Arendal Sound 1723 Series Speakers

Think the new 1961 series would be a better fit for that room..the 1723 just look to big for the room.!
HI Phil, Nice too here from you. I had the PSA MTM-210's in here before these !! :D bigger than 1723.

HI Phil, Nice too here from you. I had the PSA MTM-210's in here before these !! :D bigger than 1723.
Yes I remember ..!
I know you’ve moved on the Arendal..but still look a bit big for your room..!
Which ones are you running 1723 or 1723s?

Last edited:
Horizontal looks better and I’d say it should sound better. Surely the sound will be close to the screen as well. Definitely what I’d go for.

How do they sound to you?
I would say Horizontal just edges it a bit !! as it at ear level with the LR.

1723 monitors LR 1723s C
Ah ok that explains the size then..I’m sure they sound great I personally would gone with s series or 1961, think they would work better in your room.
But as long as your happy then that’s your choice mate..! :)

Last edited:
Alright. I am making the plunge. Going to give these Arendal's a go. Now what to order? So many choices...
1. 1723 or 1723s?
2. For my L & R, do I go with monitors or towers. If I'm running subs, how much, or what exactly am I missing going with monitors over the towers? Losing mid levels? I don't really want to cutover my base so high just to help the monitors out. But if I'm really not missing anything, then maybe I'll give them a try. I like the look of both.
3. Rear speakers. Now I run a 5.2.4 set up, my back two speakers sit behind and off to the side of my listening area. Not right behind me, nor not directly to the left or the right. So I ask, should I go with bookshelves, the surrounds, or monitors? I know Atmos says to use front firing speakers, but not everything is in Atmos. And how bad could Admos sound with the surrounds? I'm really open to all three.
4. Color... It's either black or white satin.

I know you can't help much with issue #4, but let me know your thoughts on 1-3. As always I do appreciate all your input, it has been a huge help so far. Thanks!

I attached my room. I forgot to add my center speaker and 2nd sub into the diagram.

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Alright. I am making the plunge. Going to give these Arendal's a go. Now what to order? So many choices...
1. 1723 or 1723s?
2. For my L & R, do I go with monitors or towers. If I'm running subs, how much, or what exactly am I missing going with monitors over the towers? Losing mid levels? I don't really want to cutover my base so high just to help the monitors out. But if I'm really not missing anything, then maybe I'll give them a try. I like the look of both.
3. Rear speakers. Now I run a 5.2.4 set up, my back two speakers sit behind and off to the side of my listening area. Not right behind me, nor not directly to the left or the right. So I ask, should I go with bookshelves, the surrounds, or monitors? I know Atmos says to use front firing speakers, but not everything is in Atmos. And how bad could Admos sound with the surrounds? I'm really open to all three.
4. Color... It's either black or white satin.

I know you can't help much with issue #4, but let me know your thoughts on 1-3. As always I do appreciate all your input, it has been a huge help so far. Thanks!

My personal advice, based on my own experiences and many discussions with Arendal.

1. If your room is smaller than 5-8M x 8M then go with the 1723S speakers. If its bigger than that, get the 1723 speakers. The key with the speaker is they need a fair distance of 20-30cm from the back wall to sound as best as they can or things can get a bit muddy. The 1723S are already big, so for some smaller rooms, its simply logistically impossible with the 1723 series. I've seen this with my centre. Moving it farther away from the wall is a game changer BUT sadly I am short on space and if I had the bigger centre, it would be very close to the wall.

The 1723S speakers due to their smaller printer are obviously easier to position and toe-in with tight spaces. The 1723 are a beast which need to be tamed. But then again, the 1723S are quite beasty too and can be hard to tame.

Also the £1000 you spend, would probably be better serves as a deposit or advanced saving towards one of the new Arendal subwoofers.

2. I'd go for monitors if you only watch films or towers if you do a mix of films and music.

3. I'd go for surrounds or monitors. I'd go for monitors if you're going to go for monitors instead of towers, because having an entire system built up of the exact same speaker is incredibly cool. I personally went for the surrounds because I've never had a bipole or dipole speaker before and they are indeed fantastic at creating an ambient sound which really envellopes you more than the traditional front firing bookshelf or monitor.

I hope that kind of helped.

I'd personally get either:
1. 1723S Tower, 1723S Centre, 1723S Surround (towers for excellent music and potentially slightly better handling of bass, surrounds for excellent ambient sound, centre for the films)
OR
1. 1723S Monitor, 1723S Centre, 1723S Monitor, (basically five monitors all the same for perfect timbre and speaker matched setup which can all be ran in full range, extremely versatile)

but watching a few films a week I don’t see an issue with
The danger zone for hearing damage isn't defined by the number of exposition primarily but by their individual length. So the number of times such event occurs a week isn't indicative, you need to know for how long each time.

Although I guess movies are less dangerous than music at very high volume, because, like you said, volume is not constant in a movie, whether it's much more constant in (modern) music.

I work in a hospital FYI and am more concerned re: people that wear headphones than those that watch films via speakers. Its one of the reasons I switched from high end headphone audiophile to speakers.

I think speakers are fairly safe in that if it sounds reasonable and not deafening, you're set.

