Are you having Problems Playing CDR Discs?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by -, May 9, 2001.

1. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many dvd players can't see CD-R discs due to the different laser frequency that DVD uses

Princo discs are one of the few makes that play on most DVD Players (inc Sony)

I have been trying to find Princo discs fro ages (I know staples sold them but I have no Staples store near me) but I have 2 Maplins stores that I can check out (I have not seen them in there before)

Shame my damn CD Writer has died, anyway I now have an excuse to buy a fast CD Writer (it's a pain waiting for a 2x CD Writer to burn a disc and in the end create a coaster)

2. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've got a Pioneer 626D which plays all CD-R discs just fine, but my other Toshiba player doesent.

At the weekend I bought some Princo CD's from Maplin because they were cheap. When i tried them in my Toshiba DVD Player (Usually Refuses to Play all CD-R's) they worked great. No problems what so ever.

Maplin are selling them for £15 for 50 CD's. They come on 5 seperate spindals. Just thought i would tell this to people to who cant play CD-R. These work great on all DVD Players i tried and there dead cheap! :) I never intended for them to work, only bought them because they were cheap. It seems they are very good quality discs :)

3. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought a new Plextor 12/10/32 SCSI back in October. I've burned loads of discs and NEVER made a coaster. Its got a "Burn Proof" which can stop and restart recording from where it left off if anything goes wrong.

You can get the Plextor 12/10/32 IDE from DABS. I think its about £150. It burns a Full CD in about 6 minutes. The 16x Burner is out now also, but a little more expensive. At a difference of a minute of burning i dont think its really worth it. get the 12 speed.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been looking in to the Plextor now that me 2x drive seems to be dead, most proberly go for the 16x version,

(the 2x drive took over 35 minutes to burn a disc)

5. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "These work great on all DVD Players i tried and there dead cheap! "

THEY DON'T work a Sony CX850D!!!!

Do not assume they work on everything.

6. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    does the words "All DVD Player I TRIED!!!!" mean anything!! Make sure you read properly next time........LOL

Only joking!

7. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your post gave the impression the work on anything and that you have tried many machines, the following post gave the impression they work on all Sony machines.

Reading these posts together ended up with me spending £16 (in my book £15.99 is not £15) an a bunch of discs that do not do what the first 2 posts suggest and £16 is not a bargain if the disc don't work.

Then because I take the bother to make sure someone else does not waste their money after reading these inaccurate posts you get the hump? Maybe you could have listed the machines you have tried them on to help us.

They may work on some DVDs that normally do not read CDRs, for all I know they may even work on some Sony DVDs, but they do not work on mine.

8. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Anyone happen to know if these work on Panasonic players?

Im using r-w at the moment, which is a bit frustrating (only record at 2x and they are more expensive)!

Cheers,

Paul.

9. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I cant find the product in Maplin. Does anyone have the product code number? Im gonna give em a go....

Cheers!

Paul.

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Princo discs at Maplins have now gone back up to £25.

11. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yea ! :(

CD-R Prices are going to go up by 3x by July. So stock up on CD-R's. Some places have already raised their prices.

STOCK UP NOW!!!!!!

12. ISCM

ISCM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So now we will have to buy CDR's from the USA!! :mad:

13. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Garath do you work or earn money from either the sale or manufacture of CDRs or related items?

14. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No, i would never sell anything. I play a lot of music and make compilations. I also watch the odd Video CD of the non Hollywood business, but dont we all.

100 CD's is enough to last me a year or two and thats what i have done. 100 CDr's

15. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ISCM - Just to point out, that even in the US and Europe they have also gone up in Price :-( but by the time i have to buy more, they should have come down in Price.

[ 22-05-2001: Message edited by: GarethH ]

16. ISCM

ISCM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GarethH, Amazon have 50 Memorex for $20 plus postage and another brand for $15, so if the prices go up too much in the UK we have a choice. :cool:

17. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    ..but does anyone have the code number for these Princo discs please?

Cheers!

Paul

18. torimusic

torimusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an Onkyo DV-S535 which also is not supposed to read CD-R or CD-RW. It does however read Verbatim and Dysan CD-RW. Maybe the dye used on most CD-RW disks is that certain colour that the DVD player happens to reflect correctly by chance.
    I don't know if Onkyo is aware of the fact that this model player of theirs can read certain recordable disks. I think I will query that with them.

19. Leeray3

Leeray3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to let you know that Princo discs do not work on the Sony DVPS735D :mad: