Arendal Sound Subwoofers - Owners & Discussion

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
That sucks. Another reason to keep my sub 3
😅

'doesnt your sub 3 fall off a clif after 20hz? isnt that rubbish?'
Now I don't actually mean what I just asked you.. but you sound like a knob be-littling Quora's recent new purchase just because its the newer more updated version of yours and you want to try and attach or suggest its not a neccesary or valuable upgrade to your sub3. (FYI it is worth the cash for that phenomenal straight line to 10hz and dual driver design)

Quorra, you should ask mark for some advice on subwoofers.. clearly if ur changing the settings in audssey like the physical distance, u probably understand subs less than me and are out of ur depth.

An REW + UMIK + Proper placement of the subwoofer will get you 60% there. Ask one of the more knowledgable members like Mark do help you with REW and you'll get the other 40-45% of the potential of ur subwoofer. I cannot highlight the above more.. u need to put the subwoofer in the right place (and no its not next to the front speakers, its where u get the best response and u can only reliably know this with a UMIK and REW).

No way in hell should the subwoofer working as it should sound ANYTHING near what the towers, ported or unported, should be able to produce... the subwoofer should be in a different STRATOSPHERE and causing you to think ur room is going to tear down.. and it will get there trust me :) :) ;) ;) :thumbsup::thumbsup:

in terms of running the sub hot.. u do that after u have done the above. the bass should sound tight, fast articulate. THEN you can run the sub hot and add +4, +6, +8.. +10db... whatever you feel sounds good to you and your system. Tight bass has a VERY addictive, tactile, visceral impact that the other ends of the sound spectrum dont have and you might find yourself slowly bumping it up to extreme levels and it not ruining but enhance the film instead.

Last edited:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
For crossovers .. my LCR and surrounds are at 80hz .. I let audyssey handle the top front and rear.
LFE at 120hz

@mb3195 I dont have a umik or rew currently but I plan on getting umik soon

Do you have the Audussey app? Before graph should give you some idea of the response for now..

First impressions for the sub? :)

Saul Goodman

Distinguished Member
On the arendal subs you have input gain. This is to keep a correct gain structure as it can attenuate or boost the incoming signal.

You then have master level, which, in the case here we are talking output.

Set the input gain accordingly to avoid input saturation/clipping, and use the master level as your gain setting.

Conrad.

You can also use the test tones in the AVR or REW combined with a phone SPL app to do basic level matching. It won't be perfect but it'll be better than nothing.

DodgeTheViper

On the arendal subs you have input gain. This is to keep a correct gain structure as it can attenuate or boost the incoming signal.

You then have master level, which, in the case here we are talking output.

Set the input gain accordingly to avoid input saturation/clipping, and use the master level as your gain setting.

I could have told you that ;)

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Levels Menu

1. Ref. Levels - On/off, this sets the subwoofer level to reference position, which is typically the standard for most AV equipment standard calibration levels. We recommend using this setting for anyone with home cinema processors or receivers.

2. Master Level - Adjustable output volume from -20dB to +20dB in 0.5dB increments. Only available if Ref. Level is set to off.

3. Input Gain - The input gain will correctly adjust the subwoofer amplifier input gain according to how high the output is from your source. If you know how high the output gain is from your source, here is how to adjust it properly; 1V output set to +6dB, 2V output set to 0dB, 4V output set to -6dB, or 8V output set to -12dB. The -6dB setting works well with most modern AV equipment as their output levels generally are around 4-8V. Analog preamps typically has a lower output voltage.

DodgeTheViper

'doesnt your sub 3 fall off a clif after 20hz? isnt that rubbish?'

It was certainly one of their shortcomings and in some areas were they underperformed against the competition
The new range is an attempt to bridge that gap.

DLxP

It was certainly one of their shortcomings and in some areas were they underperformed against the competition
The new range is an attempt to bridge that gap.
This is why I went with 1Vs and kept the Sub 3. The Sub 3 excels 20Hz+, while the newer 1Vs should help with the below 20Hz range. That's the theory at least.

DLxP

Do people normally get tracking details with their Arendal orders? I haven't as yet, unless I'm missing something.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Do people normally get tracking details with their Arendal orders? I haven't as yet, unless I'm missing something.
Yes mate, drop them a message to chase up.

being told mine are shipping today 💪🏻

concentus7

Lol they're still sending sparechange stuff to 'review'
Your contributions to this ongoing conversation are really quite inspirational, mate. /s

concentus7

Levels Menu

1. Ref. Levels - On/off, this sets the subwoofer level to reference position, which is typically the standard for most AV equipment standard calibration levels. We recommend using this setting for anyone with home cinema processors or receivers.

2. Master Level - Adjustable output volume from -20dB to +20dB in 0.5dB increments. Only available if Ref. Level is set to off.

3. Input Gain - The input gain will correctly adjust the subwoofer amplifier input gain according to how high the output is from your source. If you know how high the output gain is from your source, here is how to adjust it properly; 1V output set to +6dB, 2V output set to 0dB, 4V output set to -6dB, or 8V output set to -12dB. The -6dB setting works well with most modern AV equipment as their output levels generally are around 4-8V. Analog preamps typically has a lower output voltage.
Thank you, this was much more thoroughly detailed than the my sh*te attempt :smashin: I was assuming Quora was leaving the Ref Level ON, since that's what I think most will use. But yes, that's one of the great things about these subs, that you can control input and output level separately if wanted.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Subs coming to me on Tuesday.....let’s hope the steel rod in my neck holds up! 🤣

Quorra

Thank you, this was much more thoroughly detailed than the my sh*te attempt :smashin: I was assuming Quora was leaving the Ref Level ON, since that's what I think most will use. But yes, that's one of the great things about these subs, that you can control input and output level separately if wanted.
Actually was able to check out the dsp and it had ref level off .. changed it on and seemed to make a difference

Quorra

I can’t wait for the first owner reviews and pictures would be nice.
Here is a pic for you

IMG_0046.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky announces huge original TV show and movie lineup for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cambridge Audio launches DacMagic 200M headphone amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett