1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Argggh - what to buy

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Neil Watson, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Well this is my 1st post on the forum for well over a year so have given myself a slap for that :)

Right, I'm looking to buy a LCD projector in the sub £1300 catagory. I have read the threads on here and it appears the Panasonic AE500 and the Sanyo Z2 are favourites with you.

So far I have found the Z2 inc free pixel check for £1122 via mail order. However I can get the AE500 locally including free screen for £1245.

Don't know what to do and would appreciate any advice. :lease:

2. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Neil,

I definitely would include Hitachi PJ-TX100 in your shortlist.

You probably found most threads for Z2 and AE500, that is because they have been released much much longer and hence more owners and Q&A;s.

But looking at this working thread - thread it is looking darn good, judging from the first tests from US, Germany and France, and it is cheaper as well. It has all the features Sanyo has, but it has added even more stuff to it.

And with www.progressive-av.com having a 3year on-site warranty! all for £1059.99 inc delivery, that would be my personal choice in the lower LCD segment, no sweat.

Update - Hitachi withdrew their 3year onsite according to Liam at progressive, so its now equal at all sellers, but he says it is selling like hot cakes!

Wasabi

3. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Thanks for the advice Wasabi as what with the head to head review posted elsewhere I've added that to the shortlist :)

Themescene H30 (well it would be rude not to at least give one DLP a try)
    Ae500
    Hitachi PJ-TW100
    Sanyo Z2

However, why is it so hard to find somewhere that is willing to demo PJ's?

Went out to two places in the Reading, Berkshire area today to see if I could see them in action.

The 1st retailer stocked the Ae500 (hardly surprising since they are a Panny dealer). They don't have one setup (headoffice in Henley does) and didn't want to demo it in the shop as the ambient light would be too bright so would probably put me off. Fair comment and they at least got one out of the box so I could see it and blimey its small.

The 2nd was SevenOaks in Reading. Asked if I could just get a simple demo of LCD vs DLP as I mentioned some people were susceptible to various traits. e.g Vertical banding on LCD and Rainbowing on DLP. Got the answer Rainbowing is always there on cheaper DLP's dunno where you got the 1in10 people figure as that sounds like its been plucked out the sky!!! He then went on to say we don't do LCD's full stop (some other branches do) as DLP far outweighs LCD and were not aiming for the mass market and so £2k DLP machines and upwards is where we start. To add even more amusement he said the highres LCD's I was thinking of aren't much use as you can't power them at their native res. Mentioned using a HTPC and got well the best you'll get is 576p. Didn't seem to believe you could power them straight from a PC at their native res????

So. Dunno where to go from here as so far I have not seen any of the projectors in action and whilst there appear to be some cracking deals £1019 for the Hitachi I would at least like to see them 1st before parting with my cash :(

4. Ciaran500

Ciaran500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the same boat as you, I can't find anywhere to demo the pj I'm interested in. So what I'm doing is reading everyones comments about the pj and trying to make up my mind on which one to buy.

At the moment I think I'll be buying a TX-100, but I'm waiting till about mid summer so any problems of the TX should be exposed.

Its killing me to wait that long, when I have the cash in hand and could have a home cinema set up by next week :(. But I'm not buying something I don't know anything about.

5. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Well I have decided to eliminate the H30 and the Sanyo Z2 so its down to the Ae500 or the TX100.

Is there anywhere I can get either of these demoed nearby (well about 30min drive I guess) to Reading?

I suppose my only real concern is that the Ae500 supposedly has less noticable chicken-wire effect but is this likely to be a consideration with either from seating 3m away and image size of no more than 72in diagonal?

Finally, I presume any reputable retailer would offer to do a stuck pixel check on an LCD PJ or does this not work in practice since even if the retailer did do one and you found upon delivery it had a defect then you are (excuse the pun) stuck with it as being within tolerance?

Thanks in advance for any advice
    Neil

6. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32

www.discounttv.co.uk who offer a dead pixel check will still replace the pj if it has developed a dead/stuck pixel on it's way to you. :thumbsup:

7. MikeBB

MikeBB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

can i ask why you said no to a h30 as thats what i am currently interested in?

8. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I just decided I wanted a native widescreen projector which the chip on H30 isn't. 800x600chip running at 800x480.

Just think the 1280x768 LCD's will have a more detailed image.

9. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Neil,

Have you read the big shootout between Z2, AE500, HS20 and TX100 at Cine4home?

Link - here

And there is a tweaking page for TX100 as well.

They will also update later a new comparison after they optimized the tweakings on all 4 pj's, as well as include Epson's TW200 when they get a unit.

Am I saying that I would still favor Hitachi atm? ;D

Oh, I'm sure you know that Ivojo.co.uk and shootandshow.co.uk are selling it for £1020? although no free dead pixel check. discounttv's pixel check is not free on TX100.

Wasabi

10. rayb74

rayb74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all ! Im new to these forums.
    After borrowing a Sanyo PJ from work and watching LOTRings on it i was hooked and 4 months later I finally bought my first PJ yesterday .
    I FINALLY got my hands on a TX 100 and I Couldnt believe the picture.
    I watched Predator on it last night and had the biggest grin on my face ALL THE WAY THROUGH IT !!!!!!

The reviews are spot on and if you try one out you will agree. Whats more I paid £1050 (inc) and I say buy one before they put the PRICE UP !!!!!
    You aint gonna find a better LCD PJ anywhere near its price.

11. Ashmie

Ashmie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I've had a Hitachi PJ TX100 for a week now and I have to say that I'm disappointed!

Either I'm doing something wrong or the projector is because the pictures it produces are covered with a grainy texture that must be the dreaded "screen-door".

I'm new to this game so can't say for sure and this seems to be at odds with the reviews I've seen, but it's bad enough to be distracting on a screen and on a wall.

I hadn't seen it anything like as bad on any other LCD PJs I've demoed.

Any ideas? Is it me or the projector?

In every other way the projector's great.