Arendal Sound 1723 Series Speakers

CableGuy

Hi Folks,

I thought I’d post this here to help anyone that’s looking into Arendal and wants some honest feedback on them.

I’ve had my 1723 Monitor S, 1723 Surround S, and 1961 Bookshelf speakers for a couple of weeks now and, as per the video, am very impressed with them.

Here’s my thoughts:
Any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Dan :)

NM20

Thinking of new speakers for my 2.0 setup and am thinking of 1723 Towers in white. However, as a stop gap, I am thinking of getting a musical sub to complement my Tannoys, something like
the BK Elec XXLS400.

When I do move to the 1723 Towers will the sub become redundant? If so, I will put the money towards the Arendals and buy them sooner.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Thinking of new speakers for my 2.0 setup and am thinking of 1723 Towers in white. However, as a stop gap, I am thinking of getting a musical sub to complement my Tannoys, something like
the BK Elec XXLS400.

When I do move to the 1723 Towers will the sub become redundant? If so, I will put the money towards the Arendals and buy them sooner.

No they won't. The sub will outperform the towers in the low end in 99% of use cases. How big is your room? If you are going single sub, I'd get the biggest sub you can afford.

rccarguy2

the BK Elec XXLS400.

Large floorstanders provide plenty of bass in hifi stereo system. My speakers are similar 32hz response. There isn't much low bass from music and the bass that is your speakers will be fine. As long as you have a decent dedicated amp

It's only for AV you need a sub.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Large floorstanders provide plenty of bass in hifi stereo system. My speakers are similar 32hz response. There isn't much low bass from music and the bass that is your speakers will be fine. As long as you have a decent dedicated amp

It's only for AV you need a sub.

Nah. Depends entirely what you listen to. I have plenty of soundtracks which drop low and the detail and sound lost without a sub is remarkable.

Its genre-specific.

whats your speakers in room response at 32hz?

an optimised subwoofer is going to reproduce those lower frequencies better than a L&R most of the time.

NM20

No they won't. The sub will outperform the towers in the low end in 99% of use cases. How big is your room? If you are going single sub, I'd get the biggest sub you can afford.
The room is 5m x 5m, I can’t have anything too big, it is my wife’s room really…. I think the XLS400 would be the limit on size, I see the SVS SB are smaller, but maybe not as musical.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
The room is 5m x 5m, I can’t have anything too big, it is my wife’s room really…. I think the XLS400 would be the limit on size, I see the SVS SB are smaller, but maybe not as musical.

Its a big room mate. I'd try to go for a bigger sub or even better multiple subs. You'll need the output for films with that room size IMO. See if you can fit a Monolith from BK instead or if you can demo them to compare with the XLS.

If this is for films as well, I think you need output personally or you're going to be lacking a bit of output near higher volumes and impact with the films like Aquaman, Midway etc.

NM20

Its a big room mate. I'd try to go for a bigger sub or even better multiple subs. You'll need the output for films with that room size IMO. See if you can fit a Monolith from BK instead or if you can demo them to compare with the XLS.

If this is for films as well, I think you need output personally or you're going to be lacking a bit of output near higher volumes and impact with the films like Aquaman, Midway etc.
It is purely for music, there is no screen in there and never will be. That is why I want a musical sub. I thought an XLS400 + better towers would be the best way forward.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
It is purely for music, there is no screen in there and never will be. That is why I want a musical sub. I thought an XLS400 + better towers would be the best way forward.

depends what you listen to and volume I guess.. I listen quite loud and listen to some pretty bassy low hitting stuff. Towers and XLS400 will sound wonderful regardless :)

rccarguy2

You'll be fine without a sub in two channel. The arendel go lower than mine by 2hz, and I get plenty of bass.

Get the speakers and if you feel lacking in bass get a sub.

NM20

Thanks both. Mainly listen to DnB, metal, Hip-Hop, RnB and then my wife likes pop.

rccarguy2

One thing you may want to play around with is high pass..for example high pass your speakers at 40hz. Either at low or high level.

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
I have the 1723 towers and music sounds absolutely superb. Very clear but also powerful bass. I like to listen to reggae through them amongst other things and it sounds great. You won’t need a sub for music.

CableGuy

the BK Elec XXLS400.

Hiya,
I’ve not heard the 1723 Towers, I’m afraid, but agree with some of the other comments that it depends what you listen to. I have a very varied taste, from music scores (orchestral) to pop, rock, jazz, all sorts, and like to have my (sympathetically tuned) subs underpinning my left and right speakers. In my case, that’s the 1723 Monitor S.

When I listen to American R&B, such as Usher, Dru Hill, Ruff Endz, Janelle Monae etc., there’s some real deep bass that most speakers just can’t handle. Or, can’t handle at a level to match the song.

I guess it also depends on listening levels.

Maybe just try the towers on their own when you get them, then see what you think. :)

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Thanks both. Mainly listen to DnB, metal, Hip-Hop, RnB and then my wife likes pop.
towers will be more than adequate for just music. Id say they'd be better than towers + 1 substandard sub tbh.

rccarguy2

Hiya,
I’ve not heard the 1723 Towers, I’m afraid, but agree with some of the other comments that it depends what you listen to. I have a very varied taste, from music scores (orchestral) to pop, rock, jazz, all sorts, and like to have my (sympathetically tuned) subs underpinning my left and right speakers. In my case, that’s the 1723 Monitor S.

When I listen to American R&B, such as Usher, Dru Hill, Ruff Endz, Janelle Monae etc., there’s some real deep bass that most speakers just can’t handle. Or, can’t handle at a level to match the song.

I guess it also depends on listening levels.

Maybe just try the towers on their own when you get them, then see what you think. :)

The full fat towers reach 12hz lower than yours. That likely is enough to provide lower bass you are missing and rewiring a sub.

Plus having multiple drivers creates a very dynamic and forceful sound.

My rears go slightly lower than your speakers (and with +/- 2db spec not arendel 3db) and my towards produce a lot more bass and how it is presented.

I can feel the floorboards shake with the towers. The rears don't do that

NM20

Thanks guys. I think the correct approach is towers and then a sub if I feel they are lacking. I think I am feeling the itch to spend as I have just tested +ve and have ten days at home, so want to spend some money…..

rccarguy2

Thanks guys. I think the correct approach is towers and then a sub if I feel they are lacking. I think I am feeling the itch to spend as I have just tested +ve and have ten days at home, so want to spend some money…..

Just make sure you have a good amp I found weedy amps don't have the control of bass of good amps.

NM20

Just make sure you have a good amp I found weedy amps don't have the control of bass of good amps.
Arcam SR250 should be sufficient?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

hip hop, rnb, you need a sub mate imo if ur splashing the cash.

the bass in some of those songs is very heavy with a lot of weight. 2 towers have no guarantee to be able to produce meaningnful output at certain frequencies. listening to stereo with just my 1723S towers and then with the subs (dual monolith 15s & the 4 woofers from the HB if I want it) is a world of difference.

if u were into more poppy type music i could understand but rnb/hip hop is literally sub terrirtory imo.

i'd much rather buy a cheaper power amplifier but have a subwoofer.. than run overspend on amplification but be left sub-less.

pop song - arianda grande break up w/ your girlfriend - the bass is ELECTIRC... disabling the subs, the experience is no where near. another pop song alicia keys try sleeping with a broken heart.. with subs on the thump at the start is visceral.. without subs.. its meh.

It makes more sense to downsize the 1723 towers to 1723Ss and buy a sub or a second sub.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Arcam SR250 should be sufficient?

Arcam SR250 £650, 1723 towers £2899... So you've spent close to £3.5k... and still don't have excellent low end performance. That personally wouldn't sit well with me at all mate.

when spending this much cash, I'd demo the towers with a sub vs towers without. I'm pretty confident what the findings will be.

but each to their own...

Last edited:

goatlips

I can definitely confirm for stereo there is no need for a sub and I have 1723s towers, there have amazing bass output that will nearly pressurise my room and I'm not joking!🤣

And I love my drum & bass music.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I can definitely confirm for stereo there is no need for a sub and I have 1723s towers, there have amazing bass output that will nearly pressurise my room and I'm not joking!🤣

And I love my drum & bass music.

my 1723S in stereo vs my 1723S with dual subs is still a night and day difference bass wise.

the arcam gives me the option to put too all speaker or just to stereo and i can say with confidence for bass heavy songs, the subs are in a different stratosphere of performance. the towers still sound awesome. amazing. better than most stuff ive heard.. but no way better than with subs.

which subs u running ?

goatlips

im shocked. my 1723S in stereo vs my 1723S with dual subs is still a night and day difference bass wise.

the arcam gives me the option to put too all speaker or just to stereo and i can say with confidence for bass heavy songs, the subs are in a different stratosphere of performance. the towers still sound awesome. amazing. better than most stuff ive heard.. but no way better than with subs.

I won't disagree yes with subs it gives the extra bottom end extension but my point is those arendal towers will play those bass notes with ease. Yes you have dual subs so you will notice that, I have a single PB2000 Pro and I kid you you not the arendals are there, not as deep obviously but as others said above definitely more than good enough if you don't have one, and clearly you'll need a good one to keep up with them. I have a good stereo dirac filter and my towers just shine with D&B music and mostly my sub is off.

I guess it's mostly the room here and I have my port plugs out.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 24th November 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Panasonic 2021 TV update brings full 4K resolution with VRR and HFR