1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you buying DVDs at release as much as before

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by grimoor, Aug 8, 2005.

1. grimoor

grimoor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I just realised that I'm not buying as many DVDs at release as I used to. I think partly that the cinema release to the DVD release is so short these days (especially as you can get region 1 movies), that I still have the cinema experience in my head and am not in a rush to buy the DVD knowing that a drop in price of the DVDs happens quite quickly now as well in the constant Virgin and HMV sales.

I think the Lord of the Rings box sets have been my only instant buys, but that was for the extended versions.Is it just me or do others feel the same?

2. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I used to , on the basis that things like Band of Brothers Tin box set, Spiderman 4 disc set were really limeted editions, now i realise I can buy them today, and probably 5 years doown the line still, i give it a few months and pick things up in the sales.

3. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Hardly buying any DVD's (with the exception of TV series, ER, 24 etc etc)

Roll on HD :thumbsup:

4. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +326
    my dvd buying has slowed down big time in recent years, i cant recall buying a dvd on release except (lord of the rings/star wars) i find mysself waiting for sales.

maybe its the new hi def (either Blu Ray or HD DVD) coming out soon that i am holding off buying the top titles, who knows maybe its the fact that there is nothing new worth getting.

5. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
    I am holding off a bit for HD to arrive but I have been buying some older budget titles recently. As I have had a HD tv for 10 or so months now I think these budget buys are dvd's that were released at the begining of the year. Also these forums havent helped as certain threads and posts have lead me to buy dvd's on recomendation. I seem to be buying allot of series lately.

6. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I never have bought that many on release, there's usually been that many others that've been out for a while that I want to get first.

7. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    I tend to wait for them to get on specials. Unless I really liked the movie. I also wait until I can get a DTS version of the movie.

8. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    Thats pretty much like myself really, i havent purchased a dvd for a while now, infact the last one i got was probably ROTK extended edition.

9. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    I find myself waitng more and more for special offeres in the buy 3 for £20 sales. Unless it is a movie that I really must have right this very second, I think this is the way it will stay for me. There is nothing worse then paying the full retail for a DVD and then finding it cheaper a couple of months later in a sale. :(

10. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,496
    No - I used to get maybe 2 or 3 DVDs a week - but after countless 5 for £30 deals at Virgin offering titles only a few months old I realised just how much of a waste of money it is

Only now buy titles that I definatley really really want to see (Sin City and Danny the Dog, along with 24) and just wait on the rest

Even joined one of those rental services

11. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    So have i, i find myself using that more as opposed to buying. In the past i would have brought a dvd and if i didnt like it then trade it on, now i just rent and if i like i might buy.

12. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,375
    I still think that the majority of my purchases are on release day, I just pre-order them months in advance and forget about them, then they just turn up on or before release day.

13. 7 of 9

7 of 9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just thought i would say that since sony realesed there superbit range i never by there non superbit dvds anymore, i do not see why i should spend my money von extras i wont ever watch and a lot of the time ruin the film andthe movie magic of a move and i would rather spend my money on a better movie experiance than usless extras.

and i think more companys should come out with out with a simaler range e.g. warner i would love to watch the matrix trilogy in dts i can i only how sweet that would be

14. fathazza

fathazza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    im definately buying less dvds at full price then before. I think it's just because i dont see why i should spend £12-20 on a film at release date rather than waiting 6 months and picking it up for £6-9

I think the dvd companies are learning tho, especially with tv boxsets, no one in their right minds would buy all the x-files series at £90 a pop, but at £30 a season its much much more attractive... £17 a season for 24 was just bargaintastical

15. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I'm not buying as many on release as well. Waiting for the price drop which can be a short as three months (sometimes even less). I'm also not buying much above the £12-13 level, the days of the £19.99 purchase are gone for me.

16. Battle

Battle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +912
    Last thing I bought at full price was the Return of the King box set - and even then I had vouchers so it cost me a tenner less than normal - everything gets reduced after a couple of months nowadays - so unless someone does a good deal on a new release (as sometimes does happen) i wait till it comes in the sales. 10 quid is about as much as im willing to spend on a normal DVD now - with that going up slightly for double disk sets (and of course less than that is always preferable)

17. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  18. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never buy region 2 DVDs on release but I used to buy quite a few region 3 new releases since they used to be priced under £10 for a double DVD release, sometimes it would be released months before the UK DVD release and some times before the cinemas here. Unfortunately it seems the price of region 3 DVDs seems to be on the rise and more comparable prices to region 1 and 2. So unless the DVDs contains DTS sound and I really really want it I'll wait for it to come down in price.

the rising dollar seems to bring up all of the prices of DVDs globally so I've reduced my spending drastically.

this year I've noticed more spending on TV DVDs especially with series being priced more realistically. I don't mind paying £30 for a 22 episode season as the previous £70 - £100 was mind-bogglingly overpriced especially for something which has already aired on TV and costs no more than a blockbuster movie for the whole season!

19. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Have to admit I still buys lots of DVDs on release date largely because I prefer watching movies at home than in the Cinema and thus, for many films, the DVD is the first I see of a film. The fact that it is reduced several months later isn't really that significant to me.

I am also looking forward to HD DVD/BluRay but I'm not going to slow down my DVD purchasing until they arrive!

20. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    The last dvd’s I bought at release were the LotR and Matrix boxsets. Price deflation occurs quite quicly so you don’t have to wait too long when you can pick them up for <£8.

21. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509

You mean it wasn't 24???????? :nono:

22. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Buying less becuase baically the quality of films lately is very poor and I have pretty much I want in older films.

Like many others on this forum I've started to buy more TV box sets recently

23. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

I'm definitely buying less, mainly because I'm skint half of the time, but I have to agree, the quality of movies avialable to buy are gettting worse and worse.

Pooch

24. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I'm definitely buying less, still buying TV series when I can afford them but holding off for HD now :)

25. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Keeping up with new releases here but I am a firm beleiver that DVD is here to stay for a long time yet :D

26. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree that the quality of new films is very poor at the moment.

27. cmcg55

cmcg55
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Less and less and less. In fact, my collection size has reduced dramatically. I used to have around nearly 400 movies at one point, but one weekend I went through the lot of them, and ended up piling over 75% of them into a box (or three) and carting them off to the local record/disc exchange.

Don't know why the mood struck me, but I suddenly realized looking at the shelfs that there were an absolute load of them I had watched once and I couldn't see myself ever being in the mood to watch again (i.e. the kind of stuff I probably should have just rented in the first place). I find that now that's the path I tend to follow: rent it to check out if it's got "repeat watchability", and if so, only then buy it.

There's also very few movies that come out in the cinema that I feel I have to go to see them rather than wait a few months for the DVD to be available (and a few months is all it seems to be these days) - in fact, I'd say in the last 5 years, I've probably averaged no more than two cinema visits a year (so far this year: Batman Begins and Star Wars ROTS).

As far as what's left on my shelves - there's only about 80 or so now, but it's all stuff I know I'll watch again and again. Most recent purchase was the Jaws 30th Anniversary Edition (obviously loads of rewatchability), but prior to that I hadn't bought anything in quite a few months - in fact, the last one I bought prior to that was back in about April (Friday Night Lights, which I think was released on DVD in January or February, so hardly "on release"). The last "immediately on release" one I bought seems to be a commonly-mentioned one in this thread - the ROTK Extended Edition which came out just before Christmas last year and I had on pre-order from Amazon.

28. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I’ve only seen one more (WotW) but I agree with your point. With most releases I decide to wait for the dvd release. It hasn’t helped that the times that I have been have been unpleasant (people talking; kids at the back messing around etc.)

But even when it comes to dvd releases I’m buying less and less. Like yourself, my collection has a lot of junk (although you’ve sorted yours out now). There’s a lot of films that should only be rentals but the price of purchasing a dvd versus the price of rental is so small I often just buy. The problem is that now I have a lot of rubbish I’ll never watch again. I really need to sit down and my collection a spring clean! :)

29. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,435
    At those prices!?!? :eek: Don't be silly.

I wait a few months then buy them on here from you lovely people for between £5-8 :D :rolleyes:

tris

EDIT: I suppose if it is somthing really special I'll buy it as soon as it's released.

:lesson: Well there's a lesson to be learned here, if you buy it from here then your paying less (fair enough), and If you can't buy it here get someone else to buy it for you. Make a new friend and make out it's your birthday or somthing ;) :smashin:

30. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
    I never rent as I always forget to return the disc's on time. Kiss the girls cost me £30 to rent and it was a **** movie.

Besides as Tejstar says its only a few quid more for a purchase and then its yours. Blockbusters charge around £4 for a rental. :eek:

Besides its nice having a good dvd collection.