Arendal 1723 S THX 5.1 Speaker Package Review & Comments

Since when do we use Euros in the UK? Besides which, a price is ordinarily posted at the top of a review on the right, just below the top image. The prices given are only relative to individual constituent parts, yet the review appears to be in relation to a 5.1 package someone would buy as a 5.1 package?

An example of this can be seen here:
View attachment 1003543

XTZ Spirit Series 5.1 Speaker Package Review
The prices of the Arendals are only listed in Euros, which is why I didn't put it at the top.

ooo I could almost afford that, But then I need to buy an amp too, and ideally an OLED etc etc

You really don't need an amp at all to enjoy them. UPS only delivered one of my towers yesterday so i'm just looking at one of them on its own, unconnected. I can't stop smiling. I'm a bit worried what reaction connecting them will have on me

Here’s a cpl of snaps to show the size against a 60” tv. UPS due shortly with the other one

So glad I went for gloss white it looks stunning

Attachments

• D3030000-CCB4-484D-9F9B-803FCA082CE0.jpeg
    D3030000-CCB4-484D-9F9B-803FCA082CE0.jpeg
    814.4 KB · Views: 732
  • B13A9E1D-8A38-4899-90AD-1BCD4945EB71.jpeg
    B13A9E1D-8A38-4899-90AD-1BCD4945EB71.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 678
You really don't need an amp at all to enjoy them. UPS only delivered one of my towers yesterday so i'm just looking at one of them on its own, unconnected. I can't stop smiling. I'm a bit worried what reaction connecting them will have on me

Here’s a cpl of snaps to show the size against a 60” tv. UPS due shortly with the other one

Nice
I have both the Matte black and the Matte white Arendals I imagine the gloss white would be the best look for a contemporary decor

They look proper awesome in white. I prefer white to black but it wouldn’t work in my room.

Look bloody great in yours though :thumbsup:

What amp are you using to drive these are they look like a beast.

What amp are you using to drive these are they look like a beast.
I didn't think to ask but I assumed they are the 1723S small towers if so you can imagine what the full size towers look like
In any case once these have had 50 hrs on them then you will get the full performance that they are capable of

well even the small towers look pretty big. Just wondering If these would be okay on a Denon 4300H. Last think you want is to under power such lovely speakers.

@meagabyte

I have heard these speakers (not the s but its bigger brothers) in different settings and they are a easy load on the amp so no need to buy a 7x1000W amplifier. A good 100W pr channel will drive these to very high performance/levels.
I have a 7x125w and can easy hit reference levels without distortions with X-over to subs at 100hz.

Last edited:
I'm using a Yamaha RX-A1060 currently which Jan at Arendal says is absolutely fine. Not looking to shake the walls just yet, until I move house in a few months time.

Also, worth noting that because you are required to pay in Euros - your normal credit card will likely charge you a 3-4% non sterling fee. Paypal is even more. I got a new barclaycard platinum which had 12 months zero non-sterling fee and also 12 months 0% finance. No import charges or further tax so i paid nothing more than the website price

Standard free delivery is 4-5 business days UPS

Have been saving to upgrade my front stage but these have blown my current list out the water.
However at their price I cant jus tcant justify It and think ill stick with my original plan of going for the KefQs but dam these look good.

Also, worth noting that because you are required to pay in Euros - your normal credit card will likely charge you a 3-4% non sterling fee. Paypal is even more. I got a new barclaycard platinum which had 12 months zero non-sterling fee and also 12 months 0% finance. No import charges or further tax so i paid nothing more than the website price

Standard free delivery is 4-5 business days UPS
No fees with Nationwide or Santander

well even the small towers look pretty big. Just wondering If these would be okay on a Denon 4300H. Last think you want is to under power such lovely speakers.
I've got L/C/R 1723 S and am powering them with a 4300H..i guess more power is always better but im very happy currently. (Mine are the monitors not the towers)

The Arendals are pretty flexible in terms of installation but if you're planning on putting your speakers right up against the wall then you might want to consider the XTZ Cinemas instead.

Thanks Steve, Unless I can find a way to have them sit out a little I shall have to settle for the XTZ Cinema's then (Even though I do love the looks of the Arendals)

Thanks Steve, Unless I can find a way to have them sit out a little I shall have to settle for the XTZ Cinema's then (Even though I do love the looks of the Arendals)

What is it that you’re concerned about ?

I’m not sure you’d lose any more quality than you would with the xtz’s. They’re just a dual design, sealed or ported. Being wall mounted would sacrifice the ported option but that may not matter to you.
The Arendals do have fixing points on the back for attaching brackets.

I’m not sure you’d lose any more quality than you would with the xtz’s. They’re just a dual design, sealed or ported. Being wall mounted would sacrifice the ported option but that may not matter to you.
The Arendals do have fixing points on the back for attaching brackets.

Ah I see, To be honest I've been running a all in one system so the sound will be a big improvement anyway, Just as long as the dialogue isn't muddy or anything. I suppose with these I would have the option to do either which would help for the future when I may end up somewhere with more room.. Things to consider for sure. Thanks

Ah I see, To be honest I've been running a all in one system so the sound will be a big improvement anyway, Just as long as the dialogue isn't muddy or anything. I suppose with these I would have the option to do either which would help for the future when I may end up somewhere with more room.. Things to consider for sure. Thanks

Absolutely. Thinking ahead :smashin:

Own a complete set of AS and now building in the last missing key with Atmos and must say I am still amazed how much value you get from these speakers. Having heard home theatre setup wich cost 10-15 times more and still prefer the sound in my room I know the AS has done some great things. Highly appreciated and recommended!

Atmos.jpg
That looks awesome.

I guess it depends upon the room? White or gloss white wouldn't be the best option in more dedicated cinema rooms due to the reflections you'd get off them. Even the gloss black finish would raise issues around this. The matte finish does however result in the speakers looking rather industrial so not ideally what you'd want if locating them in an everyday sitting room or lounge.

Own a complete set of AS and now building in the last missing key with Atmos and must say I am still amazed how much value you get from these speakers. Having heard home theatre setup wich cost 10-15 times more and still prefer the sound in my room I know the AS has done some great things. Highly appreciated and recommended!

Atmos.jpg

Looking fantastic as always :smashin:

Sorry, being a smart arse, but wrong photo Steve!

The main (group) photo of the review shows the original large speakers not the S versions and the sub in the picture is the Sub 3.

S versions below.

2017_11_Arendal_THX_Ultra_1723S_Slider_1600x1000_5a6a046b-47f5-41d2-8eef-d8f867a5ee7d_1600x.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom