1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you racist ?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ethics Gradient, Apr 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    BBC news story

the site below has a test thats supposed to test your pychological responses to racial bias .... I am not sure exactly how much credance to put into it, but I gave it ago

"You have completed the Black People-White People IAT.
    The line immediately below this summarizes the results of your task performance.
    Your data suggest little or no automatic preference for White People relative to Black People"

Looks like I am not a racist .... so please bare this inmind when commenting on my posts in future ;)

link to test:

Test

2. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doing the London Marathon in 2:28 shows you must be a racist or am I getting confused :)

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I wouldn't attach any credence to a test such as that one at all...it's so easily manipulated by the input of the person taking the "test",that it is frankly useless.

Obviously it will also have to be said that my remarks regarding results of tests of dubious credibility are no reflection on those undertaking them.

4. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Hmmmm! I must be too racist to take it! It keeps coming up with internal server errors! :D

5. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    the only way to manipulate it is to wait the same period of time before pressing the answer key , giveing yourself chance to work out the correct response everytime in the same time limit.... but even that you can slip up unless you get a solid stop watch and make the time reasonably long

..... but if you did that you already have a damn good idea you that you were biased in the first place.... so theres no point that sort of person doing it in the first place.

6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,330
    Doesn't seem to load for me :confused:. I wonder if it would confirm that I implicitly hate everybody?

7. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
  8. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Your data suggest little or no automatic preference for Black People relative to White People

Does that mean that test says i'm not too keen on black people or i'm a neutral :confused:

I thought i was neutral myself :rolleyes:

9. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +632
    I think there is a little bit of racism in everyone. Might be a very small bit, but its there (thats if most people are honest).

10. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Not just a little, its subconcious and instinctive behaviour ... it usually takes a considerable effort to over come / overide those instictive behaviors ... education, experience, cultural travel and exposure .... but there is usually some trace of it left underneath regardless.

.... but that is different from overt racism, that being of holding specific 'beliefs' that certain people are inferior, more likely to commit crimes, or are to be feared etc.

11. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +632
    Yes I agree with you.

Glad you understood what I am trying to say. I was afraid that there would be loads of posts from people saying 'Im not a racist - how dare you'.

12. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    My point is not just that anyone with a modicum of sense could easily manipulate it,but the fact that as such it is inherently flawed....as to someone with bias being screened by tests like this....I think the comments given by a clinical psychologist,and others who rightly argue that this test has more to do with hand/eye co-ordination than anything else,are much more valid.

13. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,967
    Hmmmm

Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for White People relative to Black People

Needless to say I don't agree with that result.

But hey - at least I've been brave & honest enough to post it.

14. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    mine said that too, i got a few wrong on the last one but i think it has more to do with a lack of dexterity than racism, and 2 of the 3 involved putting a word on the wrong side which i can't imagine shows any racism.

15. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,660
    Personally I think everyone is racist to a degree. It's coupled with fear of the unknown. It's human nature and we're fools to deny it. And the more you battle against it to act 'unracist' in your life, the better person you are.
    I closed that test in disgust because I felt very uncomfortable with a screen that asked me to choose 'White or Good' on one side and 'Black or Bad' on the other. I think the test itself is racist.

16. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,468
    they could have used dogs and cats, instead of blacks and whites, its all hand-to-eye coordination, and how good your brain is.

17. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

I think that's just what it is, they swap it round and you have to think a little before you choose knowing they're now the other way round.

18. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

The test doesn't load-up for me, from any of the supplied links.

To be honest, though, as Stuart Wright said, the test itself is probably very suspect, as you have no idea how skewed the questions are.

Choosing between white as good, and black as bad, is suspect in iteself, even though this occurs in so many films, (numerous Westerns, "Aliens", etc), games, (Chess, Draughts, et al) etc, that we take it as a given. Having said that, I'd certainly be interested for curiosity's sake, to take the test.

Everyone is prejudiced, to a certain degree. I don't know if that's the same as, or different to, labelling everyone as being racist though. For me, that's a bit of a tricky definition to differentiate between the two.

Pooch

19. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  20. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    TBH these tests are a bit stupid.

21. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +632
    This thread reminds me of the debate a few months back after the issuing of an English FA DVD, and how the people who campaign against racism sometimes display racist tendancies themselves.

For those who don't remember it, the FA released a DVD of the Top20 greatest English footballers of all time. I am sure that they sat down and debated who should and shouldn't be in the final DVD honestly.

It was released to market. Then a person (can't remember who exactly) complained that it had no black players on it. So what did the FA do - they withdrew the DVD !! Why??

As I said, they weren't acting racist when they chose the list of players. They just honestly picked the best 20 who they thought should be on the list. The fact that black players only appeared in the late 70s and were vastly outnumbered in terms of players being capped by England was not taken into account by the campaigner. Just wanting a black player or two in the DVD for the sake of it was being racist itself !!

Its PC gone mad if you ask me.

As Billy Connolly says, 'the only people that you can slag off now, without having people marching in the streets the next morning, is white heterosexual men'. Quite true.

22. gazzarooni

gazzarooni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    iits starts off with black & bad, then when you start getting used to it,it goes on to white & bad then because i was faster pushing the white and bad key ,i am supposedly moderately prefer white people :confused:QUOTE=Stuart Wright;1621643]Personally I think everyone is racist to a degree. It's coupled with fear of the unknown. It's human nature and we're fools to deny it. And the more you battle against it to act 'unracist' in your life, the better person you are.
    I closed that test in disgust because I felt very uncomfortable with a screen that asked me to choose 'White or Good' on one side and 'Black or Bad' on the other. I think the test itself is racist.[/QUOTE]

23. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    that test is stupid. If anything it's trying to make out your a racist. Putting positive words with white faces and negative words with black faces.

24. wellladida

wellladida

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    same here though no ones gonna come knocking because i clicked a racist answer but couldnt help feeling uncomfortable answering questions like that

25. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I hate everyone, equally, so that covers all bases.

26. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93

Agreed absolutely, but fear of the unknown is an entirely legitimate response and not racist at all.

The problem is that the racist industry has conflated genuine everyday caution and concern with differences in skin colour, ethnic origin and culture.

Everyday cut and thrust between individuals, even if it arises from racial, ethnic or cultural differences is not or should not be racism. Words alone should not be grounds for complaint by anyone. They should be regarded as a private matter of bad manners only.

The situation is different if the racial, ethnic or cultural differences are used
    to justify damage to the financial or physical well being of the victim i. e. something measurable and concrete rather than just hurt feelings.

It is important to separate subjective offence from actual harm. Of course really severe verbal abuse could be regarded as racism but only if taken to extremes and combined with a situation where financial or physical harm would reasonably be expected.

Most alleged racism that I see falls well short of actual physical or financial harm and that confusion lies at the heart of the issue.

The fact is that complaints of racism are often expressions of racism in the person complaining unless physical or financial harm can be demonstrated.

Quite often the complainer goes to bizarre lengths to try and show financial or physical harm to legitimise their own racism.

Being half Jewish in a Christian milieu I've lost count of the number of times I have been regarded as in some way responsible for the actions of Israel with which I have no affinity at all. I've probably been unknowingly subject to discrimination many times but, frankly, you only get respect if you can rise above the fears and prejudices of others and once you get respect all the differences melt away.

We must all stop lining the pockets of a money motivated race based grievance industry but the fear of taking it on is a deterrent to most.

27. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,848
    About as accurate as this test ;)

[youtube]LLWWFU7r2K0[/youtube]

28. eric pisch

eric pisch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +755
    LMAO :rotfl:

29. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,948
    For one moment I thought Seany was back on the forums, but then I noticed this was originally posted about 3 years ago :eek:

30. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,490
    Yes, remember it well. And also a great episode from a great series :thumbsup:

Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.