1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Argh..confused about which 50" plasma to get

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by matelot, Jul 15, 2005.

1. matelot

matelot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Choices are as follows;

Fujitsu P50XHA40US
    Panasonic VIERA TH-50PV500B
    Pioneer PDP-505XDE

Money isnt the issue here, its really that I want a top notch screen for my money. Having said that I fully intend to view each one using HDMI and Component video sources.

What I really want to know is if there is a clear leader in terms of PQ and functionality. Reading through this forum and many others I get the idea that the fujitsu offers the best screen, but the lack of RGB scart puts me off as I really dont want the hassle of fiddling around, unless there is an easy way of connecting sky+ to it.

I'm leaning toward the Panasonic at the moment, but its just a general feeling than anything scientific.

Just for your info, the screen will be hooked up the following kit (incase it makes a difference).

Denon AVC-A11XV Receiver
    Denon DVD 3910 DVD/SACD Player
    KEF KHT-9000 7.1 Speakers

I'm assuming there are owners of each screen type on this forum so personal experiences of each would be of huge benefit.

Oh and if you see any immediate problems with the denon/kef kit, i.e. connection problems or alternatives in the same price bracket etc.. your suggestions would be most welcome.

Many thanks in advance

Mark.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    get the Fujitsu and if money isnt an issue a a scaler Lumagen HDP should do the JOB

3. matelot

matelot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when I said money wasnt an issue, I meant that its not a deciding factor of which screen to get in this case. Not that money isnt an issue at all :)

4. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Lack of RGB scart on the Fujitsu doesn't need to be a worry. It has an s-video input and the Sky+ box has an s-video output socket.

5. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is'nt s-video well down the pecking order in terms of quality?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    depending on implemntation it can be just below RGB scart and works even better on some pannys.....................also the Denon AMP can upconvert S-video to component for ease of use

7. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aaaah, amp switching.

The denon is a very capable amp, how will it compare to a scaler?

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well as it does no scaling at all pretty badly, wont even de-interlace so it wont look any better (shouldn't and S-video direct may be better) but can simplify cabling. There is a difference between what can be used, and what should be used.

9. matelot

matelot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, the denon does do scaling afaik, excerpt from the specs i've seen

"Video up/down conversion, Scaling (480p/720p/1080i) to Component Output"

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Ooops wrong denon i thought you had a 3805 not the big BOY so yes it will scale, i think you have an answer dont wastye time on a TV get a panel and rejoice

11. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD,

you have to read the smallprint :)

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    give me a break you think i actually have time to read what people post?

13. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That explains a lot.

14. matelot

matelot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for that guys. can i ask you how well you think the rest of the system is suited? apologies if i should repost this in another part of the forum

15. matelot

matelot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    actually, one potentially stupid question, the fujitsu displays 1.07 billion colours, panny 8.x and 7.x for the pioneer.

is this not a significant and important point to the PQ?

16. Hubert

Hubert
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my 505XDE tonight and am thrilled. Freeview is superb, so is the output from Xbox Media Center on 720p via hi-def component. Haven't tested HDMI yet. I couldn't imagine the picture being any better. I'll post some photos soon...

17. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Hello all

av2diefor - :)

matelot - please don't confuse what Denon are offering in the new AV Receiver with what you get in a well designed external Video Processor; one's a convenience feature and the others a user Programmable Device with all sorts of adjustable parameters to ensure you optimise your image quality across a range of source devices.

Any 50" Plasma Display/PlasmaTV you purchase will require a degree of time, patience and some expertise to ensure you see it at its optimum performance - there are tools to aid the DIY'er or you call in the professionals as part of your purchase/budgeting.

A Plasma Display (with or without External Processor) is no more difficult to operate than a PlasmaTV - and often they are simpler to operate and folk often add in a Programmable Remote to a system to ensure you have a more intuitive 'Master Controller' for the rest of the family to operate.

Interfacing a SCART RGB source (SKY+) with a Display is very simple and really shouldn't be a factor in your decision making process.

Functionality is another Red Herring - with a Plasma Display you often do nothing more than switch it in and out of standby; source selection is often carried out using your AV Receiver or external Video Processor; with possibly the odd requirement to switch between an Analogue and a Digital Input on the Display.

Like most consumer kit an awful lot of the 'features' on PlasmaTV's are simply not required or ever used by the majority of owners - picture in picture is possibly the only 'function' I hear folk talking about as something they actually use.

With a Plasma Display the most important setting/functions are the ones you or your installer/calibrator will use to optimise the Display - and these are often not the most intuitive menus to follow, use or understand. That's where the experience of your installer/calibrator comes into play.

All three Plasma products you list have strengths and weaknesses - for me the Fujitsu is currently the best option and will benefit from use of an external Video Processor; though its not obligatory if your keeping an eye on your budget.

Keep in mind too you can add in an external Video Processor at any time.

Personally I'd go with a different DVD player - I prefer the offerings from Arcam or Pioneer; simpler units with the ability to output interlaced non scaled signals via HDMI which is ideal if you were to contemplate an external Video Processor.

The KHT system works well - its simply a matter of ensuring its a good match with your room.

Best regards

Joe

18. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Is it true that Pioneer are bringing out a new 50 inch model?

19. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Hello alwyn

I guess you've not been keeping an eye on the AVForums 'Latest Hardware News' - right hand edge of the Home page.

The PDP-436XDE and PDP-506XDE will launch in Sept 06.

No news on any new MXE1 'Display' models though - and keep in mind the 05XDE are currently on offer with Free Fights to the US; which some folk feel is a very useful 'Feature'.

Best regards

Joe

20. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like good news:

"Pioneer has confirmed that it will introduce its 6th generation plasma TVs at IFA show in Berlin from 2-7 September.

The products will apparently feature several breakthroughs in plasma flat panel technology and picture processing and, as you'd expect from Pioneer, they will all be HD Ready.

The four models will be:
    * PDP-506XDE – 50 inch – ‘HD ready’ – built-in DTT
    * PDP-436XDE – 43 inch – ‘HD ready’ – built-in DTT
    * PDP-506FDE – 50 inch – ‘HD ready’
    * PDP-436FDE – 43 inch – ‘HD ready’ "

This is from an earlier post, not that ive checked its validity,or if its 05 or 06.

Exiting times ahead though as Pioneer broke a lot of ground with its Plasma's.

21. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    Have you already bought the denon kit?
    I would not bother with the 3910 dvd player, there are far better options out there and for a lot less money. Can't comment on the amp, I used to have an A1 denon and that was pretty good, but there are some stunning processors and preamps about, and if you buy used you could be laughing.

22. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I will be in the market to buy Joe,want to give me a price when you have details?
    alwyn

23. matelot

matelot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    many thanks for all your input. Based on this I feel that the fujitsu is definately worth a much closer look. Infact, Piers has kindly offered to demo me the kit at his place so i'm planning on taking a trip up there.

I've not seen a decent plasma setup yet so it'll be an interesting day, particularly intereted in the effects of an external processor.

many thanks,

mark.