Arendal 1723 dual Sub1S vs SVS Dual SB3000 any thoughts?

sanjualf

Hi All ,

I am wondering ( still early days) about a possible Subwoofer upgrade. I currently have dual XTZ 12.17 Edges which by the way gives nice output, but thinking about may be going back to sealed and try something different.
My Current living area is 8.6m X 3.25m and a Single Subwoofer does not work here. I used to have a PSA1500 before and my current house dictated duals. I couldn't stretch for another PSA that time hence went fro Two 12.17 which served its purpose.
I have attached a picture of my current layout here. The sub on the right tanks below 35hz but gives good output above that and the sub on the left corner gives good output below 30hz but not much above 50hz , so at their current positions ( came with this positions after playing around with REW for many days) complement each other well as shown in my rudimentary REW graph, it's not the best of REW graphs but you get the picture. The Green line is the combined response which gives me kind of good output till 18-19hz which is to the 12.17's limits

I am leaning towards Dual SVS SB3000's or Dual Arendal's 1723 Sub 1S. Both roughly same price points and getting very good reviews. I can't go for the Arendal 1723 1V as it is too tall and will block my wall hanged Monitor Audio Apex A40 speaker on the right side. I have MA Apex A40's on LCR and MA Silver FX for surrounds.

Price estimate for 2x sb3000 from American audio with their 10% discount will be around £2300.
Arendal sound advertising the 1723 1S as Euro 1299 each but when I add them on the basket strangely it is showing Euro 2147 for both? with free shipping. I wonder if they add customs fee later? Still it would be cheaper than the SB3000. I want to hear thoughts on anyone experienced both Subs. I know SB3000 has got really nice review and SVS were onto a winner with the current 3000 range drivers. Also the fact @DodgeTheViper has kept his SB3000 the longest in the recent times of his multi sub changes means something as well:clap:

I had SB2000 and PSA before and never heard Arendal , so part of me thinks on trying them out (Arendal) of curiosity as well for a change. I am not chasing single digit low end output figures but also didn't want to have a £1000 plus sub nosedive steeply below 20-25, that's why never considered Arendal before with their legacy subs. Thanks for your inputs -Sanjay

Speakerlayout.png

Blue is Right Sub alone, Red is Left sub alone and Green is combined
IMG_4825.JPG
IMG_4826.JPG

Sanjay

kbfern

Distinguished Member
On the price it may be when putting the Arendals in the basket it is less VAT and that will be payable when they are delivered into the UK. THe AA price is inclusive of VAT as they are a UK dealer.

sanjualf

On the price it may be when putting the Arendals in the basket it is less VAT and that will be payable when they are delivered into the UK. THe AA price is inclusive of VAT as they are a UK dealer.
Ah I see, thanks @kbfern , yes it didn't make sense of that Euro 2147 price. when added VAT it is incoming to Euro 2575 which makes sense.
in that case with the £2300 for dual SB3000 with the 10% discount from AA , they are almost same around at £2300 from Arendal's as well. Just wanted thoughts from people who have owned the 1723 1S. I know both subs will be good and hard to fault strikingly similar how closely they are matched from a price point as well.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Intresting move and bit risky, but when it wouldn´t be when buying blind. You are getting more mid-bass output with both models (SVS especially!), but losing some near the port tune of XTZ although i don´t believe this would be issue with duals. I just remember how you felt when you moved from SB2000 to XTZ 12.17. Are you going to be missing the tactile feel of ported subs then.. While the SVS and Arendal extends lower near the single digits is there enough useable output as you don´t have the smallest room? Not a cheap upgrade, but with Arendal you do have the 60day buy&try so you can compare them against XTZs at home. But returning them will cost 10% of total price i think. It`s a shame SVS don´t offer home trial, lucky persons in US...

sanjualf

Yes @Gasp3621 , hoping to gain some mid/upper bass punch and attack with those subs, well that's the idea. not sure how much I may loose over the ported 12.17 Edges' in low 20's in my large living room. Got some upgraditis and some spare change so that's why mind is playing some havoc haha. Part of me also thinking to have that curiosity with Arendal as I have had BK, SVS, PSA before. But then the SB3000 is having fantastic reviews and I am one in the minority who likes their metal grills from the time I had the SB2000
The advantage of the Arendal's is I can try at home while I still have the XTZ's and compare if I miss anything in low end sofa shacking things:hiya: and if I don't like it can return. I wouldn't mind the 10% cost in return all in the name of gaining more wisdom haha.
Shame SVS don't have a trial period here.
Would have loved to have gone for dual 1723 1V instead but as you see from below picture it won't fit under the right Apex40 speaker , it will obstruct and it is touch too wide to fit between the right margin of A40 speaker and between the fireplace surround.
Well once I do the house over in 2-3 years and gain a dedicated loft cinema room then likely will go for a TV18IPAL or two :thumbsup:
IMG_5005.jpg

andrewrona

Standard Member
You could always buy on Amazon and return it if its not to your liking, I think having a phone app for a sub is a must nowadays! I understand Arendal are to introduce this but When ?

Saul Goodman

Distinguished Member
You could always buy on Amazon and return it if its not to your liking, I think having a phone app for a sub is a must nowadays! I understand Arendal are to introduce this but When ?

Why? More of a gimmick imo

Especially if you have a pair and have to EQ them individually.

DodgeTheViper

Why? More of a gimmick imo

Especially if you have a pair and have to EQ them individually.

I can’t recall if you have a miniDSP but if you have, can you imagine only being able to access it from the amp plate !

mb3195

Distinguished Member
I can’t recall if you have a miniDSP but if you have, can you imagine only being able to access it from the amp plate !

but once it’s set up you never have to touch it again.

minidsp is slightly different as you can load bassEQ on to it. But I’ve never touched my main settings once I got them time aligned correctly.

rccarguy2

but once it’s set up you never have to touch it again.

minidsp is slightly different as you can load bassEQ on to it. But I’ve never touched my main settings once I got them time aligned correctly.

Fiddling with subwoofer settings should be against the law.

I've used the svs app control, it's a gimmick. Peq adjustment on the app is useful, but the other features well to only set once, why so you need app control..

Years ago rel brought out subs with it remote control, it's the same useless feature.

DodgeTheViper

So I guess someone needs to get a message to Arendal and tell them not to bother with the App. I bet that will go down really well with new owners.

Ultrasonic

For those who want to be adjusting EQ etc on a sub itself I can see clear value in a phone app. What I struggle with more is how useful EQ on a sub is to most in the first place, and generally I'd have thought EQ applied elsewhere is the better option. Which isn't to say nobody likes the feature as they clearly do :) .

sanjualf

go easy on the app situation guys. Though I don't think it is something that i am looking as a must, the fact that both SB3000 and Arendal 1723 sub1 s have them ( well according to Arendal around april/May time) is definitely a bonus. ie quickly changing settings for music / movie etc or changing different eq settings on the fly. I tend think as an added luxury.
Looking further into CEA measurements both by reading Arendal site for the Sub1S and audioholics review measurement for the SB3000 on their site for RMS 2m ... The SB3000 has on average 3-4db advantage from 40hz onwards and further up ,where as the Arendal Sub1S has around 3ish db advantage in the region below 30hz till 20 hz. Hmmm. But otherwise I am astonished how these two subwoofers look so similar in price, compact size, 13ish inch drivers, with apps, and good articulation in their bass.I am sure I will be happy if I go with either direction.... decisions decisions and I am in no hurry as this is just a possibility from upgraditits to try something new ( well why not) rather than absolute necessity as my current setup does have good impact.

Sanjay

Screenshot 2021-01-24 at 22.12.28.png

DodgeTheViper

From a real world experience, the SB3000 will top the 1S, well it did for me, that’s why I bought them.

Ultrasonic

Elsewhere how ?
AVR for most, miniDSP for me. For the same reason it makes more sense to me for a central unit to control all time delays rather than setting these manually (or with an app) on a sub itself.

I'll shut up now for @sanjualf 🙂.

WozzaB

When I briefly had the SVS PB2000 Pro, apart from the obvious stuff like PEQ's, I found the app useful for it's presets, so I could just tap to night mode in the evening for a more subtle experience for example.

DodgeTheViper

AVR for most, miniDSP for me. For the same reason it makes more sense to me for a central unit to control all time delays rather than setting these manually (or with an app) on a sub itself.

But that’s the whole point, It would be via the AVR for most people.

rccarguy2

Rather film/music modes on the av pre than the sub (which I do)

As for room correction far better to have something like anthem arc where you can set it up, view, and modify from the pc, and far more powerful also.

As for which sub, your room is 1m longer than mine, but I probably have higher ceiling (2.7m) and run a single svs sbu13 but plan to get a second. Sb3000 is slightly inferior to sbu13? As sbu13 is similar.to sb4000.

I'd say need two good sealed box subs or two lesser pb subs ie pb2000

sanjualf

I do my main eq with Anthem's ARC. Messing around with Mini dsp is still a few years away for me I think haha.
Even after the ARC calibration I found the XTZ12.17 edge's parametric eq was useful to me with careful measuring from REW and checking back which definitely filled some gaps. Yes agree it is a once done calibration and I think i wouldn't mind doing it from the back of the amp plate , but I think the preset EQ settings like early roll off EQ2/3 on Arendal's for Music or may be something similar on the SVS may come in handy when you are relaxing in the sofa and wanted to change listing to music from a movie session etc.

sanjualf

From a real world experience, the SB3000 will top the 1S, well it did for me, that’s why I bought them.
But isn't what you had 1961 1S Kev? or was it 1723?
I am still keeping an open mind and do not have strong brand loyalty, has been happy in the past with BK/SVS/PSA and current XTZ.
Do you miss any low end output below 25hz from your dual SB3000 , as you must have experienced better low end from your previous SB16 Ultras and PSA1500's. Or is it the SB3000's mid upper bass punch trumps those previous subs you had?
Sanjay

Last edited:

DodgeTheViper

Ah apologies. When I see 1S I just think of the 1961 1S that I tried, I havn’t heard the 1723 1S unfortunately.

And it’s good to keep that open mind about brands ;)

Last edited:

sanjualf

And to throw another spanner into the play, what about Arendal ported 1961 1V. at maximum height of 54.5cm it would fit under my wall hanged speaker just , and has quite a lot more output than the large driver sealed 1723 1S below 30hz, though above 40-50 hz the sealed 1723 has the advantage.
The 1961 1V is only Euro 999 and for the white version (which can still work in my room) it is CrazyEuro825!
That is still quite a lot of savings of around £800 for the twins if I go for the white 1961 1V over the 1723 1S dual.
If the 1723 1S has clear quality advantage over the 1961 1V then I wound't mind spending the extra £800 . I have emailed Arendal to ask their opinion on these two arendal models how they compare as well.

Ultrasonic

Is there going to be much in it between a 1961 1V and an XTZ 12.17 Edge?

DodgeTheViper

There’s so many good choices of Subs right now that I don’t think there is really a bad choice. I think a lot comes down to how it looks, how it will fit into the space and into the room etc, what the finish is like, the colour, so many variants. I really don’t think there is a bad one about, it’s just making that choice based on our own criteria.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PrimaLuna debuts Evo 300 Hybrid integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern announces AK ZERO1 in ear monitor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
McIntosh launches MI1250 power amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 13th October 2021