Argh, can't get into service mode on Sony Wega!

P

primedude

Well, I just bought a Sony KV24FV300 (NTSC, used) and there are a few problems with the geometry. Before I admit that I've been taken advantage of, I think I can fix these problems with the service mode. Except I can't get into it.

I tried following the instructions here (http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/sonyadj.html) but they have no effect. Is there something else I can try?

The problems with the TV aren't TOO bad. But they are annoying, and I'd love to try to get them fixed.

I tried a search, and I didn't turn up anything that I haven't tried yet. Thanks so much for the help.

:hiya:
Hi Primedude, welcome to the forums.
To get into service mode you need to do the following,
1. Put the tv in standy mode.
2. Press the following combination on the remote control:
i+
Volume +
Volume-
[ ] Blank square box usually on the top of the remote control.
This should give you access to the service menu and the tv should display TT.
To exit service mode, key in 00.
Hope this helps !

Hello, and thank you for the responses and the welcome. I appreciate them.

Unfortunately, I am still unable to get into service mode. Possibly the problem is that my TV is not in standby mode. How do I get into that? Also, I don't see the i+ or the [] key on my remote. Also note that my TV is an NTSC set, which may explain these differences.

Anyway, I really appreciate any help anyone can provide, even just verifying that this television has a service mode. Thanks so much.

Service switch - small, round opening in the rear cabinet near the Video inputs or the antenna jack (typically early-90's), push and hold while turning the power on - or if there is no service switch on the rear of the TV use the remote control and press within one second (timing is very important) of each other:

[PWR OFF] - [DISP], [5], [VOL+], [PWR ON]
-or-
[PWR OFF] - [DISP], [5], [PWR ON]

NAVIGATE IN SERVICE MODE

[1] = Moves to Previous Menu Item
[4] = Moves to Next Menu Item
[3] = Adjusts Value Up
[6] = Adjusts Value Down
[MTS] = Toggles Stereo/Mono Audio

SAVE NEW SETTING

[MUTE] followed by [ENTER] = stores NEW service mode settings to NVRAM

RESTORE USER SETTINGS

[8] followed by [ENTER] = Restores All *USER* settings to factory defaults

RESET VALUES

[0] followed by [ENTER] = Read Default service mode value from stored settings. (service mode reset)

LEAVE SERVICE MODE

[PWR OFF] = Leave Service Mode any settings not written will be in effect until TV is unplugged or a Reset is performed.

RETURN TO DEFAULT SETTINGS:

BEFORE storing NEW settings - unplug TV from wall, wait a few seconds, then plug back in, turn TV set on - All settings not written will have been lost.

AFTER storing NEW settings - restore original value from list you made of original values before adjustments and store in NVRAM.

Hey all,

Just though I'd post an update: apparently I had been doing something wrong because I eventually got DISP - 5 - VOL + - PWR to work. And I was able to correct the worst of the problems with the picture. However, there is a noticeable upwards bow to the screen that is particular evident when viewing letterboxed DVDs, and I can't find a service mode setting that affects this. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for?

Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom