Arendal Sound 1723 Series Speakers

DodgeTheViper

The levels I listen at are within comfortable levels.
If I wanted anything different I’d get a Soundbar.

DrH

Thanks mate. I think you are right in all honesty.

Some content like the Last of Us 2 seems to be mastered to be played at reference though.

But yup, listen sensibly is best.

Would this do the job?

That looks the ticket

DrH

The reason for my post on playing loud is because.

The Arendales have Been Designed to have large power handling abilities.
This translates to they can play up to about 114dB with 300W applied.

Reference level being peaks up to 105dB

As they will still sound clear above reference then it is easy to excede the level. Usually your ears will not like distortion or too bright a sound if your speakers are breaking down due to high power, with more modest speakers such as the Kef Q for example.

Just this week I have had Mad Max at reference and loved it.

DodgeTheViper

That‘s much louder than the post you quoted further back were you criticised the volume level.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
My wife works in a hearing clinic, they deal with people who have gone deaf
Believe me you don’t want to damage your ears

The levels that some of you are approaching, listening to with the Arendales are at levels that can damage your hearing permanently.

Put it this way at my place of work we have vibration sytems, essentially a massive speaker driver, where we have to wear ear defenders above 90dB
i would advise that you read up on what can damage your hearing, easy to google. Get an SPL meter and see what levels you are enjoying.

Sorry about the negativity but looking after your ears will mean that when you are an old fart like me you should still be getting great pleasure from your AV

As they will still sound clear above reference then it is easy to excede the level. Usually your ears will not like distortion or too bright a sound if your speakers are breaking down due to high power, with more modest speakers such as the Kef Q for example.

That‘s much louder than the post you quoted further back were you criticised the volume level.
Agree with dodge here, this is one of the most contradictory posts I’ve ever read. Telling people they shouldn’t listen close to reference, then saying how much you enjoyed Mad Max at reference.

Mad Max is one of, if not the highest average volume films mixes released. It is 2 hours of solid ear bashing and abuse.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

I never said I was listening to the speakers above reference. I haven't actually listened to a film at reference on the Arendals (or my KEF Qs).

Given I've calibrated the speakers (similar to how i calibrated the KEF Qs) , the volume at each volume should be fairly similar; just a better soundstage, detail, midrange, bass, highs, lows, etc.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I work in a hospital FYI and am more concerned re: people that wear headphones than those that watch films via speakers. Its one of the reasons I switched from high end headphone audiophile to speakers.

I think speakers are fairly safe in that if it sounds reasonable and not deafening, you're set.

However headphones wise because you're in that closed bubble, you can find yourself increasing the volume to pretty insane numbers, and the drivers are very close to your ears.

DrH

Agree with dodge here, this is one of the most contradictory posts I’ve ever read. Telling people they shouldn’t listen close to reference, then saying how much you enjoyed Mad Max at reference.

Mad Max is one of, if not the highest average volume films mixes released. It is 2 hours of solid ear bashing and abuse.
I never said I was listening to the speakers above reference. I haven't actually listened to a film at reference on the Arendals (or my KEF Qs).

Given I've calibrated the speakers (similar to how i calibrated the KEF Qs) , the volume at each volume should be fairly similar; just a better soundstage, detail, midrange, bass, highs, lows, etc.
if you read my post I did not say a Level at which to listen to. just to be careful that you know what it is. That is why I suggested an SPL meter so that you know what it is.

barnitto

I work in a hospital FYI and am more concerned re: people that wear headphones than those that watch films via speakers. Its one of the reasons I switched from high end headphone audiophile to speakers.

I think speakers are fairly safe in that if it sounds reasonable and not deafening, you're set.

However headphones wise because you're in that closed bubble, you can find yourself increasing the volume to pretty insane numbers, and the drivers are very close to your ears.
100% headphones are dreadful. I have tinnitus from listening to loud music through headphones.

I would also add that tinnitus, not deafness is the one you need to watch for. If you are getting ringing in your ears after watching films (at whatever volume) you need to be careful. You need to give your ears time to recover. Cinema, concerts and night clubs are allowed to play sounds at extreme levels because the exposure of the public is supposed to be infrequent. Regular exposure will cause problems, which is why those that are exposed regularly, such as workers, are supposed to wear hearing protection.

I’m not trying to tell anyone what to do, enjoy yourself, but be careful!

Last edited:

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
if you read my post I did not say a Level at which to listen to. just to be careful that you know what it is. That is why I suggested an SPL meter so that you know what it is.
Thats fair enough, although to be fair I'm assuming thats what my Denon does (aka calibrate the sound to my listening position to ensure its optimal and safe).

100% headphones are dreadful. I have tinnitus from listening to loud music through headphones.

I would also add that tinnitus, not deafness is the one you need to watch for. If you are getting ringing in your ears after watching films (at whatever volume) you need to be careful. You need to give your ears time to recover. Cinema, concerts and night clubs are allowed to play sounds at extreme levels because the exposure of the public is supposed to be infrequent. Regular exposure will cause problems, which is why those that are exposed regularly, such as workers, are supposed to where hearing protection.

