Quantcast

Arendal Sound Subwoofers - Owners & Discussion

sebna

Huh, I thought I was decided on XTZ 12.17 Edge, but somehow I am now looking at and considering current model of sub 1... the room is 5x5m, I am about to put all the gear in.

Speakers are ported (passive radiators) would I be able to integrate sealed sub 1 or am I asking for trouble with 100% movie system?

I know it is Arendal thread but would you say that in my case sub 1 would be worth it over XTZ? Sorry, I am just another noob trying to navigate his way to quality system.

What is tempting with sub 1 is the 10 years warranty, improved SQ (but does it matter with 100% movies that much?).

What worries me is the integration of ported and sealed and the fact that my room is in the attic with not even one wall floor or ceiling being solid (which applies to any sub I will end up with).

Thanks

sebna

I can see that 1s is considered to be great contender especially for 100% movies use like mine. Whichever I choose it would be installed in my other / new system. My current / old system (in my living room) goes probably only to 30hz and even that would be rolled off already so any of the 1s or Sub 1 would be great improvement in terms of low end extension so probably I would value the ultimate SQ (out of the two mentioned) provided by Sub 1 higher rather then even lower extension of 1s.

Would you say that one or the other would be easier to integrate with ported speakers (passive radiators)?

Any comments are welcomed

adam-burnley

Distinguished Member
Huh, I thought I was decided on XTZ 12.17 Edge, but somehow I am now looking at and considering current model of sub 1... the room is 5x5m, I am about to put all the gear in.

Speakers are ported (passive radiators) would I be able to integrate sealed sub 1 or am I asking for trouble with 100% movie system?

I know it is Arendal thread but would you say that in my case sub 1 would be worth it over XTZ? Sorry, I am just another noob trying to navigate his way to quality system.

What is tempting with sub 1 is the 10 years warranty, improved SQ (but does it matter with 100% movies that much?).

What worries me is the integration of ported and sealed and the fact that my room is in the attic with not even one wall floor or ceiling being solid (which applies to any sub I will end up with).

Thanks
Have you looked at the Sub 1v? That will be better than the XTZ I would think.

sebna

Have you looked at the Sub 1v? That will be better than the XTZ I would think.
Too expensive. I would be stretching to Sub 1 already. Do you rate 1v better then sub 1? Or is it the fact that my speakers are ported that you would recommend 1v?

How difficult it is to integrated sealed sub with ported sub? Is it doable?

adam-burnley

Distinguished Member
Too expensive. I would be stretching to Sub 1 already. Do you rate 1v better then sub 1? Or is it the fact that my speakers are ported that you would recommend 1v?

How difficult it is to integrated sealed sub with ported sub? Is it doable?
It all depends on the crossover point of the speakers to the passive radiators.

Even then it's not that much of an issue.

In frank, it makes no difference mixing a ported set of speakers with a ported/sealed sub. It just requires a bit more input in the initial set up.

sebna

It all depends on the crossover point of the speakers to the passive radiators.

Even then it's not that much of an issue.

In frank, it makes no difference mixing a ported set of speakers with a ported/sealed sub. It just requires a bit more input in the initial set up.
That sounds promising :). I am touch with Arendal as well. Lets see what they will advice etc.

Any more advice? Keep it coming lads :)

paulst10

Distinguished Member
That sounds promising :). I am touch with Arendal as well. Lets see what they will advice etc.

Any more advice? Keep it coming lads :)
You can seal the XTZ can't you? Have you tried this? XTZ - SUB 12.17 EDGE - Subwoofers

With the XTZ EQ in ref. mode and the right port blocked (low frequency mode) I doubt a similar spec'd sub will offer much in terms of performance? .. The XTZ has a -3db at 19hz..

sebna

You can seal the XTZ can't you? Have you tried this? XTZ - SUB 12.17 EDGE - Subwoofers

With the XTZ EQ in ref. mode and the right port blocked (low frequency mode) I doubt a similar spec'd sub will offer much in terms of performance? .. The XTZ has a -3db at 19hz..
I read on guy impressions who had them all (XTZ as well) and he rated Arendal as overall winner but I think he had Sub 2 ;) so it is not exactly apples to apples comparison.

