"Are you looking forward to it?"

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dancook, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Dancook

Dancook
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,816
    How do people interpret the question "Are you looking forward to it?".

When I was a child I would count down the days to Christmas or my birthday - I'd get excited and often not be able to sleep the day before. I would say I was looking forward to these events.

Now as I am older, I'm asked "Are you looking forward to it?" and my response seems somewhat negative in comparison.

I'm going to see some friends tomorrow, and whilst I will enjoy their company and will likely have a good day - it is not an event which has crossed my mind more than the planning involved.

So how could I say I was 'looking forward' to it if I haven't actually given it that much thought?

I've considered when being asked the question, I should be given a few minutes to consider the event and how I feel emotionally about it before I respond - but this doesn't really seem socially acceptable.

---
    To simplify/explain the situation...

Her
    "Are you looking forward to seeing your friends tomorrow?"
    Me
    "No"

That seems to come out wrong - but it's how I interpret the question. The thought of seeing my friends hasn't been on my mind, so I wasn't looking forward to it. However I will enjoy it when it comes....

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  2. technoman28

technoman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +448
    Suppose it could be thought of as "are you likely to enjoy it" as in the actual event, to which the reply would be, (as in your post), yes. Whether you have thought about it or not, if you are likely to enjoy it, then I would say the answer would be yes.

ps. Have you been partaking of "signs" single malt? Seems a very philisophical question for a Wednesday morning!:D