Arendal Sound 1723 Series Speakers

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
arendalsound.eu

It looks as though the owners of LSound are releasing their own set of speakers shortly..and they look pretty damn slick.

The 1723 Series consists of:

The 1723 Series Tower
The 1723 Series Monitor
The 1723 Series Centre
The 1723 Series Surround
The 1723 Series Subwoofer 1,2 and 3

Can't comment on the sound, but the build quality looks stunning and the monitors with their dedicated and unique waveguide in combination with twin 8 inch bass drivers look as though they could bring something unique to the table..come in a host of finishes to including black and white in matt and gloss finishes.

The subs use a 13.8inch driver and come in a single driver solution, twin opposed - both sealed and the third option, the Subwoofer 3 comes in a ported design (with bungs by the looks of it) to offer a range of tuning options.

Looks like a 10 year warranty is offered, 5 years on the electronics and a try before you buy option.

I'm quite tempted by multiple subwoofer 1s or a Subwoofer 2, if I manage to move mine on in the classifieds and solve my Atmos/Auro conundrum.

Last edited:
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks a bit like L sound are trying to fill in the void created by the lack of KK speakers availability.

They look nice and priced about the same it will be interesting to hear what they sound like.

Looks a bit like L sound are trying to fill in the void created by the lack of KK speakers availability.

They look nice and priced about the same it will be interesting to hear what they sound like.

Hi Keith, with all due respect to KK..from the spec list, the Arendal Sound options seem to offer that bit more with their products. I'm suprised with the monitors..twin 8 inch drivers and a custom waveguide. Even the subs are using bigger drivers.

If im in the market for a sub shortly..im really thinking of trying multiple sub1s or even the subwoofer 2.

Certainly a beefed up version of the KK, I wonder how efficient they are as to how much amp they will need. No dimensions shown or what efficiency rating although I am guessing they may be 90db+ so may not need that powerful an amp to deliver.

Multiple subs is the way and the more the merrier:)

lots of talk, pretty website, no hard data :thumbsdow

if the engineering is there then, by definition, there is data. If you have data then it is possible to show it in a vaguely comprehensible way. If you don't show it but you do have a shiny website then I will be sceptical until proven otherwise :)

Last edited:
Certainly a beefed up version of the KK, I wonder how efficient they are as to how much amp they will need. No dimensions shown or what efficiency rating although I am guessing they may be 90db+ so may not need that powerful an amp to deliver.

Multiple subs is the way and the more the merrier:)
lots of talk, pretty website, no hard data :thumbsdow

I think the websites just gone live so they may yet post some info related to performance. It'd be a shame if they didn't, everything else looks the part..you'd think they perform to!

I think the websites just gone live so they may yet post some info related to performance. It'd be a shame if they didn't, everything else looks the part..you'd think they perform to!
fair point. To be clear, I'm not saying they are crap as that would be daft. I'm just saying they look nice and the blurb is talking about the right things but it's just blurb without something to back it up.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about - Kvalsvoll Design C1 Center Loudspeaker

Starts by talking the talk but then also walks the walk by providing hard evidence to back up what he's saying :smashin:

fair point. To be clear, I'm not saying they are crap as that would be daft. I'm just saying they look nice and the blurb is talking about the right things but it's just blurb without something to back it up.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about - Kvalsvoll Design C1 Center Loudspeaker

Starts by talking the talk but then also walks the walk by providing hard evidence to back up what he's saying :smashin:

I'm in agreement with you Matt. The link you've posted, although its not a looker, it's spec looks quite decent..and there's a few graphs there to support the blurb.

It's down to Arendal to provide some data to support the spec and the description :thumbsup:

They look very nice, a bit different from the norm.
The subs look very interesting 13.8" drivers dual opposed.
I wonder why they went with ported speakers?

Just read the marketing material and specs on the new dedicated site arendalsound.eu

Speakers looks interesting. Nice that they offer them in black and white in both glossy and matte finish. But why do they insist on dual wire binding posts for satellites... never makes sense to me. For full-range floorstanders, yes, but not satellites. Wouldn't mind hearing these in action!

I'm selling my Svs Pc-13 Ultra, and getting a Subwoofer 2 duo. Going to stack them. It's like a KK DXD 12012 on steroids. Just ordered one Subwoofer 2, and will get another for stacking, closer to summer :-D
I have had duostack DXD 12012, and that beast was crazy in my livingroom.

According to Lsound, the Dxd 12012 and the Subwoofer 2 are pretty similar soundwise, but the Subwoofer 2 is more powerfull, better and louder.. It should be to, with it's more powerfull amp, and bigger driver. Time will show ;-)

I'll probably get a kicking for contributing, but I think it's now apparent why I/we have been so quiet for a couple of years; it's because that is how long it takes to research, design and build and tweak a complete set of clean sheet designs.

I'll clarify some points.