I’m not trying to tell anyone what to do, enjoy yourself, but be careful!

Yeah, tinnitus is just a pain in the ass though which we don't know really know why it occurs. My mum who has never listened to any music or films loud suffers greatly from Tinnitus. We've done all the basic imaging of the ear such as MRI and had neurological and ENT opinions but the bottom line is always the same; apart from sinister pathologies of Tinnitus, otherwise it can maybe be induced by chronic exposure to loud noises.. but most of the time its bad luck.

My experience with patients whom have tinnitus and present to clinic are they are middle-aged to older ladies, i.e. not the ones who are going to be blasting the +5db Max Mad Fury Road! :D

LuisV

Standard Member
They might already have shipped. A couple of weeks ago, my 1723s Center order was showing as 'completed' on the website, but I had no shipping notification.

I reached out to support who said they had recently switched couriers and had some glitches with integration. They gave me a tracking number which showed speaker was on its way and actually due to be delivered next day, which was a nice surprise, but would have been unfortunate if I had not asked the questions and not been in when courier arrived.
Progress... Received tracking info on Friday, but DHL hasn't picked them up yet. :(

autreym

Standard Member
DHL can be hit or miss. Sometimes they are super quick, other times they will lose part of your order or have stuff caught up in customs forever, etc.

I found that calling them to complain usually expedited the shipping, it’s a pain because you have to wait on the line 30 mins but both times I tried it they fixed the issues right away

UPS is prob worse, so not sure Arendal has better options

sebna

Thats fair enough, although to be fair I'm assuming thats what my Denon does (aka calibrate the sound to my listening position to ensure its optimal and safe).

Yeah, tinnitus is just a pain in the ass though which we don't know really know why it occurs. My mum who has never listened to any music or films loud suffers greatly from Tinnitus. We've done all the basic imaging of the ear such as MRI and had neurological and ENT opinions but the bottom line is always the same; apart from sinister pathologies of Tinnitus, otherwise it can maybe be induced by chronic exposure to loud noises.. but most of the time its bad luck.

My experience with patients whom have tinnitus and present to clinic are they are middle-aged to older ladies, i.e. not the ones who are going to be blasting the +5db Max Mad Fury Road! :D
Quite a lot of medication can cause permanent T.

LuisV

Standard Member
DHL can be hit or miss. Sometimes they are super quick, other times they will lose part of your order or have stuff caught up in customs forever, etc.

I found that calling them to complain usually expedited the shipping, it’s a pain because you have to wait on the line 30 mins but both times I tried it they fixed the issues right away

UPS is prob worse, so not sure Arendal has better options
Thanks... I dropped a message to Arendal and I'll call DHL today.

Jenz

Progress... Received tracking info on Friday, but DHL hasn't picked them up yet. :(
You are in the same position as me with my recent 1961 1s Subs order. Arendal gave me tracking info on the friday, DHL did actually pick them up on the monday albeit their info wasnt updated until late monday night, DHL promised delivery on the wednesday but actually delivered on the Thursday first thing.... So my money would be on thursday for you :smashin:

mb3195

Distinguished Member
You are in the same position as me with my recent 1961 1s Subs order. Arendal gave me tracking info on the friday, DHL did actually pick them up on the monday albeit their info wasnt updated until late monday night, DHL promised delivery on the wednesday but actually delivered on the Thursday first thing.... So my money would be on thursday for you :smashin:
Hovering around the Arendal speaker thread mate......I wonder if now owning a pair of their subs you could be tempted with their speakers? :rotfl:

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Anyone listened to Hans Zimmer live in prague, specifically the lion king song?

Man the soundstage on the Arendal is insane. They do this REALLY cool panning of a voice from right to left at the start which I didn't think was possible with stereo music.

For the entire song things go left, right, middle left right, clear stereo separation then now.. some voices middle left... its really really cool.

Honestly awesome, check it out!

sebna

I think it is recognised as one of the reference Atmos demo material.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
A couple of times playing TLOU2, its toggled itself to stereo by mistake and it takes me a while to realise. The soundstage the two monsters creates is insane.

UPTHEOWLS

HI Guys, I have had a move around of my front LCR and was wondering what would be the best way too have the Center speaker ? Photos Below.

Upright :
2020-08-02 11.10.57 (2).jpg 2020-08-02 10.45.27 (2).jpg 2020-08-02 09.16.45 (2).jpg

or Horizontal :

2020-08-02 18.13.43.jpg 2020-08-02 18.11.17 (2).jpg 2020-08-02 17.47.09.jpg

Regards ALLEN

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Upright should sound best but just looks awful.:D

UPTHEOWLS

Upright should sound best but just looks awful.:D
Thanks keith, it do's look awful upright !!! any suggestions.... :rolleyes: better stand ?

Phil1975

Distinguished Member
Think the new 1961 series would be a better fit for that room..the 1723 just look to big for the room.!