Arendal Sound Subwoofers - Owners & Discussion

dkatwa

Standard Member
Looks like I was sent the wrong power cord ? Unless I am missing something. :confused: :(
I guess I wont be using this thing for awhile :(
Yes I had to buy a UK power cord on Amazon. It's the same type as the old style computer monitors. My sub is going back for a replacement.

Quorra

Yes I had to buy a UK power cord on Amazon. It's the same type as the old style computer monitors. My sub is going back for a replacement.
Why is it going back ?

Quorra

So set it up and ran audyssey. Audyssey set the distance to the sub at 24.3ft which was weird cuz it is only 10.5ft away. Maybe because of the way the speakers are on the sides ? Dunno. Anyways I corrected the distance manually and played some scenes. I think something might be setup wrong because I dont seem to be getting much more bass then when I was running my 1723 towers as large. The sub definitely seems to be working. I did set the PEQ on the back for EQ1 ported before I moved the sub into place and ran audyssey. Going to have to check it out again. It is a major pain to get behind it to look. Really wish the app was available.

Also this is the first sub I have used where I didnt have to do anything to it during Audyssey. With SVS you have to raise or lower the gain until it gets in the 75db range in audyssey.

Will play more with it tomorrow.

DodgeTheViper

Just a couple of things initially.

Dont change those Audyssey sub distance settings, it’s not calculated on physical distance but acoustic distance.
And you knew the App wasn’t available before you made the purchase. It’s sold as Bluetooth compatible much like other things that are sold as firmware upgradeable. A bit like Arcam in a way, you buy a product that isn’t quite complete but people buy it anyway.

Last edited:

Ultrasonic

So set it up and ran audyssey. Audyssey set the distance to the sub at 24.3ft which was weird cuz it is only 10.5ft away. Maybe because of the way the speakers are on the sides ?
The extra delay (apparent distance) is almost certainly due to the DSP in the sub and has nothing to do with where the drivers are. As others have said, don't try to 'correct' this.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
So set it up and ran audyssey. Audyssey set the distance to the sub at 24.3ft which was weird cuz it is only 10.5ft away. Maybe because of the way the speakers are on the sides ? Dunno. Anyways I corrected the distance manually and played some scenes. I think something might be setup wrong because I dont seem to be getting much more bass then when I was running my 1723 towers as large. The sub definitely seems to be working. I did set the PEQ on the back for EQ1 ported before I moved the sub into place and ran audyssey. Going to have to check it out again. It is a major pain to get behind it to look. Really wish the app was available.

Also this is the first sub I have used where I didnt have to do anything to it during Audyssey. With SVS you have to raise or lower the gain until it gets in the 75db range in audyssey.

Will play more with it tomorrow.

audyssey has a tendency of setting the sub level really low. I’ve had to bump mine up by around 6db in the past.

Do you have a UMIK or similar and REW? Without it, your setup is guesswork - audyssey is ok, but it great at getting the time alignment right

What crossover setting do you have?

Like others have said, don’t mess with the distance setting, it won’t be 100% right but it will be a lot closer than you adjusting it back to the actual distance.

dkatwa

Standard Member
Why is it going back ?
Well, there was virtually no sound at all from the sub. I have a smaller REL T3 that was way louder than the S1. I Tried all the settings suggested by Arendal, the manual and even from gasp3621. No luck. It's as if there is no power from the amplifier inside the sub. The dimensions are perfect for the room so I really hope the replacement is working properly. I looked at the REL HT1508 but it was too wide for my requirements. Anyways, will keep you posted when the new sub arrives :)

Nico111

Standard Member
I also increased my sub levels with 5 or 6dB. It quite normal. It’s written in the audyssey set up guides on fora. The audyssey sub distance is also correct.

Quorra

So you guys raised the sub volume in audyssey ? I have to check again but I believe audyssey set the sub level at -5.5 which usually is what my SVS subs were around .. -6 on one and -7 on the other but I would check the gain on the sub instead of in audyssey,

Nico111

Standard Member
Yes that’s correct. I think it was from -5,5 dB tot -0,5dB. This and de crossover are the only things i adjust.
I listen tot my favorit bass heavy song and I adjust de sub levels to my liking.

Quorra

Yes that’s correct. I think it was from -5,5 dB tot -0,5dB. This and de crossover are the only things i adjust.
I listen tot my favorit bass heavy song and I adjust de sub levels to my liking.
Hmm everything I have read over at avsforums they say your trim in your avr should be around -6 or -7. I guess I am just used to SVS where you can increase the gain on the sub itself.

Quorra

For crossovers .. my LCR and surrounds are at 80hz .. I let audyssey handle the top front and rear.
LFE at 120hz

@mb3195 I dont have a umik or rew currently but I plan on getting umik soon

Last edited:

blacksheep99

I would advise you adjust the sub using the options menu which is per source and leave the calibration levels alone. Just my preference but this way you don’t touch what Audyssey set it to other than the crossover which I’d do as you’ve done

concentus7

Hmm everything I have read over at avsforums they say your trim in your avr should be around -6 or -7. I guess I am just used to SVS where you can increase the gain on the sub itself.
You CAN adjust the gain on the sub itself. If the new 2V has the same options as my 1S, the "Levels" section has an "Input Gain" setting with 4 increments: -12dB, -6dB, 0dB and +6db.

Ultrasonic

You CAN adjust the gain on the sub itself. If the new 2V has the same options as my 1S, the "Levels" section has an "Input Gain" setting with 4 increments: -12dB, -6dB, 0dB and +6db.
Are these the only options? That would give much more limited control than a more conventional gain knob.

DodgeTheViper

Are these the only options? That would give much more limited control than a more conventional gain knob.

No, it’s not the only option available within the amp. The gain/output can be adjusted just like any other Sub.
What has been refered to and the possible cause of confusion that people have missed, is ‘input’

Last edited:

mb3195

Distinguished Member
All that money and they are rubbish.

we get it!! You’re happy with your current sub 3. I’m pretty certain that the new ones aren’t rubbish!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...

Latest News

Philips debuts fifth generation P5 Picture Processing Suite
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Philips introduces new 9206 and 8506 LED Android TVs for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips unveils 9636 and 9506 MiniLED TVs
  • By Andy Bassett