The amp module architecture will be familiar to anybody with KK, but as that technology was developed by the OEM we use, it is theirs, no one elses. Indeed, we are using the most powerful units they have ever produced (and they made them specifically for us) with additional, unique performance/protection monitoring DSP architecture that will enable some interesting features in the future.

This DSP and everything else you see - cabinets, drivers, waveguide, crossovers, even the binding posts and spikes - is completely ground up designed for the 1723 Series cannot be found in anything else. If it looks likes something else, well drivers are round and cabinets are square, so some sort of similarities are inevitable!

Of course, we used our combined extensive experience of products familiar to many round these parts, but less familiar to may may be the fact that we have sold the likes of the real M&K, Epic, Klipsch, Def Tech, etc down the years. Of course we targeted the qualities we liked in these (and many other products) but we also had a free hand to avoid a lot of what we didn't like and indeed do some things better.

For now, I'd better shut up and get that AA status up and running. :)

Russell
They look excellent and I hope you do well with them.

You definitely need AA status, it did the world of good for the XTZ cinema range. If not you might have someone saying they are no better than the MK 950 speaker...;)

What was the idea of going ported than a fully sealed design?

Also are you looking at selling any smaller more compact speakers?

I'll probably get a kicking for contributing, but I think it's now apparent why I/we have been so quiet for a couple of years; it's because that is how long it takes to research, design and build and tweak a complete set of clean sheet designs.

I'll clarify some points.

The amp module architecture will be familiar to anybody with KK, but as that technology was developed by the OEM we use, it is theirs, no one elses. Indeed, we are using the most powerful units they have ever produced (and they made them specifically for us) with additional, unique performance/protection monitoring DSP architecture that will enable some interesting features in the future.

This DSP and everything else you see - cabinets, drivers, waveguide, crossovers, even the binding posts and spikes - is completely ground up designed for the 1723 Series cannot be found in anything else. If it looks likes something else, well drivers are round and cabinets are square, so some sort of similarities are inevitable!

Of course, we used our combined extensive experience of products familiar to many round these parts, but less familiar to may may be the fact that we have sold the likes of the real M&K, Epic, Klipsch, Def Tech, etc down the years. Of course we targeted the qualities we liked in these (and many other products) but we also had a free hand to avoid a lot of what we didn't like and indeed do some things better.

For now, I'd better shut up and get that AA status up and running. :)

Russell

Hah, that does bring me back a few years now, back to that demo day with Jan! It'd make me a very happy chappie to attend the next one and see how these behave.

Also, 46.2kg - what are you trying to do!? That's more than my wife weighs!

Damn, just when I was starting to enjoy just listening to what I have, you have to go and entice me with something spectacular ;)

Sounds like she needs a good feed! On the plus side, she'll struggle to knock one over. ;)

5kg of that (2.5kg in The Monitor) is a foil backed Butyl damping layer, which is pretty standard detail in the DIY speaker world, but curiously absent in the commercial world. Then again, keeping weight down was very low on the list of priorities, whereas a dead cabinet was very high.

You'll be welcome to hear the results, of course. :)

Russell

She's perfectly proportioned, thank you very much...

The foil backed Butyl layer sounds similar to what I ended up using in my DIY subs - what I found was marketed as an after-market car sound-deadening product, but it was easy to cut and apply. I can't really say how much of an obvious difference it made, but the boxes certainly are a heavier and more "dead" to taps/knocks, and given that they don't take up a lot of space I figured it's worth it. So, I guess, thanks for validating my independent choice! :rotfl:

I don't want to draw more responses until you figure out logistics etc, so good luck, and will wait for whenever a demo is available!

Are the 1723 1&2 dual purpose subs for HT and music?

Short answer - Yes

Pedant answer - Good Subs only have only one purpose, accurate reproduction of sound, the source material won't make an iota of difference.

It's a misnomer a sub can be good at one and not the other. It is either a good sub reproducing the whole frequency range sent to it, accurately and with relatively low levels of distortion, or it's a crap sub that fails at one or more of those things.

Of course less than optimal setup can make a dog's dinner of most subs.

I've yet to hear them of course but knowing Jan and Russell, these are going to be very accurate little Beastie's :)

He's too fast for me...

Haha well your comments align.
I take your point (s)

So for my 5mx5m space would a '1' be enough. For music an....

Haha well your comments align.
I take your point (s)

So for my 5mx5m space would a '1' be enough. For music an....
I would be thinking of a 2 if it were me, just for the additional headroom if nothing else.

Can't wait to read user reviews and maybe a dem.......?

A single subwoofer unit is never 'enough' if you ask me.

You stand a chance at significantly better low frequency dispersion and integation with two units. No doubt. Adds to the expense and takes upp more room but worth it by all means. I used to think dual subwoofer advocates overemphasized the importance of this, but I was WRONG...!

Seems to be no love for the 1723 speakers but the subs seem popular
I suppose there could be problems with voice matching with existing surrounds?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom