Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Are you buying plasma for screen size or small depth

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by cerebros, Mar 29, 2003.

1. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Just an idle question really - how many of you bought or are looking at plasma more for the physical depth benefits rather than screen diagonal size?

Personally I'm more interested in a set that gives me a decent size screen (~32") but doesn't take up a sizeble chunk of the room (yes I know i've still got to put my AV gear somewhere, but it not longer has to be under the TV). Plus, as we're unlikely to get HDTV over here anytime soon, I can't see the point of larger screens given the quality of source material available to us right now & the immediate future (that and the fact that I'm unliekly to have a lounge large enough to get more than 3 metres away from the screnn).

As most of my viewing is still analogue TV which doesn't, in my experience, hold up too well past 32" (WS), and digital TV is too artifact prone (again in my experience, although comparatively minimal). DVD would obviously stand up quite well on larger screens, but as I say, that's not what i watch most of the time.

I guess my ideal TV set would have the brightness, colour & contrast of a good CRT, with the geometry and thin unit depth of plasma, and cost the same as a decent CRT. (PAL and NTSC progressive capable of course, with HDTV compatibility on the off-chance that we ever get it over here...)

2. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    a bit of both is what I am looking for. Something bigger than a 32" CRT that won't fill up the room. Picture in comparison to a CRT and to be used mostly for TV watching. I've got a 55" RP for serious film watching :)

3. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recently had to lug a 32" crt up two flights of stairs between me and my dad(I currently reside in a loft conversion),not an experience I care to repeat and dread the thing going wrong!Taken as a point of reference this demonstrates the physical appeal of plasma!

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    If i could afford a plasma (which i cant:( ) It would be for size and quality. If i had a house (which i can't afford) I would wall mount it. And buy some nice speakers and a better amp and DVD (prog-scan) for it. As it is i can affford to do neither of these things. So i will have to wait:mad::mad::mad:. One thing i really want to do is mount a 17" LCD above a bath:) now that would be cool.
    All i need now is a well paid job that lets me play with toys all day and buy them dirt cheap to take home!!!

5. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    "I can't see the point of larger screens given the quality of source material available to us right now & the immediate future (that and the fact that I'm unliekly to have a lounge large enough to get more than 3 metres away from the screen). "

I thought this,
    but was really taken aback by the quality of scaled-up, standard definition, progressive scan DVD video on a large high-def projector, such as from a £2K video scaler or £1K Home Theater PC.

I run a 7ft wide screen, viewed from a little over 3m away (1.5 picture widths). With progressive scan films, they really don't show any "video" type scanlines or the like.

Still probably a big projector is not really the sort of thing most people would tolerate in a living room.

regards,
    Rob.

6. BigH

BigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    cerebros,

you have obviously not spent any time looking at plasmas with different sources. I have a 50" Panny and even with so called "poor signals" like Sky digital you can achieve stunning results. I also employ an ISCAN Ultra to improve Sky quality and it really works. I'm afraid if you sat your 32" screen next to a properly setup quality 50" Plasma you'd probably not want to look at your TV again. I had a 36" Phillips wide screen prior to the Plasma, beleive you me there is no contest. Size and image quality is everthing my friend!

I would be surprised if any Plasma owners would ever consider downsizing - comments welcome.

BigH.

7. ROBERTT

ROBERTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    What is an ISCAN ultra:confused:

8. BIONIC MAN

BIONIC MAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Mine would be for the room it takes up :smashin:

You say What room as it's going above the fireplace on the wall

That's when I get around to buying one ( Which One ) , also
    when I finish the painting etc etc etc :mad:

But one day the room will look so Cooooooooool with the Plasma above the Fireplace

:smashin:

9. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
  10. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Any of you guys/gals upgrade to a 42"/43" plasma from a 32" CRT?
    Where you satisfied with the increase in size :)eek: )
    I'm thinking of replacing my 32" CRT with a plasma & due it's thinness it will be about 18"/24" further away from the viewing position.
    Will I notice much difference in screen size?

Cheers, Paul

11. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Simply put, you can't get such a large screen and such little depth without a plasma. Front projection is an option, but I feel not something that is effective in all light conditions. Rear projection is very effective, a friend's 46" is impressive. Plasma is the closest to a CRT (normal) TV, and since it's a pannel, I can have an A/V rack with all my video equipment below. Although in my system I required a second rack for the audio equipment....

Just have a look at a 36" CRT TV. Then try to lift one....

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

12. Joel

Joel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BigH: How is your IScan connected? Do you have a progressive DVD player? How would you best describe the picture improvements after installing it? I am buying plasma soon (for size and great looks) and I have thought about getting an IScan as well, but I am sceptical at to whether it will improve PQ on all sources enough to justify the cost.

Joel