• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Argh! Disc stuck in drive.

Spudhead

Just got my intel 520 sad this morning, it comes with one of those stupid mini discs that you have to insert, popped it into the disc drive on my MBP and nothing happened, disc drive didnt spin up or anything. Im guessing its too small to be recognised or something like that?

Anyways tried pressing the eject button and nothings happening? Whats the best way to get it out?

Cheers,
Spudhead

Edit: Just tried the terminal command.

drutil eject

Still nothing, disc drive makes the noise like its ejecting something but nothing happening.

Last edited:

Spudhead

Solved it.

Anyone else in this same situation in the future, note down this useful tip. Get yourself a credit card, but some double sided sticky tape on one side.

Got to terminal, type 'drutil eject'

Get your credit card ready, hit the enter button and as the drive starts to eject put the credit card in and stick it to the disc then just simply pull it out.

P.s. intel why do you use sucky mini discs/cd's?

bpsmith

Distinguished Member
I didn't want to post that but, I agree, I would never contemplate using one of those small discs unless I had an ejectable drawer with the drive centre to physically stick it on. Slot loading is a definite no. I usually just download the up to date Apps and Drivers from the web anyway.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Alternatively, if you ever get your credit card stuck in the drive then you can attach some sticky tape to a compact disc and use this to retrieve your credit card with :lesson::smashin:

Spudhead

Well seen's as Ive used my disc drive less than a handful of times since owning it, I never knew that. Also never used a mini disc before. So sorry we're not all as knowledgeable as you guys!

D

Deleted member 27989

Glad you got it out, I'd imagine it was a panic moment :)

Ps in osx you don't need any drivers for the disk anyway :)

Spudhead

Glad you got it out, I'd imagine it was a panic moment :)

Ps in osx you don't need any drivers for the disk anyway :)

Yeah, especially because if I had to take it to the nearest Apple store for them to remove its a 2 hour car journey! So crapped my pants a tad.

Yeah it was a toolbox thing intel supply for optimizing the SSD, so tried downloading it from intel's website after I got the disc removed and it turns out its not even available for OSX anyways. :facepalm:

This SSD is phenomenal though. Power button to desktop - 12 seconds. Getting around 300mbs write and 505mbs read. :D

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom