Argh DVD Players these days!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GarethH, Feb 13, 2001.

1. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am thinking of Replacing my Pioneer 626D DVD Player. The main trouble is i havent a clue what to go for.

Toshiba players have fantastic picture, sound and build quality but then they do not play CDr disc and dont have very good cd quality playback.

Pioneer's have Cdr and good quality CD playback but build quality is a bit crap and the pictures are not as Good as Toshiba's.

Sony's are good for TV's but i just dont like their DVD players.

The rest are not good enough for me.

Come on Toshiba, sort out your CD Playback and Cdr problem and i bet you'll steal the market from Pioneer!

Argh! What should i get? My budget is £600!

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I am currently looking for a new DVD player, too, but I figured you can't have it all (see my post 'DVD Players in Singapore/Malaysia').
    Was closely looking at the Sony DVP-S7700 which is very cheap in Singapore (SGD1100) but only automode regionfree, ie not RCE compatible.
    In Malaysia only the Pioneer DV-636 is left on the market, AV/Hifi shops just do not sell any other models anymore!
    Personally I wouldn't like Pioneer either but maybe I will have no choice.
    Toshiba's CD replay is said to be improved lately (according to HCC reviews) while CD-R is not an issue for me.
    Guess I will wait a while and see what happens .... or win the lottery and by a Proceed PMDT.

------------------
    If I can't eat it, drink it or fudge it, I ain't interested.

3. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    SD200E supports CD-R, check there website, but as you say CD playback is poor

I'd audition a Toshiba SD500E it is DVD Audio-A, and you should get it for under £500, maybe worth waiting till the RCE problem is fixed though

------------------
    Put the bunny back in the box !

4. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm,

In your price range.
    I suggest the sony 7700. I believe it can also play CDr.
    And in holland this machine's modification is RCE capable. I believe the regions can be changed manually or automatically.

Sony DVDplayers are noted for the fact that their picture quality is amongst the best.
    The 335 is best in picture in a recent german test.(pioneer 535 best in sound)

Another option is to have 1 dvd and 1 dedicated cd player. Even the best DVD players are just mediocre CDplayers.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The Toshiba 9000 (old luxury model) can be bought for £399 multi region now days, it was originally £800 R2 only. It is a stunning player with a few minor limitations. I think it is a steal for those on a budget. Quality is always quality. Picture is awesome with build and sound to match. It is not the usual noisey, plastic cheap machine. The 900, replacement for the 9000, adds NTSC progressive scan, a Scart and DVD Audio capability, not much for £1000 extra. Well worth a look, excellent reviews (including on this site). For once, the reviews tell the correct story.

For the record, even the best DVD players are NOT mediocre CD players. There are now DVD players that can compete with the best of the CD world. The machines are out there if you look and I don't mean DVD Audio or SACD.

[This message has been edited by Nic Rhodes (edited 14-02-2001).]

6. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could do worse that the Marantz DV 7010.
    CD playback is top notch and I have had no problem with RCE discs. I have a Marantz downstairs and a Pioneer 535 upstairs and the Marantz outrates it by 90%.
    £600 multi region from Sevenoaks.