1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Argggh - Headwarp time!! PLUGE and TT

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Boris Blank, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Ok, I'm helping set up a Barco 808 and I'm using Digital Video Essentials to set brightness and contrast. In TT, the settings are;

Brightness=8
    Contrast=100
    Hue=0
    Stauration=100
    Gamma=81

So far so good, contrast is fine, go to set brightness using PLUGE and ....... oh dear, why are there only 2 gray vertical bars when there should be 3!?? Turning up brightness in TT to 20 or so and the missing blacker than black bar appears. Hmmmm.

Its been a while whilst I did this but am I right in saying that seeing the blacker than black bars means that I am at or above 7.5 IRE and when the blacker than black bars disappear (when lowering brightness in TT from 20 to 8) I am at 0 IRE ????

I think thats right but just can't remember! Arrrghhh, I forget all these things sometimes :(
    Thanks
    Paul

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    3 bars?

3. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Hi Keith,
    Yes the Pluge pattern in Digital VE has 3 vertical bars either side of a vertical grayscale.

I'm pretty sure that if you can see all 3 bars then you are at 7.5IRE (if the player displays blacker than black) and lowering brightness even further, you then only see 2 bars (the 0IRE bars having disappeared into the background) but I just can't remember if thats correct and as we haven't got the amp/speakers in place we can't hear the commentary :( (hopefully sort that out this weekend).
    Paul

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Sorry for some reason I thought you were using Avia.
    If you are setting for 0IRE you won't see below black.

5. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Thanks Keith, it all makes sense now I've sat and thought about it - I'm not going insane after all!
    Paul