1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Argentina the dogs cojones!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by la gran siete, Jun 15, 2005.

1. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    Having spent two weeks I can safely say that its well worth a visit ,that is if. you want something different from the usually tedious Mediterranean escapade with its overcrowded beaches ,narcistic idiots ,pretentious restaurants and bars.What Argentiuna offers is variety especially in its landscape .and culture.From its fauna- walrus, whales, guanacos, rheas, llamas, armadilloes,vicuñas,crocodiles, capibaras, tucans, parrots, condors etc to its flora – giant cactuses, palo borracho( drunken tree) ombu ( a kind of herbaceous tree)and all manner of jungle vegetation it offers much to the discerning visitor who wants to see more than sand, sea and a bunch of idiots parading on beaches.Ok it also “boasts” sea resorst such as Miramar and Mar del Plata but you' do do well to avoid them because this country also has its share of narcisists.
    One can start by visiting Puerto Valdez to check the sea elephants and whales( the welsh communities in Trelew and Puerto Madryn are close by).One can then head south to Ushuaia in Tierra del Fuego with its stunning mountaneous vistas , then head up to Lago Argentino and the glaciers – Upsala and Perito Moreno. Huge icebergs can be seen floating in the lake. Go further north and you hit the lake districts at Esquel, Bariloche and San Marin the los Andes, stunningly beautiful they are popular resorts both in winter and summer.. A couple of provinces further up and things start getting rather more “colonial “- Mendoza, Argentina's prime wine producing area( next year I shall make a point of experiencing the wine festival in March),nearby in San Juan lies the Valle de Las Lunas or lunar landscape. Now to the northwest there is Salta la linda which is divided into jungle in the NE to flat plains to dry mountains ( the Puna) to mountains covered in vegetation( the result of a microclimate) to a deep gorge running all the way into Jujuy called the Quebrada de Humamuaca. Some of the vistas are quite stunning and it's well worth horseriding through some of it You can do a three day ride for about £ 90.Cheap as chips.Salta city has wonderful old buildings including an incredibly ornate cathedral. Inext is Jujuy province where there is a reconstructed Inca fortification called Pucara.( near a village called Tilcara)This province happens to border Bolivia and as aresult there is a considerable indigenous presence
    Out to the NE lies the subtropical area and the famous cataratas del Iguasu( Falls), Ibera wetlands and all the fauna associated with that region ie crocs capibara and variuos exotic birds.
    Argentina is also cheap ie very cheap – most things cost about a third of Uk prices a situation to a large extent brought about by devaluation of the peso. A meal for fours in a s****y restaurant in Puerto Madero cost me £ 35.This is an area frequented by visitors which is situated in the old port of Buenos Aires. It has been “ done up” much as docklands have and boasts impressive illumination – food 's good too.Generally I would avoid poncy cooking because Argentines dont do sauces well but PM is an exemption.Elsewhere I would look for standard Argie cooking which is parilla , pasta and pizza. Parilla consists of varoius pieces of meat and offal( chorizos black pudding, sweetbreads, kidneys and bowel) cooked on charcoal grill . The beef is plentiful cheap and very good but , as I said , avoid the sauces.Upon a visit to Belgrano Athletic Club( one of BA's oldest rugby /cricket clubs) I made the mistake of ordering a piece of fillet steak covered with cheese and ham interlaced with several strips of anchovy – ugh! Cooked by a culinory psycopath..BAC 's clubhouse is interesting though as it is very much like going into some old clubhouse in England- much rugby/cricket/ bowls paraphenelia, cups ,wood cladded walls, old pictures of various sportsmen and a dartboard.Even spotted a photo of an uncle of mine who captained BAC during the thirties and captained an Argentine selection in 1932. His name -Ted Turner.
    As for culture well Argentina is a melting pot of people from various parts of Europe and Asia Minor who have brought with them their own traditons and who subsequently created their own music and dance such as tango, samba ,milonga and chacarera. Buenos Aires boasts some very impressive buildings( admittedly pastiches of Italian and French architecture) and one of the most famous opera houses – The Colon.There is also a bohemian district bin BA called San Telmo where all the artists muscians dancers and buskers hang out . Great atmosphere! If you like footy then a visit to Boca Juniors club is a must. The atmosphere there is amasing, but do stay awy from the “Hinchas”( footy fans) especially if you are a gringo.
    I could go on about this wonderful country but cant be rrsed any more so I''ll just close by saying that if possible its best “doing Argentina” that is take 6/8 weeks off and tour the whole country armed with a Rough Guide. You'll nay be disappointed .

2. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Enjoyed it then?

3. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    Yes but then I am biased! :D Went twice in the last 14 months.

4. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Never liked the place myself. Too many Argies.. :hiya:

5. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you must be fluent in Latin :)

6. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    What is an argie? An Italian who speaks Spanish wishes he was French and admires the Brits.There are 500000 people of British decent living there and a few hundred who have migrated back to the Uk.There are Russians ,Poles, Arabs ( called turcos), Irish, chinese Croats Serbs and Scandinavians. The one odd thing until very recntly there were no blacks??Odd when BA had the main slave trading station in that neck of the woods.

7. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    no Sanskrit and ancient babylonian

8. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: