Argh! Decisions Decisions! Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by redbarman, Jan 9, 2005.

1. redbarman

redbarman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey!

I have a decision to make deciding camcorders and I'm totally stuck! Basically I have decided on a type of camcorder (miniDV) and I have shopped around and whittled down my choice to 3 or maybe 5 camcorder units and now I'm stuck and was wondering if anyone could help!

The units I can afford are The JVC DVP9, the Canon MV6iMC and the Sony DCR-PC9 and I cant choose between them! I could also push a bit further and buy a Canon MVX10i but I dunno if this extra expenditure would be worth it! Still with me good!

Well anyway I have read camcorder magazines and read reviews and I dunno what one to choose and can'd decide between them in terms of features so I was hoping that by throwing it to you guys you'd be able to add ever important opinion to critical review!!!! :lease:

Thanks for the help and I look forward to reading your responses :thumbsup:

2. iamian

iamian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which company has been making cameras longer than the others?

3. redbarman

redbarman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Canon have been making camcorders longest have they not? Take it that means canon??? Should i push my budget further though and get the mvx10i?

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well the earliest Sony Camcorders are from 1984 AFAIK

Canon earliest for camera cameras

5. redbarman

redbarman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But if you ladies and gents had to choose between one what one would you choose, to be quite frank I dont care about the chicken or the egg but i just assumed that guy meant the manufacturer to be the answer!!! bah digital cammeras are complicated but simple compared to this!!!

6. iamian

iamian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're looking for an opinion then I've never had any trouble with anything with the Canon name on it (that'll have blown it!) and they do tend to specialize in cameras, they do first rate film and digital still cameras. The others are electronics companies and I've often found Sony overpriced and not as reliable as the name suggests.

There will be retractors but that is my opinion, if that's what you want!

7. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think you'll find that Sony camcorders are highly rated on this site - I'm on my 3rd one having gone from Hi-8 to Digital 8 to mini-dv.

There have been problems with Canons in the past (can't answer for the latest models) in that they tended to pick up the tape motor noise, which could be iritating.

Don't personally know much about the JVC.

What are you're intentions with regards to usage, as this could push you towards a particular model?

8. ibrox50

ibrox50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    totally agree with MELLIOTT1963 on this one im a huge fan of the sony dcr-hc18e :thumbsup:

9. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    canon & sony are both good, budget end of market Sony wins out, prosumer, canons the one, Pro, it's back to Sony, or possibly even Panasonic.

Canons are the most compact, all the models you metnion have quite bad handling noise and pick up zoom noise etc. They are so compact you cannot aviod it.