I am just exploring all the options.

I tend to never sell stuff I buy. I run it to the ground or just keep it as backup so I like the idea of 10 years warranty on Sub 1 vs 5 on XTZ.

Have you maybe heared both Sub 1 and 12.17 Edge?

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Have you maybe heared both Sub 1 and 12.17 Edge?
No, I've owned a Sub3 though. I was just going by the similar specs, the XTZ has a more powerful amp but a smaller driver, but both have similar +/-3db points at 19 and 20hz. The XTZ has more tuning options though, hence why I asked if you tried it sealed? Personally I'd be trying all available tuning options before considering purchasing something else..

I agree the 10yr warranty is a good selling point though :)

sebna

No, I've owned a Sub3 though. I was just going by the similar specs, the XTZ has a more powerful amp but a smaller driver, but both have similar +/-3db points at 19 and 20hz. The XTZ has more tuning options though, hence why I asked if you tried it sealed? Personally I'd be trying all available tuning options before considering purchasing something else..

I agree the 10yr warranty is a good selling point though :)
I do not own or have XTZ 12.17 edge. It is one of the options I considering to buy.

I narrowed it down to either 12.17 edge or Sub 1.

I like to looks, warranty and supposedly better performance of Sub 1 over 12.17.

I like the price better of XTZ offering.

paulst10

Distinguished Member
I do not own or have XTZ 12.17 edge. It is one of the options I considering to buy.

I narrowed it down to either 12.17 edge or Sub 1.

I like to looks, warranty and supposedly better performance of Sub 1 over 12.17.

I like the price better of XTZ offering.
Sorry, I thought you already had the XTZ. Yes tough decision, I'd probably go for the Sub1 for the looks and the warranty. Once you start getting close to £1k though, for a little extra the PSA will probably offer more bang for buck IMO. But then a couple of BK Monoliths could be had for around that price..

sebna

Sorry, I thought you already had the XTZ. Yes tough decision, I'd probably go for the Sub1 for the looks and the warranty. Once you start getting close to £1k though, for a little extra the PSA will probably offer more bang for buck IMO. But then a couple of BK Monoliths could be had for around that price..
And which model from PSA you had in mind?

paulst10

Distinguished Member
And which model from PSA you had in mind?
The S1510 would be good starting point, has a natural roll off of 12db/po and should give single digit extension in room. There is a newer model out now, the S1512 but you could possibly pick up the 1510 a bit cheaper.. Either a trade in or maybe second hand? Only a 5yr warranty with PSA though and don't look as nice as the Arendal subs..

Gasp3621

But then a couple of BK Monoliths could be had for around that price..
One review compared Sub 1 to Mono. Similar comments has been given in other forums aswell by owners from the Sub 1.

"Compared to the already old, but good standard compared to its’ size, the BK Monolith, the Arendal’s tone is clearly more precise and punchier, but at the same time more lusciously pleasing. Partly the reason for this is the absence of all redundant sounds, such as whiffs and puffs even with challenging material. Where a shelf speaker’s speed runs out when playing Infected Mushroom, the subwoofer is just starting to warm up. Especially in its’ size range its’ tight but dynamic sound impresses."

I had member contacting me while ago as i helped him to pick subwoofer two years ago. He is still very much in love with the Sub 1 he chose in the end. :)

@paulst10 was the poor extension / not enough deep bass the main reason you sold Sub 3? You went with S1811, some other member picked S1510. Dodge with SB16Ultras after PSAs and the fourth guy picked dual PB16Ultras, from Sub 3 all. Still remember.. :laugh:

But if the 1S digs deeper and being slightly smaller & cheaper he could add second in near future and get more headroom with smoother response. Win-win? Tricky call indeed.