However headphones wise because you're in that closed bubble, you can find yourself increasing the volume to pretty insane numbers, and the drivers are very close to your ears.
Indeed! And with headphones you have to begin with a ambient noise that is already very high (in the street at least), so people tend to use them at very high volume. That's why I love my Bose, although they're quite mediocre hifi headphones, the noise canceling means that I'm beginning at a much lower noise floor.

HI Guys, I have had a move around of my front LCR and was wondering what would be the best way too have the Center speaker ? Photos Below.

Upright :
View attachment 1344714 View attachment 1344715 View attachment 1344718

or Horizontal :

View attachment 1344719 View attachment 1344720 View attachment 1344722

Regards ALLEN

Nice system Allen! Upright vertically is always recommended for such speaker to match L/R. I think the question is more about will you get used to it visually. Rather than down sizing speakers i would consider larger picture over 50" Kuro. It would be dramatic difference for the overall cinema feel, but i understand that not everyone wants screen dropping from ceiling in lounge. :) Kuro was 3k£ tv back in the days, i feel you as i have flagship plasma aswell and they are basically worthless these days.

Last edited:
Thanks @Gasp3621 I would love a 65" but the Pioneer is still going strong and still as a cracking picture for it's age !! it was calibrated in 2011 and I will now keep it until it Dies..... :D

I have a question what is the best sounding in ceiling speakers timber match the arendal 1723 towers and center and surround for 7.2.4 systems in a big room I’m looking into these two speakers which one is the best anyone tried them ?

Paradigm CI Elite E80-A

Osdaudio Black Series 8" Reference R83A

dont look at the price which sound best with arendal 1723 line up ?

You are in the same position as me with my recent 1961 1s Subs order. Arendal gave me tracking info on the friday, DHL did actually pick them up on the monday albeit their info wasnt updated until late monday night, DHL promised delivery on the wednesday but actually delivered on the Thursday first thing.... So my money would be on thursday for you :smashin:

Called DHL, the towers haven't been picked up from Arendal yet... :mad:

Think the new 1961 series would be a better fit for that room..the 1723 just look to big for the room.!

I think it only looks too big because of the full sized 1723 Monitors. The depth is indeed a bit big and difficult to accomdate in the bigger series in UK's smaller sized rooms.

I'm house shopping at the home and honestly can't find in my areas many places with a second lounge/room which is bigger than 5x5-8M.

However Arendal told me the 1723+S models can be equated to 100% quality sound, and the 1961 series is 60% of the sound.

I think it only looks too big because of the full sized 1723 Monitors. The depth is indeed a bit big and difficult to accomdate in the bigger series in UK's smaller sized rooms.

I'm house shopping at the home and honestly can't find in my areas many places with a second lounge/room which is bigger than 5x5-8M.

However Arendal told me the 1723+S models can be equated to 100% quality sound, and the 1961 series is 60% of the sound.
I’m sure they sound amazing that’s not in dispute.
I just feel the full sized 1723 need a bigger room.
I have a 5.30m x 3.5m room and I wouldn’t go near the full sized Arendal’s as they would be to imposing and eat up my room.
However I would consider the 1723 S monitors or 1961.
Think size wise they would work in my room.

I’m sure they sound amazing that’s not in dispute.
I just feel the full sized 1723 need a bigger room.
I have a 5.30m x 3.5m room and I wouldn’t go near the full sized Arendal’s as they would be to imposing and eat up my room.
However I would consider the 1723 S monitors or 1961.
Think size wise they would work in my room.

The 1723s would work incredibly well in your room.

Not sure when @UPTHEOWLS got his arendals, but they may have been before the S were released as they came out around a year after I believe?

The 1723s would work incredibly well in your room.

Not sure when @UPTHEOWLS got his arendals, but they may have been before the S were released as they came out around a year after I believe?

I plan to get a demo just to have a listen.
Over the years I’ve been lucky to enough to hear many different speakers at various price points.
So Arendal is on my to do list, when it’s safe to do so.

I plan to get a demo just to have a listen.
Over the years I’ve been lucky to enough to hear many different speakers at various price points.
So Arendal is on my to do list, when it’s safe to do so.

Feel free to ask if you want a demo mate.

Feel free to ask if you want a demo mate.

Thanks..:)
Yeah I noticed your invite on your build thread..!
I’m quite a distance away, but let’s see what the rest of the year brings..I don’t mind the travel.
Unfortunately I’m in Yorkshire and we’re back into lockdown in some locations.!

Last edited:
Well.... One or two more questions. Are these speakers hard to drive? How do they sound in lower volumes? Do you have to crank them up to get great sound out of them?

I'm so close to pulling the trigger on the 1723 s towers. I figure I can start with them, and if I have to return them I only have to ship one set back. If I love them I can order the rest. So nervous....

Thanks

Well.... One or two more questions. Are these speakers hard to drive? How do they sound in lower volumes? Do you have to crank them up to get great sound out of them?

I'm so close to pulling the trigger on the 1723 s towers. I figure I can start with them, and if I have to return them I only have to ship one set back. If I love them I can order the rest. So nervous....

Thanks

I drive them from my Denon AVR so easy to drive.
They sound great in both volumes.

Thanks
Not hard to drive. I’m using a Denon AVR and some Outlaw monoblocks and they sound great at low volume, due to the WAF I can’t really crank it up too much during the day so very often play at low to mid volumes.

Best thing is when you do need that extra punch or volume during movies or a critical listening session they handle it with ease.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom