Are you spoiled by the media you consume?

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Wasn't sure where to put this, as it's kinda home cinema related, in as much as it's about the kit you use, but it's also about the content you watch, so it's kinda TV/Movie related too. So I put it here!

Was talking to a friend today - not someone that overly gives a toss about media formats, HD, etc. They're happy to watch something on their laptop via iPlayer, or just throw on the fairly run of the mill TV and watch Freeview. Anyway, we were talking about TV shows, and this friend said they'd check out my recommendation via YouTube (I didn't recommend watching it on YT; they said they'd look for it there to watch). I replied that I don't often watch anything on YT (other than funny cat videos - saddo!) because I generally don't like watching anything that isn't HD or 5.1 - then stepped back and realised how elitist that makes me sound (but not before an "oooooh, get you" comment from my friend!)

So does anyone else suffer the same thing? Have we spoiled ourselves by consuming the media we do, and actually limit our viewing based on presentation factors?

I constantly see remarks in this forum from people saying they don't watch x channel because it has an on screen logo - and I always thought "how stupid - why miss out on programming you might enjoy just because the channel has a DOG on it" - but then, maybe I'm not too far from that mark by saying the above. Granted, I do often watch stuff in SD/stereo, but usually only the filler stuff on TV, or something I can't get in HD/5.1. However, if it's a movie or TV series I'm really into or want to watch, I'll usually try to get it in HD/5.1, even if it means waiting much longer to see it...

True Romance

Distinguished Member
No I'm with you. For films unless I can watch it in 1080p and preferably with DTS-MA/TrueHD sound track then I won't watch it. Same for TV unless its in HD I tend not to bother. I just put it down to wanting the best possible experience I can get at home after spend ££££'s on AV gear, nothing wrong with that IMO.

k17chy

Distinguished Member
No I'm with you. For films unless I can watch it in 1080p and preferably with DTS-MA/TrueHD sound track then I won't watch it. Same for TV unless its in HD I tend not to bother. I just put it down to wanting the best possible experience I can get at home after spend ££££'s on AV gear, nothing wrong with that IMO.
+1 :smashin:

loz

I never even look to see what is on the SD channels. I might be missing some good programmes perhaps, but if it ain't in HD I wouldn't even be aware it exists, yet alone watch it...

I have Sky World, so there is already more good HD programming than I want to spend all my time watching anyway, so SD doesn't get a look in.

Sold all my DVDs, and only have Blurays.

THE_FORCE

Banned
I just put it down to wanting the best possible experience I can get at home after spend ££££'s on AV gear, nothing wrong with that IMO.
Completely agree.

I'm not as in to Home Cinema - or films in general, as I once was. But there is a part of me that feels that I must use my kit every now and then - even if to justify the cost lol....and to be honest, now that I only buy BDs on a rare occasion and only then for flicks that I really want to see, it makes the whole experience feel even more special.

When I first got my current setup as is, I was paying more attention to analysing the colour temperature, sharpness levels, blah blah blah than I was to concentrating on the subject matter itself! Same with audio - rather than just 'watching' a movie, I would be checking to see if the EQ was okay, if the subs were out of phase blah blah de blah....*insert yawn*

Nowadays, I can happily watch a movie in the bedroom on Sky HD at 720p and not feel 'guilty'.....

BUT -

I will not watch a film on an iPad or PC or phone or whatever.

I still have standards. :D

IronGiant

I don't worry about formats, I'll happily watch in SD and stereo. I prefer to watch the best version available to me but I won't cut off my nose top spite my face if it's not in HD.

jonna

Distinguished Member
Same here, If I fancy watching a certain film HD and surround sound is a must.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Same as IG, I'll watches the best quality I can but I'm not going to miss out on anything just because it's not HD. ALL of my main TV viewing is just SD freeview and don't feel like I'm missing out on much. Films have to be decent quality though or I'd rather not watch it.

HouseTonyStark

my rule of thumb (for pretty much all things) is to always get the best experience for my circumstances/situation. e.g. if I'm on my laptop in bed, then try to get my audio through the speakers, if i can watch on the tv try to get 1080 where possible.

im all about making the best use of what i have where contextually appropriate, and conversely getting the best equipment i can for the situation ill be using it(based on some priorities and cost)

but i will never judge someone or hold myself above any particular thing, i guess its all relative.

loz

I don't worry about formats, I'll happily watch in SD and stereo. I prefer to watch the best version available to me but I won't cut off my nose top spite my face if it's not in HD.

With Sky HD, there is very little that isn't in HD - and even if made in SD originally, still benefits from the higher bitrates and upscaling at source when broadcast on an HD channel.

Sky's HD On Demand and catch up content is also top quality and barely distinguishable from the original.

nacmacfeegle

I'm with IG I like to have best available depending on where I am, or what I am doing.
I'm as happy to stream to an Ipad via plex or listen to high bit rate music on an Ipod, I don't need 1080p and 5.1 in the kitchen, so am happy with plain old stereo and analogue feed, or stream to the kitchen TV via an iphone video adapter. Listening to FLAC in the shower on a mono BT speaker is a bit of a waste of time, but I can do it nevertheless. I even use an old iphone as a portable source for films when I am away from home / offshore etc.
I do not like to watch crappy downloaded material on my big TV, and dislike low quality music on my non-mobile music setups. Almost everything I view or listen to has been encoded by myself, apart from live feeds.
I hate watching or listening to poorly encoded stuff and only rarely access youtube.

I am perhaps spoiled by choice and formats available to me though. Each to their own, for some its about having access to everything regardless, for others, its all about pristine quality, I suspect for most of us, truth be told, its really a mix of both.

I choose the best content available but not at the expense of not seeing something.

I will always wait for a Bluray rip or at least a 720p high bitrate rip. Never bother with cams or screeners or that YIFY crap. However, this won't stop me watching older shows like The Shield that may only be in SD.

I will always choose an HD channel over and SD but will watch SD if there's no HD source.

I pay for Spotify Premium as I appreciate the higher bit rate and don't buy music under 320kbps but I'm not super precious about it and don't have the storage or love of music to go FLAC.

Saldawop

Distinguished Member
Don't bother me. My music is mp3,most of my film and TV viewing is at best DVD quality. Had a (pretty poor) surround sound system that I never really bothered with so I chucked it out, now all audio is from TV speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom