Are you collecting on 24th - Important

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard a rumour over the weekend that Apple would not be accepting cash payments for the Iphone 4, although this did not affect my purchase I have been digging a little and have had it confirmed by the manager from Bluewater branch, they will only be accepting card payments for the phone.

He mentioned that if anyone has cash, they should attend a store before the 24th and exchange it for a gift card which will be accepted. you will not be able to exchange cash for gift cards on the day.

He said they will be performing further checks on the day to ensure that those who are collecting are the account holder.

Hope this helps someone :smashin:

Can you clarify if this is for all iPhone 4 purchases or just PAYG / Contract.

It seems silly to me that if you want to buy a sim free phone you can't use cash! Not everyone has credit cards / time to go and buy vouchers.

Can you clarify if this is for all iPhone 4 purchases or just PAYG / Contract.

It seems silly to me that if you want to buy a sim free phone you can't use cash! Not everyone has credit cards / time to go and buy vouchers.

He told me this is in place for all purchases on the day.

I just cannot understand what Apple hope to achieve by isolating a section of it's customer base. Like all things Apple though, I am sure they simply don't care because they know for every person they turn away, another will be waiting. :thumbsdow

He told me this is in place for all purchases on the day.

I just cannot understand what Apple hope to achieve by isolating a section of it's customer base. Like all things Apple though, I am sure they simply don't care because they know for every person they turn away, another will be waiting. :thumbsdow

Well if true this is insane, and is going to cause riots on the day. I wouldn't fancy being the manager of an Apple store on Thursday.

The Manager of the Victoria Square, Belfast store said cash is fine for the sim free ones.:confused:

The Manager of the Victoria Square, Belfast store said cash is fine for the sim free ones.:confused:

And this is what annoys me...... My wife phoned earlier in the day and was told cash was fine, I phoned again this evening and spoke to the manager who told me this is Apple policy for the 24th.... :(

Shame they all seem to be saying different things. :thumbsdow

If they are that pedantic, cant you just buy a gift card on the day with cash then trade gift card for iphone?

It's a pity Apple doesn't have a concrete policy, it's not like this is the first product they have ever released.:facepalm:

Sounds like BS to me.

If you think I have nothing better to do that spurt BS on an internet forum then that's your problem, make the call yourself :thumbsdow

I was simply relaying information I have received which I thought was for the good of the community.

Can you pay the subsidised handset price with a Visa electron card? It's a different account from the one I'll be paying the direct debit with.

If you think I have nothing better to do that spurt BS on an internet forum then that's your problem, make the call yourself :thumbsdow

I was simply relaying information I have received which I thought was for the good of the community.

Sorry, I meant no offence to you and I should have been clearer. :blush:

What I meant was the info sounds like BS.

Apple are not going to start pre orders for a product such as the iphone and then suddenly change their payment policy without telling anyone in an official capacity.

If it were true, they could easily email all of us that pre ordered and tell us to bring cash, but that's not going to happen because they cannot realistically expect x00 or x000 people to each turn up with £500 or £600.

I wasn't having a dig at you, sorry that if it came over that I was. :)

[Edit] - Sorry, I got the wrong end of the stick as I thought you said that Apple were forcing people to pay by cash. :oops:

Either way, how can they force people to pay by credit cards?

Personally, I would always put anything over £100 on a credit card, but that's not the point.

Last edited:
This happened in the US with the iPad - Card payment only, so they could track/restrict number of (in that case ipads) bought per person, to stop people fleabaying.
Think it was on BBC, some woman tried to pay in cash but was turned away.

Sorry, I meant no offence to you and I should have been clearer. :blush:

What I meant was the info sounds like BS.

Apple are not going to start pre orders for a product such as the iphone and then suddenly change their payment policy without telling anyone in an official capacity.

If it were true, they could easily email all of us that pre ordered and tell us to bring cash, but that's not going to happen because they cannot realistically expect x00 or x000 people to each turn up with £500 or £600.

I wasn't having a dig at you, sorry that if it came over that I was. :)

No problems.. what we type can sometimes be misinterpreted. I just don't know what to believe now, Apple are useless with communications and the branch staff don't seem to clued up with matters. :thumbsdow

This happened in the US with the iPad - Card payment only, so they could track/restrict number of (in that case ipads) bought per person, to stop people fleabaying.
Think it was on BBC, some woman tried to pay in cash but was turned away.

It did happen in the States with the iPad, but Apple reversed the decision.

buy ipad using cash - Google Search

No problems.. what we type can sometimes be misinterpreted. I just don't know what to believe now, Apple are useless with communications and the branch staff don't seem to clued up with matters. :thumbsdow

First thing I would have done is phones other stores, then called Apple to tell them of this :smashin:

From one of the first links:-

"We want to make sure it's as fair as possible for people to get iPads. About a month ago, we said we'd like you to use a credit card when you buy your iPad, and that was the best way we could think of to make sure that people only bought two per individual," Johnson told KGO-TV. "And then it came to our attention that Diane [Campbell], through your story, was very interested in buying an iPad with cash, and we made a decision today to change that." Anyone will now be able to buy an iPad for cash as long as they set up an Apple account at the store, the story triggering a company wide policy change.

I am going into the store tomorrow, I have had just about enough of this, I will show the manager that and ask him to get final confirmation for me, or explain why Bluewater branch are able to deviate from company policy :thumbsdow

Well i was hopeng to pay by cash, for a sim free one. whats the deal with this? is it card only? This is getting more ridiculous every day, since the iphone was announced :rolleyes:

have just been on the phone to the trafford center,he says if your paying cash u will have to buy a voucher befor u buy the iphone,but will let u buy the voucher at the same time or just befor you get your iphone, & the same day,told the guy what i had seen on the internet,& he said its allways the same on a big launch.:)

I remember reading about the lady with the iPad, and Apple did seem to have a valid reason at the time for not accepting cash. It's a huge amount for a small (!) store like the Apple retail stores to be taking. You think, 50x £500 (minimum), is an awful lot of money to be kept in their tills/safes, but at the same time, leaves no consumer record of purchase...

So they want to refuse the Queens money?
I thought cash was legal tender that cannot be refused as a form of payment?
I understand that in-appropriate tender can be refused.
For example, wanting to pay £500 in pennies.

I understand they will be worried about having a large amount of cash on the premises, but there are systems in place for dealing with cash pick ups during the day.

I dare somebody to turn up with American Dollars and see what they say! :devil:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom