1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you a Queen fan...............?

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Mike Swannick, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am and have been since the mid 70's. I still believe that the death of Freddie Mercury was the single biggest loss to R&R since Elvis. A great showman with a fantastic & unique voice which couldn't be touched, in my opinion. Then I saw Gary Mullen win Stars In Their Eyes a couple of years ago with a good powerful performance. 'Not bad' I thought, for a soundalike.

Since then I have resisted the temptation to see any tribute bands because, well, there was only one Freddie Mercury and no-one could take his crown. (The recent talk of George Michael joining Queen as the new front man would have been an interesting amalgamtion of talent. GM was the only male performer to do the Queen songs any just at the FM Tribute gig). As a side note the DVD of said gig missed out some crucial moments. Should really have been a 2- disker.

Then an ad in the freebie local rag caught my wifes eye. 'A Night Of Queen'. Another tribute band performing at..........Woodville Halls, Gravesend. A typical 1970's Civic centre type venue. Hardly compares to August 9th 1986 when the real Queen performed to me & another 200,000+ at Knebworth Park. This particular tribute band had SITE winner Gary Mullen fronting it. Interesting.

Dilemma. Do I go and risk scarring the memory of 1986 if the performance doesn't extend beyond a show winning version of It's A Kind Of Magic? Or do I go and accept that it will at least be a massive group karaoke event? Do I want to see some bloke who isn't FM pretending to be FM?

Well, I went.

The bar contained a number of people wearing various Queen tour t-shirts. I too am a big fan, but choose not to wear the same appariel. Partly because, like these people, I want the unobtainable. I want Freddie Mercury back singing Queen songs. But I can't have it and I choose the muted display of support as a form of acceptance of that fact. I hoped for the sake of those fans who were literally wearing their hearts on the t-shirts that we weren't going to be TOO disappointed.

The stage was only 20% of that used by FM at Knebworth. The seats were small & uncomfortable, the venue was dull, lifeless & lacking ambience, the beer was mediocre and over priced as were the concessions.

The show was fantastic!

None of the above really mattered when GM got going. His voice is a good likeness, but REALLY hits the spot with the power vocals. He has the ability to recreate that raw but tuneful growl that FM used to do. Queen fans will know what I mean. Gary Mullen clearly shares the same vocal genes as Freddie Mercury & could do it where it really mattered. Not only for AKOM, but for the whole show (pretty much a note for note reproduction of the Magic Tour). From the power of Hammer To Fall to the serenity of Love Of My Life he didn't fail to impress. For anyone who wants to close there eyes, listen and drift back to anytime between 1973 & 24th November 1991 this man is a Godsend.

I went to the show with a metaphorical notebook & pen to record the times that he missed the mark. The notebook remains blank.

Lets not forget the band! The lead guitarist gets 8/10 for his performance. 9/10 for having his own Red Special & 10/10 for not trying to look like Brian May. Ditto for the bass player & drummer. Keyboard chap pumped out all the right notes and was able to give the music a good feel of authentic reproduction.

So, if you are like me and want to hear the music of Queen performed live & authentically, with a bit of copycat in there too, and most importantly, hear a mimic'ed vocal performance worthy of the great man, then locate the show I saw and see it for yourself. You will not be disappointed. I personally promise you that.

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Good one:) I have seen a couple of queen tribute bands and they have all been pretty dire. It was FM voice that was the real crux of the band, bending with Mays guitar work. I cant say Im a Queen fan, but I like what they did, so its great if a band can recreate that performance. I shall keep an eye out incase they are performing again.

3. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    That certainly sounds like a good firm recommendation.

What is the tribute band called, or is it simply advertised "a Night of Queen". here's hoping we dont accidentally see a different band who aren't as good

4. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just checked and the show itself is called 'One Night Of Queen'. The big identifying fact it that the show is fronted by Gary Mullen. It isn't actually promoted as a tribute band as such.

Woodville Halls, Gravesend: 01474 337611 for general enquiries.

I've just called them and the flyers for the show don't give any tour dates or anything more information. Get onto the mailing list for your local venue and wait.........

5. chriskenrick

chriskenrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the best efforts post Queen that I've heard was during the Buckingham palace concert. They used several vocalists, but the one that stuck out seemed to have a name similar to Freddie's real one, hence possibly a relative? Anyone know the one I mean?

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,334
    Just to change the subject slightly.....
    I was at a garden centre yesterday and there was a brass band trying to play Bohemian Rhapsody - God it was awfull. I thought about purchasing an Uzi and putting them all out of their misery !
    Going back to the original posting in this thread - I've never heard of Gary Mullen but it sounds as though this show could be well worth a visit

7. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    Are you a Queen fan...............?

My Avatar says it all.

Been a fan since 1979.

Seen 'em six times live.

Never been one for tribute bands i'm afraid.

Collected every Queen record, video, book etc under the sun and have now amassed quite an investment in rarities.

Bit dissapointed in Queen's attitude to DVD.

Releases are far and few and when they do release one (Video Hits 1) they make a complete pig's ear of it. Pic quality was awful and the 'experimental' use of DTS 4.1 instead of 5.1 is absurd.

QUESTION....

Anyone know where I can order the new DVD-A release of The Game in the UK pref.?

8. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >>>>Never been one for tribute bands i'm afraid.<<<<

Kevo,

Me neither, but I'd give this one a go if you get the opportunity. If nothing else, I'm sure you'll be impressed by Gary Mullens voice in it's own right.

9. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    did a search for Gary Mullens and A Night of Queen.

Got a hit in coming attractions for Bridlington (Yorkshire East Coast).:clap:

unfortunatley it was March 2003. Doh!

10. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +436
    Kevo,
    I don't know of any UK sites that are selling The Game
    at the moment, but here is a review that might have you
    grabbing your credit card and ordering from overseas.....
    http://www.dvdangle.com/reviews/review.php?Id=3072&beenHere=1

11. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +436
  12. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    Thanks bowenjones

Only 13.99.
    It's in the cart !

13. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The Game DVD-A arrive yesterday (Sat). As I said in another post (DVD Talk section - hopefully soon to be moved here!), it's not quite as dramatic a mix as A Night At The Opera DVD-A, and to my dismay, the guitar solo in Save Me has been criminally buried, but it's still an excellent sounding disc. Hope you enjoy it - I think you will!

14. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I loved queen's music - which i suppose is a little out of the ordinary for a 19 year old lol. i thought Gary Mullen was a fantastic sound-a-like, but for me,George micheal destroyed "somebody to love". Whereas Mullen efortlessly captured the mood,tone and style of freddie, Micheal just didnt do anything for me.

15. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't like the way that Queen fans are always these sick obsessive middle-aged men who're constantly looking for freddie replacements...

Just listen and enjoy!

16. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,334
    I've just had a drinking evening and listened to lots of different music - some of which was early Queen (which I prefer to the later stuff). I suppose I could be classed as a middle aged sad git - but I do like Green Day, Tool, System Of A down etc etc. I have come to conclusion that there will never be a replacement for Freddie and, as you say, we should just enjoy everything he's left us.

17. ewin

ewin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes i`m a queen fan and i also a bit fed up as i had to order the dvda of the game from the us and not from uk as it`s not released yet,why?. and it`s still not came yet.shame on dvd4music.
    Anyway i feel that their dvd area of music is also a bit slow plus the price they want for it ,i feel a con comng on ,i payed £17 for a nato dvda from amazon. and now it took a whole year for the game to be released and Brain may wants all the studio albums to be released in surround sound ,but if it takes a year to one ,so when made in heaven comes to dvda the year will be 2019 and by that year ,i don`t think dvda will be around.
    Has anyone got any ideas of what should be the next dvda.
    i think kind of magic or Innuendo.

p.s On their web page they say that the next dvd will be live at wembley in june ,i hope in 5.1 and full screen as it was shown in.

18. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Was it a year between NATO and The Game? I understood that the first pressings of NATO had some sort of fault, but I was only aware of it's existance this year, so I only got mine in Feb.

Hopefully they'll get them out a bit quicker than one a year. I'd like to see A Day At The Races next, then Q2, Sheer Heart Attack, and News Of The World, in no particular order - just quickly!