Arendal Sound 1723 Series Speakers

Seems to be no love for the 1723 speakers but the subs seem popular
I suppose there could be problems with voice matching with existing surrounds?

You considering selling your KK's mate?

I'm selling my Svs Pc-13 Ultra, and getting a Subwoofer 2 duo. Going to stack them. It's like a KK DXD 12012 on steroids. Just ordered one Subwoofer 2, and will get another for stacking, closer to summer :-D
I have had duostack DXD 12012, and that beast was crazy in my livingroom.

According to Lsound, the Dxd 12012 and the Subwoofer 2 are pretty similar soundwise, but the Subwoofer 2 is more powerfull, better and louder.. It should be to, with it's more powerfull amp, and bigger driver. Time will show ;-)
Let us know how the dual sub2s compare to pc once you've got them up and running please.

Seems to be no love for the 1723 speakers

Different kettle of fish though imho; I bought the Sub2 blind and felt I was relatively safe to do so. Mains and surrounds though? Different scenario entirely. I would expect there to be more talk once the speakers themselves have landed :)

Different kettle of fish though imho; I bought the Sub2 blind and felt I was relatively safe to do so. Mains and surrounds though? Different scenario entirely. I would expect there to be more talk once the speakers themselves have landed :)

With the Sub2, the design behind it, I think most folk in the know are expecting a beefed up KK type sub, which is no bad thing as it had a good reputation and is a decent sub.

The speakers quite frankly look like wolves dressed up as sheep. The size of the bass drivers, the size of the cabinets..there's potentially monster performance available there, which should far surpass the MK and KK variants..but before the reviews hit...it may take a blind leap of faith from some folks to evaluate the potential talent they may possess.

hard to see them competing in the same category as MK/KK though, mainly because they're much bigger speakers. It will be interesting to see how they perform for sure.

I don't think they are competing with the likes of XTZ/KK/MK to be honest, although perhaps the S150 upwards.

hard to see them competing in the same category as MK/KK though, mainly because they're much bigger speakers. It will be interesting to see how they perform for sure.

Agreed, they are pretty large, but to be fair, the finish looks as elegant as it does on the subs. I can't wait to have a listen!

I do wholeheartedly applaud of bigger speakers though so they definitely get a +1 on that score, IMV you really need the scale/dynamics that a pair of 5s can't really deliver.

A pair of 8s seems like a sensible balance between performance and commercial viability.

I don't think they are competing with the likes of XTZ/KK/MK to be honest, although perhaps the S150 upwards.

The MkS150 looks to be a pea shooter in comparison..that's just looking at the drive units and the cabinet size. KK and MK don't have an equivalent specced speaker. Full stop. For that reason, if these produce the goods..the gauntlet is laid down if size isn't an issue but performance and price are.

The MkS150 looks to be a pea shooter in comparison..that's just looking at the drive units and the cabinet size. KK and MK don't have an equivalent specced speaker. Full stop. For that reason, if these produce the goods..the gauntlet is laid down if size isn't an issue but performance and price are.
the S300 is in the ballpark (not on cost but still)

however none these brands produce any meaningful real data to back any of this up so IMV the specs are essentially irrelevant

the S300 is in the ballpark (not on cost but still)

however none these brands produce any meaningful real data to back any of this up so IMV the specs are essentially irrelevant

No data, just the old 'it's what them there studios use', line. Is the S300 6.5 inch drivers? And rrp? Approx £2k a speaker?

No data, just the old 'it's what them there studios use', line. Is the S300 6.5 inch drivers? And rrp? Approx £2k a speaker?
yes I think so

the arendal is clearly much cheaper and can be expected to have a substantial displacement advantage in the 50-200Hz area

the S300 has 3 tweeters in a v short array vs 1 in a pretty shallow waveguide, if the 300 is like the 150 then that operates like a .5 way with 1 rolling in above 4-5kHz so that's 2 vs 1 in a shallow waveguide. Inclined to give the output advantage to the 300 there but really no idea.

the arendal uses a conventional layout so, if the crossover is well executed (they're not idiots so lets assume it is), should have fairly predictable dispersion
the MK does not and I wouldn't be surprised if it is not well behaved (but no data except my own for the 150 so again a massive unknown)

basically there isn't even enough info to be able to do a meaningful comparison on paper :)

yes I think so

the arendal is clearly much cheaper and can be expected to have a substantial displacement advantage in the 50-200Hz area

the S300 has 3 tweeters in a v short array vs 1 in a pretty shallow waveguide, if the 300 is like the 150 then that operates like a .5 way with 1 rolling in above 4-5kHz so that's 2 vs 1 in a shallow waveguide. Inclined to give the output advantage to the 300 there but really no idea.

the arendal uses a conventional layout so, if the crossover is well executed (they're not idiots so lets assume it is), should have fairly predictable dispersion
the MK does not and I wouldn't be surprised if it is not well behaved (but no data except my own for the 150 so again a massive unknown)

basically there isn't even enough info to be able to do a meaningful comparison on paper :)

If it can't be done on paper, then we can start with the ears! :thumbsup:

a crazy, radical idea. It might just catch on. Mind you I'm not sure I can take the hyberbole that results from that approach :D

I'm not talking performance wise - the old KKs are pretty similar to the S150s - but more in terms of size of speaker. The S150s aren't the same size as the Arendals but still very boxy.

I'm not talking performance wise - the old KKs are pretty similar to the S150s - but more in terms of size of speaker. The S150s aren't the same size as the Arendals but still very boxy.

Ah, I see what you mean Matt. Are the monitors due for launch this month or March? I'm sure someone will invest and possibly endorse the thread.

a crazy, radical idea. It might just catch on. Mind you I'm not sure I can take the hyberbole that results from that approach :D

I know what you mean..the usual 'veils being lifted' and the rest of the carry on:p one will have to assess the clarity of the comments when considering the poster...remind me of that next time I tell you 'it sounded as though a veil was miraculously lifted' :)

I believe the March quota is sold out
Mid April for new orders

Thanks Andy..Arendal have obviously inspired some people then. I'm guessing we'll see some smaller enclosures that'll be immersive audio friendly.

The Miller & Kreisel S150s didn't sell on specs or looks - they sold on auditioning :)

I disagree, there will have been auditions, but no speaker sells exclusively on the basis of a demo..marketing plays its part, even if a speaker is 'the choice of Professionals'!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom