Are you A Man who is Vain / Pride in your appearance

WeegyAVLover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are then I genuinely tip my hat to you.

I genuinely wish at times I had that gene (or willingness and effort) to take a pride in myself more.

That is not say I do not try and look smart for work and when I go out. I work in an office so smart shoes, shirt and trousers are what I go for and I do not look terrible but I am defo not the "sharp dressed man" in the office.

When I go out I try and look smart with what I have and my wife, god love her, she tries the best with what she has to work with but I look like a pack of sausages tied in the middle when I wear a belt (which is most of the time) and she gives me all the compliments of the day for the way I look but to be honest I am happiest in my DIY gear or shorts.

I do some basic beauty regime of cream in the morning and cream at night, but even that is a hassle for me, I just wish looking good was less of an effort.

Anyone else think they do grooming and dressing with ease? I have had a few mates who, even when wearing casual gear just looked good and I wish I was able to do what they do... but then I realise I cannot be bothered.

This is not a slagging thread just curious if anyone else is the same as me or if I am genuinely a terrible human being? :rotfl::laugh::D

I wish I could look smart but with the line of work I do, I always look like a Tramp.

A man who takes pride in his appearance, yes. Am I vain, imo, no.

I enjoy looking good and taking pride in that, be it clothing or looking after myself.

I think its important.

Remember you are what you eat.

The better I feel about myself, the more effort I put into my appearance. Or maybe it's the other way around.

I'm just coming out of a spell of not giving a toss how I look - after a cycling accident in December, I grew a beard to allow the scars on my face to heal, and spent the last four months missing two front teeth. Finally got the teeth replaced last week, and shaved off the beard as a mother's day gift to my wife. (She hated it.)

Now I just need to shift this belly ahead of summer, and I'll be set. :)

I take pride in my appearance too, but I'm not vain.
If I were vain, I'd watch what I eat, lose a bit of weight and go back to the gym.
But I'm comfy with my shape, always dress smartly and I'm always well groomed (shaved/showered/smell nice etc.)
I don't envy anyone who's comfortable looking like a bit of a slob, not one iota.

Everyday for me, blue chinos, blue button down work supplied shirt (very good quality M&S ones), black leather or blue suede brogues... Am I vain, no, do I care about what I wear, yes..

In addition if you go in the loos I often see the salesmen in there 'preening' themselves in the mirrors, pots of hair products etc..

Last edited by a moderator:
I take pride in my appearance too, but I'm not vain.
If I were vain, I'd watch what I eat, lose a bit of weight and go back to the gym.
But I'm comfy with my shape, always dress smartly and I'm always well groomed (shaved/showered/smell nice etc.)
I don't envy anyone who's comfortable looking like a bit of a slob, not one iota.

Well that makes me vain by your standards!!

To be honest I dont think that constitutes being vain. Being vain would be always looking in the mirror, endless selfies on FB etc....keeping fit, watching what you eat and doing some training is not being vain.

I always used to, and still do when I go out for a drink etc. However, the rest of the time I just can't be bothered anymore. I haven't had a shave for over a week and have just bought 3 tops from TKMaxx for £40 - easily the least I've ever spent on that many tops.

Around a year ago I started shaving my head to no.4 purely because I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of styling my hair anymore. I actually really like it now though and am glad I did it.

It's priorities really. I'm 37 now, married with a young child and not looking to tap anything that moves anymore so it doesn't really bother me that much.

I wouldn't let myself put much weight on though, in fact since I started cycling I've pretty much lost what little stomach I had. I was around 74kg and have lost a couple of kg already.

I think it's clear the question "are you vain?" invariably precipitates the same response as the question "are you a bad driver?". It's always other people. :D

Everyday for me, blue chinos, blue button down work supplied shirt (very good quality M&S ones), black leather or blue suede brogues... Am I vain, no, do I care about what I wear, yes..

In addition if you go in the loos I often see the salesmen in there 'preening' themselves in the mirrors, pots of hair products etc.. Mongs.

That's a bit strong :eek:

I suppose I am vein as I use a whole host of products but really that is to try and stay looking younger....:blush:

keeping fit, watching what you eat and doing some training is not being vain.

Hmmm, not sure I agree.
I used to be a regular gym goer, I was there almost every week night for 10 years+
I think a bit of 'self-admiration' goes hand in hand with going to a gym.
If you genuinely never admire your own body in a mirror though, fair play.
But I admit I used to, and so did everyone else I knew who went to the gym.

I wear clean underpants every day, does that count?

Hmmm, not sure I agree.
I used to be a regular gym goer, I was there almost every week night for 10 years+
I think a bit of 'self-admiration' goes hand in hand with going to a gym.
If you genuinely never admire your own body in a mirror though, fair play.
But I admit I used to, and so did everyone else I knew who went to the gym.
Just to be clear, they admired their own bodies and not yours ????:D

I think I used to be,not so much as I get older. But I do like the confidence boost of spending a little time getting ready for a night or day out. Hopefully I get the balance right between being cool and trying too hard.

I have no problem with people being vain, it makes me laugh seeing them admiring themselves in mirrors, shop windows, etc but there are far worst offences and anyone who makes me laugh is alright in my book.

I possibly painted a picture of myself being a slob above, which I am not. Well okay I have a lot of weight to lose but I am not a couch potato.

What I was trying to say is when I go out anywhere I try to make an effort to look as smart as I can. However one of my favourite phrases is "you can polish a turd but at the end of the day it is still a turd!" that is me making an effort.

I suppose if If there was any question in my ramblings is:

Do you make an effort to look good?
If you do is it something you find natural?
Do you find it difficult/a chore to do?

Wear a suit everyday for work. Like to dress kind of trampy on the weekends.

Facial hair: Full, thick and square. Nothing sculpted. If you have to sculpt it, that probably means you can’t grow it.

I train to ensure I'm here for my kids and the various other benefits it provides.

I've never really considered not having a gut or being physically fit and active vain.

I train to ensure I'm here for my kids and the various other benefits it provides.

I've never really considered not having a gut or being physically fit and active vain.

It is our job to have fun to ensure that children want to grow up. Eating salad and exercising is not fun.

Vain as you like here and no apologies for it :)

I go to the gym so I look good, the health benefits are secondary. I always do my preening at home though, you look like a right tosser touching yourself up in a mirror in public

Always enjoyed looking good and always will. Being good looking helps though, I dont think I could handle being a munter. Most blokes I know who say they dont care are butt ugly. Just show me a good looking bloke who doesnt at least make some effort.
And I do use a body trimmer - who wants to jump in the sack with an ape man ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom