Arendal Sound 1723 Series Speakers

Lots say that they are quite neutral and allow the amp to do its thing perfectly. I find them to be very slightly warmer than the Dali and B&W 702s which is great because I found them to be quite bright and brittle with the AVR850.

The previous best before heading Arendal were the KEF R7 for me. But the 1723 Tower S was another level entirely. Such presence and deft bass handling and a room-filling soaring upper range, without being bright. They aren't too picky about placement, but the Towers do enjoy about 20cm from side and rear walls to breathe.

For music the 1723 Towers and Tower S genuinely don't need a sub.

To summarise the majority of owner's journeys in the past 195 pages:

1) these look great, but I'm worried I can't listen to them before buying
2) ah the 60-day returns policy is very good and gives a safety net in case I don't want them
3) wow, Arendals are unbelievable! No way are they going back.

Those 1723 Tower S look very large, might dominate my living room a little, I bet those need a large room to breathe??

Those 1723 Tower S look very large, might dominate my living room a little, I bet those need a large room to breathe??
Not really, give them 20cm behind and to the side and you'll be fine.

What's your room size?

Thought photos were attached

You’ll be fine moving your side speakers forwards. You’ll actually get better results if you run them in triaxial, they will literally sound like they are filling your whole side wall with sound.

Just in case you guys haven’t seen this, I’ll be hosting a members open day on the 22nd August (COVID notwithstanding)

Hey guys, this is my room. Am I safe putting the surround s just a little bit ahead of where my bookshelf’s are atm? (Aka on the side wall)

I’m concerned if I’ll lose a bit of that Dolby atmos direction due to the tweeter not being angled but similarly I hate the bookshelf always knocking into someone’s head lol.

YEah I shove my sofa closer to the screen sometimes... (a lot of the time) due to not having a projector anymore).

They would be better at the sides. Just try to get them at a right angle to your head or a little behind and not forward of the seating if you can help it.

Not really, give them 20cm behind and to the side and you'll be fine.

What's your room size?

It's about 5m x 5m but in a L shape and the down stairs WC protrudes into the room. The tv is in the L shape and my front speakers are about 6ft apart. Plenty room for the sides and back. I do wonder is the bookshelfs would work better??

It's about 5m x 5m but in a L shape and the down stairs WC protrudes into the room. The tv is in the L shape and my front speakers are about 6ft apart. Plenty room for the sides and back. I do wonder is the bookshelfs would work better??

Can you give us a pic ?

Can you give us a pic ?

Sure...
20200627_230056.jpg

My sofa is on the back wall.

I can’t see the Tower S being any bigger than what you already have in there.

I can’t see the Tower S being any bigger than what you already have in there.

The reason I say that, i think my book shelfs sound better up front?🤔

If you have space for them to be 6ft apart and still have the 20cm clearance I would say you'll be good with the Tower S.

But a picture or floor diagram would be useful as Dodge says.

Edit. Sorry, I'm behind the times, can see you've posted one.

Watching Titanic and these have blown me away throughtout the entire film.

I used to think centre channels you always need to bump it up a few DB. I've done it on most other setups. The arendal centre.. thats not the case.

I used to think centre channels you always need to bump it up a few DB. I've done it on most other setups. The arendal centre.. thats not the case.
And why you don't have to? For me it usually depends on the mix not speakers as such.

In what way better ?

I would say better soundstage/ stereo separation if that makes sense? The bass sounds cleaner and works better with the SVS sub.

In the pic I have dug out my 25 year old jamo classic 8 and jamo classic 200 centre and they have a similar sound to the B&w 603 with a softer sound.

Just not sure if it's the room or the speaker that I'm moaning about or a bit of both??

To see if that space is enough for large speakers. If they have more space around them, they can sound different. Similar to being further away from a speaker can make them sound different also.

To see if that space is enough for large speakers. If they have more space around them, they can sound different. Similar to being further away from a speaker can make them sound different also.

Do generally floorstanders like 1723 Tower S work ok in medium size living rooms?

Not a bit OTT?

Do generally floorstanders like 1723 Tower S work ok in medium size living rooms?

Not a bit OTT?

Absolutely they do work, yes. The Tower S is relatively small in stature. I say that loosely as I understand that they have to fit into the room etc. If you want big scale and impact they should be seriously considered. You will arguably pay more money, much more money for a similar performance. And they don’t have a ‘sound signature’ to speak of.

Just not sure if it's the room or the speaker that I'm moaning about or a bit of both??

My sofa is on the back wall.

I would bet your speakers would sound lot better if they weren´t inside that space. The sidewalls are so close and they are bit too close to front walls too! Also the couch against rear wall is not helping you either. But we can assume you would have picked other type of order if possible.

From 603 manual the recommendation is +0,5meter behind speakers, +0,5meter to side walls.

But I assume also with these spakers that boat still sinks or not?

I would bet your speakers would sound lot better if they weren´t inside that space. The sidewalls are so close and they are bit too close to front walls too! Also the couch against rear wall is not helping you either. But we can assume you would have picked other type of order if possible.

From 603 manual the recommendation is +0,5meter behind speakers, +0,5meter to side walls.

So do you think that's why I'm maybe getting a better performance with a bookshelf speaker??

I'm new to this house as I moved just before xmas.

AV performance is stunning, I'm mostly talking about 2ch music here.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom