1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you really happy with the picture?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by soup nazi, Dec 7, 2004.

1. soup nazi

soup nazi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you all really happy with the picture quality of lcd or are you secretly disapointed having spent alot of money and then found out about the blurring of fast images and greyish blacks.

2. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    after much tweaking of the various settings (about two weeks worth!), I can honestly say I am now finally happy with the picture quality of my 32GA4E on both Sky+ and DVD. DVD was always great, just took me a while to sus out the right settings for Sky+. Still might invest in one of those DVE discs though, just to see if I'm missing out on anything!

3. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm very happy with my Sharp 32GA3E. I've only really been able to use it with DVDs and download movies, so I don't know what NTL, Sky and regular TV would be like.

I've seen no blurring on fast images, and the blacks are good enough. The only time you really notice the poor blacks is when the entire screen is blank, or at the end of a movie when the credits come on.

4. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Freeview through TiVo via s-video looks grim ... Freeview on it's own via s-video is quite watchable but shows artefacts. Laserdisc (yes I have a laserdisc) via s-video looks pretty damn good and DVD via component video looks great.

Basically - feed it a crap signal and it will look crap ... feed it a good signal and it will look *DAMN* good - simple as that.

Phil

5. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    very happy with it. Not happy with NTL but thats an NTL issue and not the displays fault.

don't have greyish blacks so I can't comment.

can't say I've noticed motion blur either but my eyesight sucks ( which is why I need a big TV ).

6. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have no issues with the blacks - mind you I do have the backlight turned down quite a way.

Only time I've noticed bad motion blur is on horizontally scrolling credits with Freeview as the source via TiVo ... I haven't noticed *ANY* blur at all coming from the Laserdisc, DVD player or HTPC.

Phil

7. patrik_f

patrik_f

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    For daytime viewing the brightness could be better -but then I'm used to a Sony Triniton CRT, which is very good in that respect.

Banding in gradients can at times be annoying. Not sure if it is the display's problem or Freeview and my DVD-player. Treatment of dark scenes could be better. (But MPEG encoding seems generally pretty bad for dark scenes.)

Motion is pretty fluid and I don't see any panel response time related motion blur.

HD over HDMI should be fantastic, but I'm yet to try that out!

I have a Toshiba 32WL48.

8. jimbob19

jimbob19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I'll be honest , the picture quality is not as good as my Toshiba Strata CRT , but I knew it wouldnt be . It will come into its own when fed a decent signal as the others have mentioned. Play DVD or wmvhd through it and it is awesome. The picture quality is much much better than most of the feeds I have seen in all the big electrical retailers. I cant honestly say there is much difference between the picture quality on my sharp and a good plasma (granted plasmas are now almost half the price - but hey thats electronic goods for you) I for one am happy . Now if only they could integrate ffdshow into Windows MCE2005 , that would be the icing on the cake

:)

9. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    This pretty much sums up my experience with my Loewe Xelos SL 32". Unless the room was very dimly lit, which it never is for me, or I had the set next to a CRT, I wouldn't even be aware of the 'black problem'. Freeview can be stunning and, at normal viewing distances, about 9 ft, I have never been disappointed. An I can honestly say that DVD, or Freeview for that matter upscaled to 720p via HDMI/DVI is the best quality picture that I have ever seen, even under close scruitiny. The only blur that I have seen is on a test disc or on fast moving closing titles that would scroll too fast to read anyway. It may not have the cinematic quality that some Plasma's have, but is definately of better quality. If I wanted cinema quality, I would have gone for the Spheros. But it did take a while to setup and im sure I can get it better.

The only bit that I regret is spending an extra £500 on the optional integrated harddisc recorder and t-tv/d-sat. With the current teething problems, it isn't quite as integrated as I would have liked and I haven't yet dipped my toes into non $ky d-sat.

-Ian

10. amrypooins

amrypooins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I wasn't happy with the picture from my Sharp 32GA4E, but I suspected that the problem was my DVD player and cables.
    So I bit the bullet and bought a nice set of QED component cables and a Pioneer DV575 and the difference in PQ is stunning. I couldnt be happier now (well apart from the one stuck pixel I seem to have- but to be honest I can only notice it very rarely and if I am deliberately trying to see it)

11. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    How have you got Freeview upscaled ? Have you a HTPC TV card that upscales or are you feeding a scaler from the digibox ?

Thanks,

Richie.

12. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    My DVD player has a scaler that can handle external sources :)

13. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    What player have you got?

14. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Meridian G98 :smashin:

15. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    :eek: Are there any other DVD players that do this that don't cost the same as a small car ? :)

Richie.

16. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You all mention problems with Freeview, I'm just purchasing a Spheros 37, have any of you guys viewed Sky+ through LCD, whats the picture like then?

17. meme68

meme68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    NTL digi and my GA4E dont seem seem to get on well...constantly playing with settings to avoid motion blur,pixelation on some stations and dark scenes...all despite buying the ixos xht-801 scart(thx for tip richjthorpe-£50 in Richersounds in Smithfield)...im waiting on my denon 1910 with dvi lead and DVE for more calibration..will keep you informed...Satisfaction Rating 7 out of 10

18. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Did the picture clear up anymore with the SCART cable ?

19. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I wouldn't say that we have all mentioned problems with freeview. The Loewe d-tv/d-dat option £250 may be expensive, but it does give very good results. My issue is that I have got use to two digital tuners (Pace Twin), and going back to one tuner integrated in a display that offers PIP and a harddisc recorder is for me a backward step - until my Pace dies.

20. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Gilesm,
    I am using SKY+ into my Sharp 37GA4 and using Scart RGB. The picture is excellent on high bit rate channels such as movies, but you do notice the difference on the more obscure channels. They are watchable but nowhere near as good.

21. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    jimg thanks for that thats what I'd guessed, so are the main channels high bit rates, the bbc, itv, sky and channel 4 channels, discovery etc, with the low ones being men and motors etc etc? Or is it just the films that are high bit rate.

ianh64: yeah seen your posts before about integrated freeview stuff, I chose the spheros without as I've got Sky, can always add it later if I need to, and once they have there stuff sorted. Thanks

Cheers

22. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Not really sure, but I would guess you are fairly close. Certainly the movies, BBC1,BBC2,ITV, etc are OK. I am not sure of the others, I have heard there is a website with this info on it; but where?

23. almara

almara
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I took delivery at the weekend of Sharp LC32GA3E and my initial reaction at the picture quality is serious disappointment - it is nowhere near as good as my old JVC CRT where the picture from the same feed was excellent. I watched the footie last night and the picture was awful (so was the footie) - lots of blurring. I take my TV signal from a NTL digibox and have this connected to the Sharp with a good quality scart. I also have a Toshiba RD-XS32 DVD recorder connected to the Sharp using component video and the TV picture there is just the same - theTosh also takes a feed from the digibox with a good quality scart. Has anyone any ideas other than just continually adjusting the settings until you get close to what you want? Also I've seen calibration discs mentioned - are these purely for DVD playback and/or the technically serious (which I'm not)? If anyone thinks such a disc would help me, can you tell me where I can get one?

24. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  25. almara

almara
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Richie,

Many thanks for that. I'll give these a try and post back.

26. rammyraider

rammyraider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a Sharp 32GA3E about 3 weeks and am very disappointed with the picture quality when watching football on Sky. There is a lot of blurring when the camera is moving and then it sharpens up when the camera stops. Tried all sorts of settings but not much improvement. Generally other channels are fine when there is little camera movement. Is it a case of trial and error or is it more likely to be Scart lead issues etc? New to this so would welcome some advice.

27. Spartacus

Spartacus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well here goes "how to win friends and influence people"

LCD TV's have worse PQ than CRT's and cost lots more.

End of.

They look nicer without a doubt, but at the end of the day if it is picture quality you are after, imo there is only 1 winner.

I have recently pulled out of an LCD purchase and bought a CRT. In 3-4 years I hope to buy an LCD when the technology has caught up.

28. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    depends entirely on what you want to watch. I don't watch any sport. Most stuff I watch is on DVD or better, source so it really makes the LCD shine through. The stupidly high res of my set allows me to take full advantange of some of my material and thus I justify it to myself.

29. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    rammyraider,
    Have you turned on Quickshoot?

30. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    This is quite strange, I went into JL to take a look at a 37GA3E and they also had a 32GD1E next to it. All the planels has football showing through the usual crap feed and crap cables and there was no motion blur at all. The panels were no where near set up correctly either.

Richie.