Arendal Sound Subwoofers - Owners & Discussion

DodgeTheViper

Pretty much. He needs to keep companies happy so he keeps getting gear.
I thought they did. Not that useful then.

Kronker

I'd honestly wait and see. Numbers are good but I would wait for a head to head if one ever happens.
Or I would buy both and then return the one you dont like.
Yeah... probably the best thing to do. But I have no subwoofers at the moment, starting to get really tired of that :D
I like the performance of the PB-3000 and would buy it in a heartbeat if it wasnt ugly (at least to me).
Might have to live with that if the Arendal doesnt perform though.

Quorra

Yeah... probably the best thing to do. But I have no subwoofers at the moment, starting to get really tired of that :D
I like the performance of the PB-3000 and would buy it in a heartbeat if it wasnt ugly (at least to me).
I had dual pb3000s at one point and they are very powerful in a smallish package. I mean compared to the pb4000. They have a lot of output and because they are small they are very easy to move around etc.

I am subless currently as well and I am waiting to see how the 2V plays out. Because I am in the US after custom fees the 2V will be close to $3k. That is close to JTR territory as well as the higher end PSA and Rythmik offerings.

DodgeTheViper

I am still interested to hear what he has to say since it seems like this will be one of the first reviews of the 2V.
He’ll love it :smashin:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
It´s not quite the level of PB3000 if you compared the Audioholics data to Arendal 2m RMS. The earlier Sub 1.5 was on par with PB2000 basically and this new one is bit more capable under 25hz.

I am still interested to hear what he has to say since it seems like this will be one of the first reviews of the 2V.
He liked the 1V (1961) model so yeah will be very intresting how the 2V compares against PB16U. Did he get two this time? I hope cause every other manufacturer sends two.

Lesmor

Distinguished Member
Pretty much. He needs to keep companies happy so he keeps getting gear.
his gear cost is hardly "sparechange" i lost faith in all reviewers a while back when links generate income
sitting on a chair nodding tells you nothing
its not as if they spend time really getting to know gear its more like a revolving door

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
I recall he wasn't overly impressed with the Sub3 when he had it along with the Arendal monitors for review, he did praise the monitors though. Perhaps why he's first in line to receive the new model as Arendal clearly has something to prove with this new line.

Have I missed it or has Arendal sent them over to Databass.com for test and review?

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
his gear cost is hardly "sparechange" i lost faith in all reviewers a while back when links generate income
sitting on a chair nodding tells you nothing
its not as if they spend time really getting to know gear its more like a revolving door

Yep there's a few of on youtube that seem to be like tv-sales people, some mask it better whilst others don't even try.

Lesmor

Distinguished Member
I recall he wasn't overly impressed with the Sub3 when he had it along with the Arendal monitors for review, he did praise the monitors though. Perhaps why he's first in line to receive the new model as Arendal clearly has something to prove with this new line.

Have I missed it or has Arendal sent them over to Databass.com for test and review?
I don't think he ever had a Sub 3
it would be difficult for any sub to sound bad, his room is akin to a cupboard

sebna

YT needs more reviews like this one:

Have to check what else this guy had reviewed and if they were also of this quality.

Lesmor

Distinguished Member
Hey guys. Do you have any preferred reviewers testing speakers and subwoofers out there? Be it youtube reviewers or magazines.

Any input is helpful.
I would say a lot of people look at "Homecinemachoice" for reviews

It also appears to me that Arendal have decided to use "Sparechange" as a means to break into the US market
my thoughts on him and those who use YouTube to generate income with revolving door reviews have been posted above

the one place that you should definately use and everyone respects when looking for subs is Databass.com

I cant resist trying but as possibly the first owner of Arendal 1723 speakers when they first became available in the UK
and as a former dual Sub 3 owner you could always send me a 2020 1723 2V in satin Black to review against my SVS SB 16 Ultras? :)

Last edited:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hey guys. Do you have any preferred reviewers testing speakers and subwoofers out there? Be it youtube reviewers or magazines.

Any input is helpful.
Audioholics! Josh from Databass used to work for them, but James does the measurements now and has long experience with different brands regarding subwoofers. They do also speaker reviews with measurements. Contacting Gene first would be the way forward. This will give you great coverage for US market in mind! XTZ has been there already, although they didn´t measure speakers, sub only.

With the speakers if you are serious, i would consider ASR contacting Amir (Seattle, US). He has the +100k$ costing Klippel NFS which many big companies doesn´t even have! If the Arendal speakers measure anything like KEF, Genelec, Revel, JBL then you shouldn´t have anything to worry! You wouldn´t be the first company to send speakers there. Amir is electrical engineer and measures everything from amps, dacs, speakers to subwoofers and receivers/processors. The site has become quite popular and it gives different kind of view opposed to subjective reviews which are always full of nice words and butt licking. We all know that you won´t bite the hand that feeds you! Something like What Hifi everyone knows it´s about commercial income and they are just pure joke..

Measurements that you are about to see were performed using the Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). This is a robotic measurement system that analyzes the speaker all around and is able (using advanced mathematics and dual scan) to subtract room reflections (so where I measure it doesn't matter). It also measures the speaker at close distance ("near-field") which sharply reduces the impact of room noise. Both of these factors enable testing in ordinary rooms yet results that can be more accurate than an anechoic chamber. In a nutshell, the measurements show the actual sound coming out of the speaker independent of the room.

Quorra

Databass, Audioholics and there are some reviewers at AVS forums in the subwoofer subforum that are pretty good.