Are your overhead Atmos speakers pointing straight down or at the Mlp?

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious to hear what folks are upto - especially those that have their overhead speakers pointing straight down.

I’ve previously had front heights pointing to the mlp and top middles pointing straight down, but am now considering Rear heights pointing at the mlp or inwalls in the ceiling pointing straight down.

Mine are pointing straight down as they’re in-ceiling. However, they do have a pivotal tweeter.

It took some work to get them fitted even though I already had cabling in the ceiling. The cabling though was in the wrong place due to some misadvice. So while it was a bit of work it gives a much cleaner look as I didn’t want speakers on the ceiling.

It took some work to get them fitted even though I already had cabling in the ceiling. The cabling though was in the wrong place due to some misadvice. So while it was a bit of work it gives a much cleaner look as I didn’t want speakers on the ceiling.

I don’t want any of the surrounds/Atmos speakers , showing in the new room.

So if you don’t want any speakers on show, I’m guessing you’ve already picked them ?

So if you don’t want any speakers on show, I’m guessing you’ve already picked them ?

I’m adding to the 11 I already had, the add Ons will be for Atmos duties - my kit has been packed away, buying a new place And will have a dedicated space for all these bits.

My 4 in ceilings have an inbuilt 15deg angled cone so pointing towards MLP, purposely went down this route due to having a lower than normal ceiling at only 2.1m and it works well

My 4 in ceilings have an inbuilt 15deg angled cone so pointing towards MLP, purposely went down this route due to having a lower than normal ceiling at only 2.1m and it works well

I’ll be converting a double garage which has some additional space, but this is one aspect that I’ll have to consider..the height. Their is an inceiling speaker with a fixed angled baffle option, I may have to go down that route.

I didn't have an option as i was building 2 stories at the rear of my bungalow (which sits on a slope) so that was the maximum height i could achieve downstairs. I was initially worried it would adversely affect the room but i needn't have worried

Last edited:
I didn't have an option as i was building 2 stories at the rear of my bungalow (which sits on a slope) so that was the maximum height i could achieve downstairs. I was initially worried it would adversely affect the room but i needn't have worried

Holy smokes, mine will be a bungalow to! I don’t think I want to go down the route of building a room - there’s plenty of space and I guess it’s only building regs, but I went through all that carry on with the council previously where consent was needed.

For in ceiling speakers it's best to have them with drivers that can be aimed at the MLP. Some are adjustable and others have a set angle built in.

Holy smokes, mine will be a bungalow to! I don’t think I want to go down the route of building a room - there’s plenty of space and I guess it’s only building regs, but I went through all that carry on with the council previously where consent was needed.

Is your garage brick built? mine is fully block built including the interior walls with makes it easy to pressurise

Is your garage brick built? mine is fully block built including the interior walls with makes it easy to pressurise

Ive not got the keys yet, it’s brick built on the outside - the walls inside have been plastered so not sure if block or brick. There’s scope to make it bigger if needed as well.

Straight down, don't need to be tilted due to MK's waves, altho I thought that the far front pair might have needed.

Straight down, don't need to be tilted due to MK's waves, altho I thought that the far front pair might have needed.

Fronts heights are pointing at the mlp, it’s the top front and top rear (obviously top mids would’ve be straight over the mlp). The dispersion pattern would allow it to work, but im going to likely test it out.

Any joy with yours yet?

You mean more like a DTS:X deal? Should be fine.

Soon hopefully, not sure if the new lockdown is messing things up.

You mean more like a DTS:X deal? Should be fine.

Soon hopefully, not sure if the new lockdown is messing things up.

Yep, front height and then top fronts, top mids, rear tops and potentially rear heights.

Lockdown isn’t doing anyone any favours.

Yep, front height and then top fronts, top mids, rear tops and potentially rear heights.

Lockdown isn’t doing anyone any favours.

Hmm, I think it'll work well or not at all. This stuff is way to hard to guess until all speakers are firing and you have a good mix and everything dialled in. My general thoughts is DTS:X has lost the battle completely, Atmos was just marketed way better and is the gold standard generally speaking and it won't be long till dolby vision snatches the video title from HDR.

It's all about getting streaming services etc to sign on to your format, people will see the name all the time and then buy the thing when they go shopping for hardware... I mean Dolby Atmos sound bars... fudge off..

Hmm, I think it'll work well or not at all. This stuff is way to hard to guess until all speakers are firing and you have a good mix and everything dialled in. My general thoughts is DTS:X has lost the battle completely, Atmos was just marketed way better and is the gold standard generally speaking and it won't be long till dolby vision snatches the video title from HDR.

It's all about getting streaming services etc to sign on to your format, people will see the name all the time and then buy the thing when they go shopping for hardware... I mean Dolby Atmos sound bars... fudge off..

Both codecs share the majority of speaker postions - it’s only really the overhead top/voice of god which is exclusive to dts x/auro 3d. I’ve no doubt it will work - but a lot of it will come down to the quality of the mix..and if needed, the upmixer.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom