Are you better off or worse off financially due to the pandemic?

Desperately worse off, financially, mentally and physically, still employed but no longer paid, mentally stuggling with rhe ongoing nature of the problem, and physically becoming a wreck due to what I can no longer do or what I am extremely limited to be able to do.

No support network near me as the work friends turned out to be just work colleagues, my father has a heart condition so cannot take the risk of coming to see me, my only brother who lives close by had a brain injury (hrdrocephalus) so also cannot take the chance, and the only income I can generate at the moment is sales on AVF and even that is very hard at times.

To put it mildly 2022 better be the year the lottery finally comes good.

Desperately worse off, financially, mentally and physically, still employed but no longer paid

No support network near me as the work friends turned out to be just work colleagues, my father has a heart condition so cannot take the risk of coming to see me, my only brother who lives close by had a brain injury (hrdrocephalus) so also cannot take the chance, and the only income I can generate at the moment is sales on AVF and even that is very hard at times.

To put it mildly 2022 better be the year the lottery finally comes good.
Can't the DWP pay anything? If your time getting SSP is expired you may be able to claim ESA even though employed. Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

Last edited:
Hi drapedindarkness,

So sorry to hear of your position, but there must be some local volunteer group that you could turn to for advice and temporary assistance.

I realise that it's embarrassing to have to ask for help, but when this is all over you could repay them by joining their group and helping others.

Best wishes,

TG.

Can't the DWP pay anything? If your time getting SSP is expired you may be able to claim ESA even though employed. Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

Thanks very much, form filled out over the telephone, a very nice lady says I qualify 100% :thumbsup:

Hi drapedindarkness,

So sorry to hear of your position, but there must be some local volunteer group that you could turn to for advice and temporary assistance.

I realise that it's embarrassing to have to ask for help, but when this is all over you could repay them by joining their group and helping others.

Best wishes,

TG.

Not embarassing, I've helped others in the past and even received help from some awesome people on AVF, I've been homeless and living in a layby, I'm not embarassed to admit I've needed help at times, although I'll admit to a small level of depression that I've needed to do so again, thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.

Thanks very much, form filled out over the telephone, a very nice lady says I qualify 100% :thumbsup:

Not embarassing, I've helped others in the past and even received help from some awesome people on AVF, I've been homeless and living in a layby, I'm not embarassed to admit I've needed help at times, although I'll admit to a small level of depression that I've needed to do so again, thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.
Glad it was useful.
Don't forget to also look into claiming for mortgage or rent assistance and council tax rebate.
Hopefully the 'very nice lady' mentioned that to you.

You may still be able to claim for warm home discount (£140 knocked off the fuel bill) depending on your energy supplier. Warm Home Discount Scheme although claims are usually made in the autumn of the previous year (i.e. claim in 2020 for 2021 payout).

Worse off.

I am still working but no Payrise and ever increasing rent, bills and general life costs do not help the situation.

Worse off.

I am still working but no Payrise and ever increasing rent, bills and general life costs do not help the situation.
But that would be no different to not being in a pandemic?

The question of this thread is whether you're better or worse off due to the pandemic. Are you saying you'd be better off without the pandemic?

A bit worse off - semi-retired but do exam invigilation work at three schools. So that work all but dried up last year (apart from a short period in November prior to a member of the Yr11 year group testing positive for CV and the school then taking the decision to delay and then cancel the YR11 Mock exams).

a lot better off - travel, parking, hotels, lunch, coffees, all adds up

Better off financially because we've had much less opportunity to spend money and we're retired so our income has remained the same.

Worse off mentally because of being bored and missing spending time with grandchildren.

Better off financially and work wise; working from home is brilliant.

Worse off for all the obvious negatives of lockdowns. Hasn’t affected my mental health but could see if we are still doing all this next year, then it would.

Better off in that I've saved a couple of thousand (maybe more) but worse off in that I relied on my savings for a decent interest rate to top up the pension, which is next-to-zero. So neither worse nor better.

Better thankfully else I don't know if I'd still be here.

The one thing getting me through this is knowing I'd be able to live a good life afterwards (I plan to quit my job and travel indefinitely, not wasting another second).

Worse off for sure. OH had to give up IT contracting and go permie so a huge drop in income and I only get paid if the work is there. Since lockdown one, I think I have only earned 2/3 of my part time wage. But at least we have worked throughout I guess.

I'm better off as I do the online shopping.

My wife is shielding so no longer spends hours in the supermarket spending a fortune and coming out without the loaf of bread she went in for 😂😂

Better off initially, as not going out and having savings on fuel etc.

But then I lost my partner in November, and his income was 60% of our household income, so now I'm skint.

Better off, Mainly due to a lack of eating out.

No stopping off on a dog walk, can’t be bothered to cook, fancy a katsu curry and there’s a great place in town, or simply haven’t eaten out that week.

Im no longer better off as Ive used the money I've saved from not having to pay £30-40 in fuel a week (due to working from home) on new speakers..

some people have lost their job, lost access to goods and services they have already paid for (for example, cancelled holidays).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom