1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are zooms over rated for shots if you are only going to display on screen ?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by DJW, Apr 17, 2005.

1. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Putting aside any differences in Lens quality or ability to throw background out of focus easier on a zoom, let me ask the following for discussion.

Scenario : Shots taken will only be viewed on PC monitor / PLASMA, / LCD

Would a shot taken with say a 200 mm Lens with no cropping required (showing at 25% view on screen), produce any better a picture than say a 50mm Lens shot of same scene, which is then cropped to same as previous shot , which manages to feel screen on 100% view (eg. pixel for pixel)

Reason I pondered this was I took some shots yesterday at a Rugby match with only 18-55mm lens. On many occasions I thought how much better a shot I could get with say a 200mm zoom. It was only when I got home & started to crop shots to 25% size etc, that the cropped shot suddenly zoomed to 100% view on monitor & was perfectly sharp etc.

I'll let the maths experts & more seasoned pro's on Digital photography explain which should be better in therory / practice. Could save some dosh for some of us if proven correct ;)

Dave

2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Any scaling done to get the pic onscreen will probably degrade it a little, I know on my setup that if I'm using photophop I have to sometimes zoom in to 100% to make sure everything is ok, at a smaller zoom (like 66% or 25%) I find the image often has jaggies and other artefacts. So I would say that if everything else is equal you'd be better with a crop of a wider shot which is at 100%.

Obviously if you were printing them or using a higher resolution device which allowed them to be shown at 100% the results with the zoom would be better.

3. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Starter for 10 is the assumption that autofocusing & correct exposure will be more refineded on zoom shot, as there is more area in shot for sensor to use. So on flip side, more chance of out of focus & over / under exposed cropped shot from lower mm lens ?

Lets assume both shots have correct focus & exposure for original question :lesson:

4. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My experience exactly :). So if DSLRs progress as fast as other computer components, if we say get to 50 Mega pixels in another 10 years time, would there be any need for an optical zoom at all ? :rolleyes:

5. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What sharp is very subjective. I think most of us lot are very forgiving when it comes to detail ect. I was going to start a thred asking if we we're all too nice to eachother with our comments. Sometimes rather then having a go at what i dont like about a photo, i'll say "nice shot" We all see it all the time, or we say a funny comment, rather then saying what we actually think. But then in other forums they have different sections eos users point and shoot ect.

As to your question, well i spent £1021 on a 16-35 mm toDAY and another £580 on some other lenses, and well jesus i better have more then a CD full of burnt photos to show for it.

Focus is important, you're not going to get a subject in same focus with a 50mm that you get with a 300mm if they are at 300mm range. AlsO very much depends on the lens used. I've used the kit lens for 7 moths now and there is no way it could match a 70-200 L even if that the 18-55 was used on a 1D mk11.

Erm, spent the day in town having a drink, i'll shut up now:laugh:

But yeah, almost any decent camera and lens would be over rated if they never came off screen

6. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Well at least the reason your post makes no sense makes some sense....

Does that make any sense, or has the wine affected my posts as well...?

7. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    i had the 18 - 55 and now have the sigma 70 - 300 and get shots that i wouldnt have managed with the kit lens, even after cropping.

8. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

I caught the part about cheese, after that its all a blur.

Like most of my shots :oops:

9. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I still prefer optical over "electronic" zoom but time constraints and two kids in tow often sees me shooting at 40mm then cropping and interpolating to end up with 80mm like results...the output doesn't match the shot i'd have gotten from a 70-200 at the same focal length... but meets my needs, printed to A4.