Arendal Sub 1 XO bypass, EQ1 (from review):
sub1.jpg

paulst10

Distinguished Member
@paulst10 was the poor extension / not enough deep bass the main reason you sold Sub 3? You went with S1811, some other member picked S1510. Dodge with SB16Ultras after PSAs and the fourth guy picked dual PB16Ultras, from Sub 3 all. Still remember.. :laugh:
Hi, mainly yes, I do like the ULF :devil: The other reason was, they were too big to add a second Sub3. Other than that they are very good subs IMO :)

Ultrasonic

The S1510 would be good starting point, has a natural roll off of 12db/po and should give single digit extension in room. There is a newer model out now, the S1512 but you could possibly pick up the 1510 a bit cheaper.. Either a trade in or maybe second hand? Only a 5yr warranty with PSA though and don't look as nice as the Arendal subs..
As someone who has been keeping an eye out for an S1510 I'll just mention that realistically it's pretty rare these come up for sale.

Ultrasonic

Did Ricky sell his?
Yes. To me :) . (It will hopefully be delivered on Thursday.)

Edit: I fear we're straying off the intended topic of this thread though!

adam-burnley

Distinguished Member
Arendal Sound dont focus their products on the ULF, as pushing into the ultra low stuff does have an impact into the higher end of "bass".

Look at any decent nightclub or concert system, they employ different cabs for different jobs. Infra bass, sub bass, and kick.

Those 3 units cover 25hz up to about 150hz

The reasoning is one cab cant do it all.

Same with subs in home theatre, a sub that digs low will lack in its impulse response, so loses the impact, likewise a sub that can give plenty impact and slam, will loose the low end. It's a fine skill to get a driver to do both. Hence multi driver subs.

Not to mention the system Q design. Most accurate is about 0.5 but in Europe a Q of about 0.7 is used, although not as accurate, it does still hit some depth, and mainly excellent in slam and upper bass 30-80hz.

The sub 1 (1723) is clean and does do excellent performance when placed and set up correctly. The 1s (1961) is a cheaper subwoofer to bridge the gap to the 1723 range. However it does play lower through a new (to Arendal) driver. It cannot hit the same dynamic response as the sub1.

The psa offerings are very good value, but focus on the low end, as they are designed to do. The 15 vs 18, most people prefer the 15 as it at least keeps some of the upper bass, vs the 18 that is all out grunt on the low end.

@D1gita1 will be able to explain more, as he will be able to give more in depth tech knowledge.

Ultrasonic

Same with subs in home theatre, a sub that digs low will lack in its impulse response
Have you seen any particular data that shows this problem? I'm tempted to have a nose on Data-Bass but it would be quicker if you have something specific in mind.

paulst10

Distinguished Member
The psa offerings are very good value, but focus on the low end, as they are designed to do. The 15 vs 18, most people prefer the 15 as it at least keeps some of the upper bass, vs the 18 that is all out grunt on the low end.
The 18's roll off slightly earlier than the 15's, so not sure that's entirely correct ?? The 18's have 4db headroom over the 15's in the 16-100hz area. Either way, this isn't really the thread to discuss it

Gasp3621

Sorry for off-topic, but..

^Tom V. has specifically said that most of the bass in typical blockbuster movie is ~30hz upwards and that is where the PSA products will have more headroom than many other brands. I have never heard that PSA would be concentrated or specialized with deep bass in mind only. :confused: SVS has done that in the past and 4000/16serie probably still beats PSA products under 20hz if comparing individual frequencies (old driver version) and the new SVS 3000 serie doesn`t concentrate on deep bass, quite the opposite actually.

adam-burnley

Distinguished Member
The 18's roll off slightly earlier than the 15's, so not sure that's entirely correct ?? The 18's have 4db headroom over the 15's in the 16-100hz area. Either way, this isn't really the thread to discuss it
Yes the 18 roll off quicker, but due to the mass of air they shift, they still go lower in room, and have energy to dissipate. Hence the 15 have more of the upper. We are talking milliseconds......but that's all it takes to time align a system correctly.

Ultrasonic

Yes the 18 roll off quicker, but due to the mass of air they shift, they still go lower in room, and have energy to dissipate. Hence the 15 have more of the upper. We are talking milliseconds......but that's all it takes to time align a system correctly.
I don't follow you. Could you possibly have another go at explaining your logic here?

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Well that's incorrect also as I've had an s1500 and s1811 in the same location and the s1500 digged deeper.

You'll have to excuse the house curve on the s1811 graph but you can see the earlier roll off quite clearly :)

Attachments