Are you happy with the TVDrive?

How do you rate the TVDrive?

• Other, please specify

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

warrej

Novice Member
There have been quite a few threads recently which have reported major problems with the TVDrive. Whilst I feel sorry for those concerned, I've not had any major problems with mine since it was installed in May. In fact I would go so far as to say I think it is a fantastic piece of kit!

I thought it would be useful to have a poll to see what level of satisfaction there is with the TVDrive amongst our community, as I imagine those with little or no problems probably don't post that often.

p.s. I would prefer if the 4:3 issue was not taken into account in this poll, as we know a "fix" is being worked on, and it isn't technically a problem with the TVDrive. Also, the fact that channels don't transmit 16:9 material in widescreen format is a disgrace, and is also not a problem with the TVDrive!!

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
Thumbs up :smashin:

But do expect a few thumbs down because it doesn't degrade the image in such a way as to disguise badly formatted broadcasts. Which is all the fault of TVDrive of course and not non-stretching TVs and 'behind the times' channels :suicide:

warrej

Novice Member
KevinPedrick said:
Thumbs up :smashin:

But do expect a few thumbs down because it doesn't degrade the image in such a way as to disguise badly formatted broadcasts. Which is all the fault of TVDrive of course and not non-stretching TVs and 'behind the times' channels :suicide:
:thumbsup:

I'd meant to add a PS to the post, so will do it now. I would prefer if the 4:3 issue was not taken into account in this poll, as we know a "fix" is being worked on, and it isn't technically a problem with the TVDrive. Also, the fact that channels don't transmit 16:9 material in widescreen format is a disgrace, and is also not a problem with the TVDrive!!

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
I voted "poor".
The box is ridiculously clunky, IMO.
The fact that you can wait seconds for something to happen after pressing a button is extremely annoying.
Several lock-ups and re-boots means we are running a beta programme for Telewest, I reckon.
The fact that I'm tied to it for 12 months is really doing my head in.
That, and the fact that there is practically zero HD content, means I'll be back to SKY ASAP.
Two words spring to mind for me, "Mis-sold" and "misrepresentation".
And the fact I'm paying a tenner a month for it, well :mad:

For anyone who says "ah, but you've got recording, etc", I never wanted it.
I never had a sky+ box, just normal sky.
I mainly wanted HD and Dolby, neither of which I'm getting. I've watched Beeb's preview about 30 times.
Sorry, I'm digressing from the main question, but it's all related, in that the whole package is awful. Some content would possibly negate some of my views, ie if I actually got what most people signed up for, I could live with some of the faults more easily.

WGLOVER

I voted good. Will vote excellent when they sort out the VCR output.

Had very few problems, and those I had were very minor.

stammie

Novice Member
If there was a section to vote average that's the one I'd go for.
My box got worse after the last code drop and I'd agree with Badger0-0 its gotten quite clunky,
misrepresentation doesn't seem far from the truth either, Telewest heralded it as the UK's first HD platform and the HD content is if I'm being polite very limited,
also I'm becoming increasingly fed up that I pay for Sky Movies and can virtually never watch Sky Movies 9 and 10 because it just stays on the welcome screen, neither asking for a pin or switching over to the movie, plus the red button interactive services virtually never work.
Prior to the last code drop a reset would sort these two problems out for a few hours but not anymore,
I've had the box over 5 months now and Telewest seem unable or unwilling to fix these and numerous other problems others are experiencing.
Misrepresentation is an argument I'll be using when I cancel and go to Sky, if that fails then I'll cancel all my services and just go on the most basic package possible until the contract runs out,
whilst I don't expect a company the size of Telewest will miss the £100 a month I pay them it will make me feel better.

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
The HD content is probably an issue since you need TVDrive to watch but the Sky Movies 9 and 10 issue is probably a Telewest issue rather than a TVDrive issue. Dunno if that should be considered a factor in this poll or not :confused:

KableMan

If average was an option I'd have voted for it. I'm now on my third box, have lost count of the fail recordings, phantom recordings and re-formats i've had to do and I can still get the block box/No Live TV lock up on a whim, series record let me down completely while I was on Holiday the other week and I've had tuners fail and still also get recordings that never happen.

As a PVR it is decidedly average to poor in my opinion speaking as former Topfield Freeview PVR owner.

The HD content is severly limited - I'm disappointed that more of the BBC stuff hasn't made its way onto BBC World to save me using up the pitfully small HDD with HD recordings.

But the PQ is largely awsome even on SD (barring ITV which is mostly perthetic) via HDMI and the HD is superb when we get it.

So I actually voted Good as for me even with all the bugs Telewest have been pretty good on the CS front and have refunded me every single TVDrive payment I've made (and will continue to do so until it is fixed), plus I've had my line rental refunded two a couple of times and I've been given a free broadband upgrade for 12 months.

So while I'd prefer the TVDrive to get fixed I don't want to pay Sky £300 plus high subscription for essential Sky One - as I'm not into sports enough to pay for it. I'm getting a HD-DVD player later in the year too so I'd rather put the cash towards that.

I just want to basic PVR functionality to be more reliable.

Cheers
KableMan

W

wrightyred

Just had it installed today and found it to be very good so far very imprsesed.........

wrightyred

dan1979

Was very happy originally but then the HDMI port died and recently have had loads of recordings with the last few minutes missed off.

If the Sky box was the same price or say £150 to buy I'd be seriously researching changing over.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
KableMan said:
If average was an option I'd have voted for it. I'm now on my third box, have lost count of the fail recordings, phantom recordings and re-formats i've had to do and I can still get the block box/No Live TV lock up on a whim, series record let me down completely while I was on Holiday the other week and I've had tuners fail and still also get recordings that never happen.

As a PVR it is decidedly average to poor in my opinion speaking as former Topfield Freeview PVR owner.

The HD content is severly limited - I'm disappointed that more of the BBC stuff hasn't made its way onto BBC World to save me using up the pitfully small HDD with HD recordings.

But the PQ is largely awsome even on SD (barring ITV which is mostly perthetic) via HDMI and the HD is superb when we get it.

So I actually voted Good as for me even with all the bugs Telewest have been pretty good on the CS front and have refunded me every single TVDrive payment I've made (and will continue to do so until it is fixed), plus I've had my line rental refunded two a couple of times and I've been given a free broadband upgrade for 12 months.

So while I'd prefer the TVDrive to get fixed I don't want to pay Sky £300 plus high subscription for essential Sky One - as I'm not into sports enough to pay for it. I'm getting a HD-DVD player later in the year too so I'd rather put the cash towards that.

I just want to basic PVR functionality to be more reliable.

Cheers
KableMan

I find it strange that you're happy to be refunded your TVDrive payments.
Wouldn't you rather have something that does what it's supposed to??? :confused:

I don't want to be phoning TW every 5 mins, I don't have time.
I want a product that does what it says on the tin.
And TW HD doesn't do it, simple.

As for expensive subs, TW is more expensive, every time.

And seeing as your username is Kableman, do you get favours???

KableMan

You misunderstand me. I most definately want it to work and I have often said to Telewest on the phone that I "want it to do what it says on the tin" and I'd much rather the bloomin thing just worked as when it fails its always at the most inconvenient moment and then this poll doesn't have a rating low enough to describe my anger at it.

However, for me right now, there are no other viable alternatives. Sky is, for me, too expensive i.e. the £300 up front charge, the £15 per month premium for HD over and above the usual TV package subscription, and as a non-sports person I'd be paying £15 for Sky One essentially, plus the fact that I'd then have to make alternative arrangements for my phone and broadband access, and at the end of all this I'd still risk having bugs and interruptions to my service (the Sky box has them too - I don't know the details but doubtless it has its own quirks).

So I had to look at it objectively and even with all the PVR faults I cannot fault the customer services - and yes a measure of good CS is their willingness to give you your money back - I'd still like the engineers to be more knowledgable and I'd like the faults to be fixed but that will come in time and in the meantime I'm getting a good deal on my phone and my unlimited broadband access plus I'm getting excellent all round SD PQ, access to superb BBC HD and ITV HD (I did watch all the World Cup) plus a half decent PVR when it decides to work. So I could not in all honesty say I'd ditch the TVDrive or slag it off completely. Now if I had to keep paying as well on top then I'd have voted poor but I'd still struggle to cancel as the SD PQ is so much better than over SCART but if I had to I'd switch back to my Freeview Topfield PVR but not over to Sky HD. Not until there was much more content available.

And no they don't do me any favours :D

Cheers
KableMan

def

Novice Member
I voted Poor. I've posted enough times about all the problems I have, but the only thing that lifts it out of an "Awful" rating is that when it does work it's pretty good. The problem is mine doesn't work more than it does.

Dazeon

Novice Member
For some weird reason mine will absolutely NOT record 'A Town Called Eureka' on Sky One, no matter how I record it, i.e. the record series option or pressing record whilst it's on, recording a single episode... Nothing works! :suicide:

M

mistycat

This is a very interesting poll from an economics point of view. Early adaptors are 2 to 1 more likely to put up with issues as they realise they are early adaptors. If this survey is correct TW can write off 20% of their early adaptor customers at least and possibly double this once the market spreads into mass viewers. this is, of course, if the problems are not resolved. The problem for TW is, how long can they take to fix the problems compared to how quickly the reputation of TVDrive goes down the toilet as another product that has faults? This is a real problem as it has affected many products in the past and the longterm reputation of companies.

It appears statistics can prove anything, Misty.

You say 20% are going to cancel. I see only 3%.

Which is only 1.5% higher than the usual rate of churn anyway (from TW own annual report).

K