Arendal 1723 S THX 5.1 Speaker Package Review & Comments

mooface

6C7026C0-113B-4A72-B6C2-5390536F35F1.jpeg

1723s towers finally connected and running in. Not ideal positioning but will do for now. My back is hurting today they are rather heavy at 36kg each so tinkering with the positioning was hard work. Not as hard as finding a place to store the gigantic boxes though!

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Sorry, being a smart arse, but wrong photo Steve!

The main (group) photo of the review shows the original large speakers not the S versions and the sub in the picture is the Sub 3.

S versions below.

View attachment 1004090
Yes I know but I was having trouble finding a group image of the 1723 S speakers that didn't have writing all over it.

Diagnosticz

I counted over 20 speaker drivers in that review photo

Timme

So what is the best subwoofer in your opinion? SUB 2 or SB 4000/ SB 13 ultra?

DodgeTheViper

I’ve heard the Arendal Sub 2, SVS SB4000 and the SVS Ultra SB16.

Were they all under the same circumstances ? No.

Would I care to comment on a comparison ? No.

:D

Steve Withers

Reviewer
So what is the best subwoofer in your opinion? SUB 2 or SB 4000/ SB 13 ultra?
I'd probably pick the PB-4000 but I should warn you it's enormous.

Timme

I’ve heard the Arendal Sub 2, SVS SB4000 and the SVS Ultra SB16.

Were they all under the same circumstances ? No.

Would I care to comment on a comparison ? No.

:D
Ok, but which one did you like the most under those circumstances? ☺

SonOfSJ

@Steve Withers I can resist mentioning this no longer. I'm still waiting anxiously for your review of the SVS SB-4000 subwoofer, which I know that you've been refining for a at least a fortnight .......

Timme

DodgeTheViper

Ok, but which one did you like the most under those circumstances? ☺
It would be most unfair to make that preference. I didn’t have the opportunity to listen to all of them under the same circumstances.

Timme

It would be most unfair to make that preference. I didn’t have the opportunity to listen to all of them under the same circumstances.
Ok, fair enough

Steve Withers

Reviewer
@Steve Withers I can resist mentioning this no longer. I'm still waiting anxiously for your review of the SVS SB-4000 subwoofer, which I know that you've been refining for a at least a fortnight .......
I've reviewed the PB-4000 Ken, not the SB-4000.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Ok, nice

What about the seald SVS? Do you like the Arendal more?
I think the SB16 has the edge but they're both excellent and the Sub 2 is about £1,000 cheaper.

SonOfSJ

I've reviewed the PB-4000 Ken, not the SB-4000.
Ah, great, I'm delighted to hear that, Mr Withers. Because if I wanted to buy one (which I am distinctly NOT) I would go for the PB-4000, not the SB-4000. Alas, I have neither the money, nor, more importantly even with a lottery win, the room, for a PB-4000.

But I thought that you had been reviewing the SB-4000 because in podcast number 215, 26th March 2018, in the "Upcoming Reviews" section about 36 minutes 10 seconds into the podcast, I thought that you did say that you would be getting the SB-4000 in for review. You then had a bit of an exchange with Mr Selley about its size and getting it out of the box. Mr Selley knew about the SB-4000 because he had recently reviewed the SB-4000 in the April 2018, number 284, issue of Home Cinema Choice magazine. But the PB-4000 which you have in fact now reviewed is taller, deeper and 50% heavier (69.5 kg compared to 46.4 kg) than the SB-4000 that Mr Selley reviewed. How's your back? :)

SonOfSJ

@Steve Withers I wrote my post #64 above before realising that podcast 217 was available!

Steve Withers

Reviewer
@Steve Withers I wrote my post #64 above before realising that podcast 217 was available!
So hopefully by now you realise that I initially thought I was reviewing the SB-4000 before the enormous PB-4000 turned up.

Timme

So hopefully by now you realise that I initially thought I was reviewing the SB-4000 before the enormous PB-4000 turned up.
Hahaha [emoji28][emoji28]

Philippg

Novice Member
Is it a big difference between the normal and the small speakers? I know the normal ones have 8 woofers instead of 6.5 and are bigger. Are the small one good enough for a big living room? :)

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Is it a big difference between the normal and the small speakers? I know the normal ones have 8 woofers instead of 6.5 and are bigger. Are the small one good enough for a big living room? :)
They're definitely good enough for a big living room. I've got a dedicated home cinema and they still looked large when I'd set them up in there.

mooface

Arendal say they sound exactly the same. The only difference is bass volume.

meagabyte

I had the PB-2000 and it was massive so I can only imagine the size of the PB4k. Must feel like a small car is parked in your living room. This is why I went for the PC options ( and was hoping for a PC-4000 review lol). Maybe one day ill get a bigger room / house and be able to get a Sub3 or such.

JoeSepi

The latest video from AVForums

LG SN11RG Dolby Atmos Soundbar, plus, XBOOM Go PN7 & PL7 Wireless Speaker Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen adds 48-inch OLED to Beovision TV range
  • By Andy Bassett