Are you too old to play games?

Ramspeed said:
Hey, I'll toss my........
I'm giggling with excitement....

i bet you are :thumbsup:

Nice to know there is some one here who was school the same time i was :smashin:

Gary

Ramspeed said:
Long live games! And bring on the 360. HD gaming! I shall be buying myself the finest LCD display to enjoy it with. I'm giggling with excitement....

Get a pj instead. The bigger the better!

Tejstar said:
Get a pj instead. The bigger the better!

Cheaper too

I have a 65' DLP rear pro and games on it are very impressive. :smashin:

I'm 41 and have been into video games for as long as I've had the money to buy them. Am I too old for them? Perhaps... But I don't see why I should give them up while I still enjoy them. Besides, men have always had hobbies which - to some - might appear childish; like model railways, stamp collecting and the all time number one... Yes, I meant golf! ;)

To be honest I think that there has always been this thing where some women look down at men who have past times (whether, Golf, football, darts, pool, video games, model railways etc.) and just pass them off as silly childish things and that the men in question should grow up!

The thing is that there is no basis what so ever to call these activities childish? Where is the rule that people have to stop "playing" when they become adults? Playing games and having hobbies keep the mind and in some cases the body active and are a thing to be encouraged not stiffled. Gaming keeps hand eye coordination and reactions sharp and helps to continually develop spatial awareness. It also helps with problem solving skills and instead of the brain just vegititating as we sit and watch TV, it is put to work and exercised in many different ways by playing a game.

CAS FAN said:
To be honest I think that there has always been this thing where some women look down at men who have past times (whether, Golf, football, darts, pool, video games, model railways etc.) and just pass them off as silly childish things and that the men in question should grow up!

The thing is that there is no basis what so ever to call these activities childish? Where is the rule that people have to stop "playing" when they become adults? Playing games and having hobbies keep the mind and in some cases the body active and are a thing to be encouraged not stiffled. Gaming keeps hand eye coordination and reactions sharp and helps to continually develop spatial awareness. It also helps with problem solving skills and instead of the brain just vegititating as we sit and watch TV, it is put to work and exercised in many different ways by playing a game.
Well said that man :clap:

Razor said:
I have a 65' DLP rear pro and games on it are very impressive. :smashin:

:offtopic:

and you still couldn't see how bad Alexander was ;)

should have gone to spec savers :D

Gary

Well i'm 31 and still gaming....waiting for my 6 year old son to give me some competition, he's getting there but he still restarts the race the moment i overtake him on PGR2. He blows me away on disney's skate adventure though. (cant stand those childish games anyway!)

I don't think that humans live long enough for boys to grow up! :thumbsup:

Whatever the next next next next gen console is in forty years time, that is what they will be burying me with!!!!!! :rotfl: :clap:

Might have to turn up the volume as the years go on, eh, what, who said that? :suicide: :boring:

CAS FAN said:

So very true!

Malone said:
65' foot :eek: , do ya mean 65" ;)

Matt

65 foot would be bliss but I might have to loose a wall and a sofa to get that. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

65 inch it is. :D

A girlfriend once said to me that "The only difference between men and boys is the size of their toys" - I'm not sure what she was referring to!

I'm 40 - started playing games in holiday camps from about 8 (electromechanical stuff like pinball etc.) then onto London's growing amusement arcade revolution in the early 80s. I remember Pong when it started the videogame genre (albeit badly!), and I can still remember playing the first Space Invaders game (it was truly amazing at the time). Bought a ZX81 (with wobbly 16KB RAM pack) when I was 16, then BBC Micro, then onto PCs. I trained as an electronics engineer, and I've been a realtime software developer for almost 20 years, and still play games three times/week. I'm sure my early experiences with this emerging technology moulded my career - the last 20 years have been truly incredible.

Kube said:
Its only women that tell us we are big kids. Play on!

My wife has said that I’ll have to grow up and stop playing games when we have kids.I just keep quiet for now as I know I’ll be there with them having a session… :D

Tejstar said:
My wife has said that I’ll have to grow up and stop playing games when we have kids.I just keep quiet for now as I know I’ll be there with them having a session… :D

Mrs D has never said anything about my gaming. it normal, i've played games all my life - its as valid a pastime as TV, movies, dinner parties, polo, dancing, football, or anything else you'd care to mention. Why is thee this persistance with seeing it as a kid toy - kids cant afford our toys!!!

i spent last night with my daughters boyfriend on xbox live playing through the Doom 3 coop game (awesome in 5.1 brown trouser moments everywhere)

Gary

Gary D said:
Mrs D has never said anything about my gaming. it normal, i've played games all my life - its as valid a pastime as TV, movies, dinner parties, polo, dancing, football, or anything else you'd care to mention. Why is thee this persistance with seeing it as a kid toy - kids cant afford our toys!!!

I completely agree. I’m sure the perception of gaming will improve further and as our kids grow up it should become a more accepted pastime. But I suppose in the same vein, I’ve never understood why women ove shopping so much, can’t think of anything more boring… :boring:

I like gaming bot being accepted as much as other media personally

MartinH32 said:
Question:

Are you too old to play games?

I started gaming back when the first 16k Spectrum and VIC20 appeared and I have not given up since. Now with an Xbox and looking forward to the 360 I do sometimes wonder if I am the only 33 year old who plays them.
Please tell me I am not on my own!!!!!

There’s an old saying, that “playing games is not for the young, but playing games keeps us young.”

Garrett said:
There’s an old saying, that “playing games is not for the young, but playing games keeps us young.”

That’s deep dude! :D

So we have established that we are not too old :thumbsup:

BUT! do we get any better at games or do our reactions dwindle? Do we think we are still good and say to the 8yr old son/daughter/whatever when they wipe the floor with us that we "Let" them win?

I personally think I still have it when it comes to gaming.
I dont think most games nowdays are anywhere near as tough as some of the 16bit classics.

I was terrible at games when I started and I am still terrible hence it is proven that age has nothing to do with gaming.

my uncle is in his 50's and he likes to do the old emulation like snes etc.

and as for me ive kinda gone the same route recently, been a console gamer since a little kid and recently turnt pc gamer because the endless possibilties etc. (eg. emulation, more games, old games dont get 'old' and the rest ;) )

I'm still pretty good at games but I was definately more dedicated and probably better when I was younger. I remember having a 9 hour Ghouls & Ghosts session on the Megadrive clocking the game several times - I just wouldn't have the patience now.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom