Question Arendal Sub 3, PSA V1801 or SVS PB16 Ultra - How do they compare

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by angliaboy, Feb 20, 2018.

1. angliaboy

angliaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Im researching into buying a higher quality sub rather than a DIY effort of mine as obviously buying one will be more aesthetically pleasing (Separate amp issues) - but the DIY could potentially be substantially better for around the same cost or possibly less cost. DIY I was thinking SP4 sealed build wiht an inuke, but i have nowhere to put the inuke amp really. The other plus is that it can be purchased piece by piece i.e. more affordable; Cabinet, stuffing, electrics, driver etc.

I have looked and heard positive recommendations for the following subs but have no idea of capability or comparison over the potential DIY build. So Im asking for opinions, especially people who have heard all three

Arendal Sub 3, PSA V1801 or SVS PB16 Ultra

Obviously the SVS is considerably more expensive and IMO, looks the nicest, but is it worth it?

To be fair Im probably more partial to the other 2 because of the price, but all opinions welcome and thanks for taking the time to read my babbling

2. sanjualf

sanjualf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    I think the PB16 ultra is too expensive compared to the others and not sure if it is worth the extra cost at all.
    I would also consider the PSA S3000 as well with its fantastic dual15 inch drivers and it goes really low for a seals sub.
    If you go to PSA USA website Tom V (owner) would be able to answer you better in web chat. Very informative and impartial advice from him.
    Also drop an email to Jan at Arendal and he would give nice advice on your needs.

3. angliaboy

angliaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Hi, thanks for taking the time to respond. I get wary speaking to manufacturers/retailers as They will always be biased towards their own products or steer you towards the ones that make the most profit in most cases so find it hard to fully trust what they say.

Actual user experience is far more valuable in my opinion

4. sanjualf

sanjualf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    I can assure you that TomV from PSA would be really helpful in his advice. (He used to own the SVS in the past( V in the SVS) I know from personal experience in chatting with him as well as several other forum members where he actually advised them to stay with their own sub rather than recommending a PSA sale. He actually recommended me that I go dual SB2000 (when I had a single sb2000 already)rather than ordering a PSA 1500 in my room sometime back

5. adam-burnley

adam-burnley
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,264
    I agree (to a degree) on retailers, but there are some good dealers that will genuinely not sell to you if they don't believe you will be 100% happy. Yes they will typically promote brands they sell, but should know where individual products stack up against the competition.

For what its worth, I spoke to Jan at Arendal about my requirements, and found him to be very honest. As Arendal provide a Buy and Try service, its not really in their interest to oversell their products.

6. angliaboy

angliaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Thanks guys, restores my faith a little. maybe ill hit him up with a message