Question Arendal Sub 2 or SVS SB3000

Stellavision

I finally have some surplus cash to invest in a new Subwoofer and I am allowing myself a budget up to £1500. My living room is a modest small to medium size and I have narrowed it down to the SVS SB3000 or the Arendal Sub 2. Both are currently almost identical in price depending on the finish.
On paper the Sub 2 looks as if it would have an obvious advantage due to the opposed drivers, but the SVS has some great specs and features too. Does anyone have any experience with either or both?

I also had the PSA 1510 on my shortlist, but I’m still not sure about the finish. There also seems to be a wait time to actually get one shipped as they are made to supply demand.

Any thoughts welcome.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Arendal Sub2 is also competitor to larger SVS SB4000. Not sure if i have linked these earlier for you, but here is some translated review comparison of both. The actual tests was done in some Nordic site which Arendal reps have linked in owners thread before. SVS has more slam at 20hz and under, but other than that Arendal sounded better as whole. Sub2 became their new reference sub.

Test of: SVS SB-4000 - ReviewZorro

S1510 - 1249£
Sub 2 - 1376£

SB4000 - 1800£
SB3000 - 1349£

There was also big subwoofer group test on Lyd&Bilde including MK Sound V12, B&W DB4S and many more, Sub2 was their pick! Yep they are only reviews, but still intresting.

PSA S1510 is very tough to beat in UK (price/performance/quality/support), basically SVS SB4000 performance for 550£ less.. Dodge is likely the only one who has owned both Sub2 and S1510 in same room.

Stellavision

Thanks for the reply Gasp, it’s useful stuff.
Good to know that the Sub 2 is more of a competitor to the SB4000. I had also considered the SB4000 as I think it looks like a great sub, but I’d rather not go over my £1500 limit if I can help it.
I do realise that the PSA S1510 offers great bang for buck and I may revisit the idea one final time before completely disregarding it completely. I guess the sub 2 is looking like the favourite. Just a shame about the playboy bunny logo! :D

Stellavision

OK, I have taken the plunge on the Arendal Sub 2. Had to pay a bit extra for the gloss black to please the mrs as she wanted me to buy the SB3000 for her own WAF appeal.
It’s been several long months without a sub and I can’t wait to get back in the game again. Hope I’m not disappointed!

I’m in the exact same predicament but upgrading from a Monolith.

Do you think you’d had gone for S1510 if it was readily available?

Stellavision

I’m in the exact same predicament but upgrading from a Monolith.

Do you think you’d had gone for S1510 if it was readily available?

Good question. I think it may have made the decision a little harder if the S1510 was readily available. However, the Arendal looks aesthetically much nicer and I think I would still have chosen that.

Stellavision

Several weeks later the Arendal Sub 2 continues to impress me. The bass is clean, deep, tight and integrates so well.
I’ve had quite a few subwoofers in the past and this is my favourite.
I have no regrets and wouldn’t think twice at recommending it to anyone.

Last edited:

SonOfSJ

There is a highly favourable review, by our own Mr Steve Withers, of the SVS SB-3000 subwoofer in the current (May 2019, number 298) issue of Home Cinema Choice print magazine, available now at all good newsagents .... That issue also has a (separate) long question-and-answer session about subwoofer philosophy and practice with the SVS President Mr Gary Yacoubian.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom