went for repair. A week later i received a call saying that no fault could be found despite numerous tests.
    Parts have been changed relating to the probable fault and i am waiting for its return. Maybe you should hire a van and just take your screen for a ride

7. sneill

sneill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Hi Alex,

This exact same problem happened to my PWD6, the problem happened once one evening, then again about a week later but then happened twice in one night....

That's when I called Panasonic UK about this they arranged to repair the plasma.

In Mid Jan they got their outsourced company/agent called Barron McCann to collect the unit and return it back to Panasonic UK for repair. Thankfully as still under warranty(just!) they also provided a loan unit. My plasma was confirmed repaired last week by Panasonic and was scheduled for return delivery this week except when I called Barron McCann today they advised they forgot to load my plasma into the delivery van!. As I based in Dublin they only do 1 run to Ireland each week so I have to wait until next week.

I've seen threads on this forum advising that the main thing that goes faulty in Plasma is the switch mode power supply, the Barron McCann engineer who collected the Plasma confirmed the same. Yours is the 1st thread that I've read that sounds identical to my problem.

I think you should call Panasonic Uk and push them for repair. The Barron McCann engineer advised they can often repair the fault in your home during their callout. I had my unit returned back to factory to have the software updated to fix a problem getting a picture from Arcam DV29 via HDMI to the DVI board.
    I was planning on updating an old thread of mine once I got my Plamsa back and confirmed the HDMI>DVI issue was resolved.

Slightly off thread but contary to what I had read on various threads Panasonic UK were helpful all the way:
    * bought a Arcam DV29
    * shipped it to Japan and got one of their engineers to replicate my problem and identified the cause as software related
    * supplied a loan plasma
    * sent me weekly updates

Hope this info helps you with your problem.